Opinion of LBJ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:19:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of LBJ
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Your opinion of the 36th POTUS
FF (R)

HP (R)

FF (D)

HP (D)

FF (I/O)

HP (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Opinion of LBJ  (Read 7711 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »

One of the few genuinely evil people elected to the presidency.  (And we got another one right after!  Yippie!)
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »

Few?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »

Well, we've elected quite a few sociopaths, but he's one of the few who regularly acted on a malicious basis.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »

A great President.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 05:07:57 PM »

FF (D) due to the Great Society and Civil Rights.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 05:21:42 PM »

Well, we've elected quite a few sociopaths, but he's one of the few who regularly acted on a malicious basis.

I don't know it seems like the last 20 years have been particularly bad in terms of that. But yeah, one of the worst obviously.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »

Very mixed feelings towards him. Don't really know which to put right now.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 06:41:33 PM »

A major jerk. I'm going to say HP.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 06:46:03 PM »

Extremely Horrible Person
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 07:05:53 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2010, 07:07:58 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

Somewhat negative
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:23:57 PM »

A similar list could be conjured up for WWII. Would that make WWII wrong?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »

Well, for starters, the Veitnam War was the only war the United States has ever lost. However, in WW2, we saved the world. (Although Russia and Britian deserve more credit than we do.)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 06:04:55 AM »

Maybe, if everybody here thought Vietnam and WWII were otherwise the exact same war....but thankfully, most of us have, at least, a (very) basic understanding of history and know the difference between the two wars.  I'd explain to you the difference but I think you know and are just being a dick for whatever reason.

But yeah, LBJ sucks more than most Presidents because he killed millions of people that didn't need to die.  Don't expect most people on the left to ever acknowledge this.  The blinders they have on are HUGE.

If only JFK was a Pubby then they could just say, "well the Republicans started it and blah blah blah" and have a much easier job of keeping their conscious clean.  Hell, some of them have no problems throwing JFK under the bus here...but we all know it was LBJ that escalated the war so that millions more could die.  For whatever reason domestic policies trump brown people dying when a Democrat is in the White House.

...que the insults and/or idiotic defense of the war in Vietnam....
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 01:39:44 PM »

Maybe, if everybody here thought Vietnam and WWII were otherwise the exact same war....but thankfully, most of us have, at least, a (very) basic understanding of history and know the difference between the two wars.  I'd explain to you the difference but I think you know and are just being a dick for whatever reason.

But yeah, LBJ sucks more than most Presidents because he killed millions of people that didn't need to die.  Don't expect most people on the left to ever acknowledge this.  The blinders they have on are HUGE.

If only JFK was a Pubby then they could just say, "well the Republicans started it and blah blah blah" and have a much easier job of keeping their conscious clean.  Hell, some of them have no problems throwing JFK under the bus here...but we all know it was LBJ that escalated the war so that millions more could die.  For whatever reason domestic policies trump brown people dying when a Democrat is in the White House.

But dead0man, you don't understand!  Liberalism is the ultimate anti-communism!  Therefore waging wars where millions of brown people die as part of a dick waving competition between liberal and communist states is completely justified!  Maybe if you didn't have your Republikkkan blinders on you would see that wars started by liberal Democrats in countries that they have no business interfering in is 500% more justifiable than any wars started by angry racist reactionary Republikkkans!  It isn't killing if it's liberal Democrats doing the killing!  It's FREEDOM FIGHTING!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 02:35:10 PM »

I don't want to start a huge debate here when I say that I support the Vietnam War in principle (had I been there), but I do. However, no President should have risked American lives there if we did not intend to win. If we weren't there to win, then we should have packed up and gone home immediately.
hantheguitarman

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 03:23:09 PM »

You do realize that some people (my family included) actually had their lives and liberties saved because of the Vietnam War, right? We can argue that the war might not have been pragmatic, but don't pigeonhole all "defense of the war in Vietnam" as "idiotic." Think before you blindly repudiate the Vietnam War. Some of us actually had our lives and liberties saved because of it.
hantheguitarman

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »

I don't want to start a huge debate here when I say that I support the Vietnam War in principle (had I been there), but I do. However, no President should have risked American lives there if we did not intend to win. If we weren't there to win, then we should have packed up and gone home immediately.

Agreed.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »

Wasn't winning in Vietnam simply containing communism to the North?
Wasn't that the objective?
I think that was LBJ's whole purpose in going in.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »

...and how'd that go?
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »

Bad, but someone argued that we didn't go in to win.
I don't think we went in with the idea, "Hey, we're going to lose this war...On purpose!"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 03:53:01 PM »

We didn't go into lose of course, that would be stupid.  What we did do was tie the hands of the military, making what could have been over and done with in short order last far too long....and then we cut and run after the public soured on the war (because it lasted far too long and killed far too many of our, often conscripted, boys).

We shouldn't have been there in the first place, but we were....thanks in small part to JFK and in very large part to LBJ.  That's the point.

(I'm not saying the military didn't mess up plenty of things during the war, they certainly did...but when the war was over, we didn't blame LBJ or the Congress critters that assisted him, we blamed the military and that is like blaming the gun that killed you, not the guy pulling the trigger.)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 04:53:05 PM »

As far as "going in to lose", from what I've hears (and to some extent read on this forum) is that Nixon thought the war unwinnable and that America should just stick it out for the next few years before heading home. That's why I brought up the stuff about going in there to win.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »

You do realize that some people (my family included) actually had their lives and liberties saved because of the Vietnam War, right? We can argue that the war might not have been pragmatic, but don't pigeonhole all "defense of the war in Vietnam" as "idiotic." Think before you blindly repudiate the Vietnam War. Some of us actually had our lives and liberties saved because of it.

Dude yeah I was about to comment on how Han is one of the least dickish people on this entire forum, but I felt more compelled to make a joke post instead.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 12:47:27 PM »

I said it plenty of times, but it's worth repeating : one of the best Presidents ever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies