The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:43:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises (Official Third Nolan Batman Thread)  (Read 43429 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 27, 2010, 09:25:49 PM »

The title has been announced. What do you think?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/109547-third-batman-to-be-titled-the-dark-knight-rises

Also it will not be in 3D (great!) and The Riddler won't be a villain in it (bad!) despite clearly leading in the villain buzz race since TDK came out.

I hope this thread will be as epic as the TDK thread from a couple of years ago.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:23:58 PM »

Ouch at no Riddler. Maybe they'll have Mr. Freeze.

Nah, Nolan specifically ruled him out a while ago, actually.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 10:50:39 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2010, 10:52:42 PM by Eraserhead »

Ouch at no Riddler. Maybe they'll have Mr. Freeze.

Nah, Nolan specifically ruled him out a while ago, actually.

That more or less eliminates all of the good tier-one villains. What about Clayface?

Uh...has the Penguin been ruled out?

Nolan actually mentioned years ago that he wouldn't be likely to use him in the series (although I don't think he categorically ruled him out).

My thought is that they might go with a more modern villain (or villains) like Hush now but that's just a total guess on my part. There is also buzz about a possible female villain which I think would almost certainly have to be Catwoman or Talia al Ghul.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:54:16 PM »

Hey, I love The Penguin!

Also I can't really see Clayface coming into this series, PiT. I wouldn't have any problem with that personally though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 11:06:41 PM »

Yeah, the title is pretty ''meh''. I bet the WB bigwigs pushed to have The Dark Knight as part of the title again. I think Shadow of the Bat would have been a much cooler title.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »

Why rule Hush out? I bet Nolan could make Thomas Elliot's story pretty interesting.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »

Why rule Hush out? I bet Nolan could make Thomas Elliot's story pretty interesting.

Hush is one of my favorite villains, but the story itself required the fifty or sixty years of backstory that had developed by then, what with all the villains and flashbacks, such as references to Harold, and Oracle.

Obviously several things would have to be changed or removed but it wouldn't be impossible to do.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 01:00:09 PM »

Big Announcements!

Anne Hathaway is playing Selina Kyle (and presumably Catwoman)

Tom Hardy is playing Bane

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/113998-anne-hathaway-to-play-selina-kyle-in-the-dark-knight-rises

Kind of surprising. I hope there's at least one other major villain in it.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 05:06:33 AM »

Big Announcements!

Anne Hathaway is playing Selina Kyle (and presumably Catwoman)

Tom Hardy is playing Bane

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/113998-anne-hathaway-to-play-selina-kyle-in-the-dark-knight-rises

Kind of surprising. I hope there's at least one other major villain in it.

I'm hoping for a calculating villain to be in it....Bane just seems too....brute strength to me to fill that role.

And I find it funny that the title of the film seems to be the exact opposite of the word Knightfall.  Nolan certainly has some twisted sense of humour.Tongue

Yeah I really still feel like he should throw either the Riddler or the Penguin in there. I guess that's not gonna happen though. Maybe Hugo Strange?

I bet Nolan's take on Bane will be pretty cool though. Hopefully he'll have a pretty epic fight in it with Batman... and let's not forget, the character is a genius in the comics.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 02:19:43 AM »

Some news and rumors:

JGL is apparently going to be in the movie... but as who?
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/125364-joseph-gordon-levitt-joining-the-dark-knight-rises-

Anne Hathaway Catwoman costume test said to be "phenomenal".
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/125274-anne-hathaways-dark-knight-rises-costume-test-qphenomenalq

Robin Williams may play Hugo Strange. (This would be very cool but it's just a rumor at this point.)
http://batman-news.com/2011/01/28/robin-williams-as-hugo-strange-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

Also apparently an office has been setup for TDKR in NYC. Smiley

Man, it'd be awesome if they shot it over here!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 06:23:32 PM »

Where's Robin?

I don't like Nolan's serious Batman. It's a comic book! It's meant to be camp and ridiculous. Not pretentious and humourless.

Uh, most comics aren't camp and ridiculous. The Batman comic was originally quite dark. Just until now people associated it mostly with that silly Adam West TV show.

Correct... and of course it is a fairly dark comic today and has been since the 70s. It really only became childish and ridiculous in the 50s and 60s because of the power of the Comic Code Authority.

Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy the Adam West show and some of the other silly versions of the character/story but at the end of the day I certainly prefer the more serious versions offered up by Bob Kane, Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Chris Nolan, etc.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »

I'm going with either Riddler or Robin....just because those would make me happy. Smiley

Levitt would work well as a villain though, one positive aspect of GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra was Levitt's portrayal of the Doctor/Cobra Commander.

Nolan has essentially ruled those characters out though. I agree that he would make an awesome Riddler though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 10:58:07 PM »

Where's Robin?

I don't like Nolan's serious Batman. It's a comic book! It's meant to be camp and ridiculous. Not pretentious and humourless.

Uh, most comics aren't camp and ridiculous. The Batman comic was originally quite dark. Just until now people associated it mostly with that silly Adam West TV show.

Correct... and of course it is a fairly dark comic today and has been since the 70s. It really only became childish and ridiculous in the 50s and 60s because of the power of the Comic Code Authority.

Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy the Adam West show and some of the other silly versions of the character/story but at the end of the day I certainly prefer the more serious versions offered up by Bob Kane, Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Chris Nolan, etc.

That and the whole flying saucers and b-movie monsters craze. Amusingly most of that is canon again though.

Enter Grant Morrison.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »

While we're on the subject of "darker" Batman, what's everyone's opinion of "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller?

It's a classic, of course. Also check out Batman: Year One.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2011, 09:30:55 AM by Eraserhead »

While we're on the subject of "darker" Batman, what's everyone's opinion of "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller?

It's a classic, of course. Also check out Batman: Year One.

Don't forget The Killing Joke.  And in a non-comic format, Batman: The Animated Series is one of the greatest interpretations of Batman ever.

Yeah, I just mentioned that one because it was also by Miller.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 09:33:54 AM »

Long Halloween and Dark Victory were much better than anything Miller's written.

Miller has written a boatload of crap in recent years but I really can't agree with that. Those are great stories though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 12:21:21 PM »

Long Halloween and Dark Victory were much better than anything Miller's written.

Miller has written a boatload of crap in recent years but I really can't agree with that. Those are great stories though.

I've read Dar Knight Returns, Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory. They're all good but I love the epic Batman vs Superman battle. Miller's drawing, IMO has been crap for at least ten years, same goes for his writing style. While Dark Knight Strikes Again was mostly trash, there were some good qualities, same goes for the Batman and Robin thing he did a couple years ago. The best part of that was Jim Lee's drawing.

Did he ever even finish that thing? Usually an issue comes out every year or so.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »

NOT SO FAST

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/21/joseph-gordon-levitt-dark-knight-rises/

Good. I hope this means he's somebody more interesting than Falcone is.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »

It seems like he'll most likely be Black Mask now. I can't really get too excited over that prospect either to be honest.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 02:31:40 AM »

It seems like he'll most likely be Black Mask now. I can't really get too excited over that prospect either to be honest.

What if he's Jean Paul Valley, like come of the comments in that article speculate?

Oh Christ. I hope not. Horrible character.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 02:51:55 AM »

Hmm, well I'm guessing that most of the people who are posting in this thread know this by now but:

http://batman-news.com/2011/04/19/joseph-gordon-levitt-is-john-blake-marion-cotillard-is-miranda-tate-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

I remain a bit skeptical about who these two really are though, especially in Cotillard's case considering this other piece of news:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/04/11/josh-pence-cast-as-young-ras-al-ghul-in-the-dark-knight-rises/
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »

$250+ million dollar budget.

http://batman-news.com/
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »

Didn't Wally Pfister want to shoot the whole thing in IMAX?  Is that still going down?

I believe so.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 09:34:27 AM »

The official TDKR site is online but so far this is all that happens when you click on it:

http://www.thedarkknightrises.com/

I'd have to say that that's legitimately creepy... and awesome.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 10:20:38 AM »

Well... we now have our first look at Tom Hardy as Bane!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167341-activity-on-the-official-the-dark-knight-rises-site
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies