CA-20/SurveyUSA: Rep. Jim Costa (D) trailing by 10 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:28:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 House Election Polls
  CA-20/SurveyUSA: Rep. Jim Costa (D) trailing by 10 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA-20/SurveyUSA: Rep. Jim Costa (D) trailing by 10  (Read 5518 times)
Dgov
United States

« on: October 26, 2010, 04:09:03 AM »

Hispanics making up 36% of the Voters in a district that is actually about 63% Hispanic is pretty reasonable.  California itself is about 38% Hispanic, and they make up only about 22-ish percent of voters.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »

Couple of problems with this poll. The district is only 31% Republican, yet this poll has 40% Republicans and upped the amount of conservatives from the last poll.  It's very hard to trust SurveyUSA, they've been very messy this year.

Well, this is a midterm election in a Hispanic-majority district.  I wouldn't be all that surprised if Republicans wildly out-perform their numbers here.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:52:57 AM »

Couple of problems with this poll. The district is only 31% Republican, yet this poll has 40% Republicans and upped the amount of conservatives from the last poll.  It's very hard to trust SurveyUSA, they've been very messy this year.

Well, this is a midterm election in a Hispanic-majority district.  I wouldn't be all that surprised if Republicans wildly out-perform their numbers here.

Actually California is one of the few states where there is no enthusiasm gap, perhaps due to the marijuana legalization proposition.

Well, I'm pretty sure that prop 19 is a much bigger draw in Santa Monica and San Jose rather than Bakersfield and Fresno.  Hispanics sometimes spectacularly under-perform their registration totals, and since this is a central valley district where considerable numbers of Hispanics have no intention of actually becoming US citizens, I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyone have the 2008 numbers for comparison?  Assuming the results are actually 50-40-10 Hispanic, White, and other, Costa still loses 48-46, and that's probably the best turnout numbers then Democrats could possible manage.  Whites are more Republican than Hispanics are Democrat in this district, which is the big reason why this race is a potential R pickup at all.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »

Actually California is one of the few states where there is no enthusiasm gap, perhaps due to the marijuana legalization proposition.

Um ... if your proposed path to victory lies on the backs of stoners, well ...

The stoners are likely saving boxer and thus the senate for the democrats....so yeah.

Kind of Ironic if you consider that Boxer herself opposes the measure.

I wonder what would have happened if Fiorina or Whitman came out in favor of the proposition.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies