United States the 22nd least corrupt country, first time out of the top 20.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:37:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  United States the 22nd least corrupt country, first time out of the top 20.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United States the 22nd least corrupt country, first time out of the top 20.  (Read 1742 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-slips-to-historic-low-in-rb-3603521040.html?x=0

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, this is dissapointing, but not particularly suprising.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:37:49 PM »

This list is corrupt.

Obama is clearly more corrupt than Somali warlords and most likely was raised by them.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:25:04 AM »

It's only going to get worse thanks to the coming election.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 12:25:38 AM »

Why will we become more corrupt as a result?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 12:37:56 AM »

Because the Republican candidates have been financed by millions of dollars of secret corporate and foreign money. They won't forget that when they start "governing" (and I use that word very loosely to describe the activities that the GOP Congress will undertake).

Of course, returning the United States to 3rd word oligarchy status is the Republican party's eventual goal, so this report is yet another terrific success for them.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:40:11 AM »

Because the Republican candidates have been financed by millions of dollars of secret corporate and foreign money. They won't forget that when they start "governing" (and I use that word very loosely to describe the activities that the GOP Congress will undertake).

Of course, returning the United States to 3rd word oligarchy status is the Republican party's eventual goal, so this report is yet another terrific success for them.

And the Democratic candidates haven't been....LOL!

Lief, how long are you going to keep going with your opebo imitation? I assume you are doing this as a joke?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:41:16 AM »

Both major parties are funded by unions/corporations/whatever.....so what else is new?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 12:44:59 AM »

Can we just all agree that everybody here is completely full of sh**t?

Corruption is probably going to save western civilization.  You know what happens when you have massive debt but don't know where the bodies are buried? You become Iceland and Lehman Brothers.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 12:49:31 AM »

Both major parties are funded by unions/corporations/whatever.....so what else is new?

Ignoring the fact that you're equating corporate money and union money for some ridiculous reason, if this has always been going on, and we have only been getting more corrupt, then it stands to reason that with money now able to be spent secretly, and it being spent this year in much greater quantities than before, we will become even more corrupt.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:02:58 AM »

Corruption is probably going to save western civilization.  You know what happens when you have massive debt but don't know where the bodies are buried? You become Iceland and Lehman Brothers.

Because Somalia, the most corrupt country in the world, is doing perfectly fine.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »

Overrated: US slips to #22 least corrupt
Underrated: Afghanistan at #2(tie) most corrupt and Iraq at #4
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »

And the Democratic candidates haven't been....LOL!

Lief, how long are you going to keep going with your opebo imitation? I assume you are doing this as a joke?

Opebo isn't really a fan of the Democrats.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »

Because Somalia, the most corrupt country in the world, is doing perfectly fine.

Somalia is corrupt among itself.  We're corrupt on a global scale.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 10:55:53 AM »

How can Somalia be corrupt? It has no government to speak off that can be corrupt.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »

Lief, with all due, you're sounding like Chicken Little here......lol.   The world won't end.....it's ok.  Wink
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »

How can Somalia be corrupt? It has no government to speak off that can be corrupt.

Somaliland and Puntland aren't governments?

The Ethiopian propped up "state" in Mogaidashu can't be corrupt?
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 01:03:31 PM »

Are you saying that US should be lower and Iraq and Afghanistan should be higher?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »

Somaliland and Puntland are not recognized states and probably not counted for this thing. That 'transitional government' controls, what, a hotel room?
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 01:28:10 PM »

I just found some detailed results!
http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2010/results

Thailand is 3.5 . . . What does opebo have to say about that?
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »

Somaliland and Puntland are not recognized states and probably not counted for this thing. That 'transitional government' controls, what, a hotel room?

Well my point was "Somalia has no government to speak of which can be corrupt" isn't true.. since I think its rather likely both Somaliland and Puntland are corrupt to the bone.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »

I hope I turn out to be a Chicken Little, Gramps, I really do. But what I'm seeing doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence for the future.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 02:04:02 PM »

Are you saying that US should be lower and Iraq and Afghanistan should be higher?

I'm saying that people are paying too much attention to the US slipping (not very interesting) and not enough attention to the fact that Afghanistan and Iraq are still so terrible, even with the US involvement in both countries.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 08:31:04 PM »

That's perfectly reasonable. But I don't think they'll ever be in good shape.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 09:24:17 PM »

Lief, with all due, you're sounding like Chicken Little here......lol.   The world won't end.....it's ok.  Wink

Perhaps it won't end, but I once again will have a government that only represents the already rich and powerful and gleans money off of the middle class and working poor through ever declining wages and slowly increasing unemployment.

It will be a return to particularly corrupt "legislating for the highest bidder" system under John Boehner.

Hell, with the way some Republicans are talking... social security and medicare are not guaranteed even for people of middle age.  And if you think the Republicans won't do it because it's political suicide.... ever heard of the frog in a pot of cold water slowly heated up?

Plus... how long before they impeach Obama?  Well.. I suppose that would be tough without the senate.. but you know it's in the back of many GOP senators' minds.  Impeach him for being uppity.

I can't wait until the GOP is relegated to being a regional party of the solid south and the grown ups who put people before profit and long term prosperity over short term gain can govern again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies