PEI Game
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  PEI Game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17
Author Topic: PEI Game  (Read 36994 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »

Bedford Bay

After an exhaustive search of the north shore, reports are the the only location within the Parish that is suitable for a wharf on the north shore is in Lot 37, east of the Sand Bars.

Bugger. I suppose that means that ships would be unable to enter the northern seas?

I will be visiting the "rural" areas of Lots 35 and 36, specifically the southern part of Lot 35 and the northern part of Lot 36, with the intent to address the specific concerns of citizens of these Lots. I suggest to these citizens a possible adjustment of the boundaries of these Lots, with Lot 35 consisting of the area north of the Hillsborough River and Lot 36 consisting of the area south of the river. If I am met with a positive response, I propose these adjustments to the Senate.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2010, 04:12:55 PM »

I agree with the Honourable Provost of Grenville that Reeve Lance's gross negligence in the administration of his Parish can no longer be ignored. The good citizens of Charlotte Parish deserve better. As Chancellor of Bedford, I offer to the citizens of Lot 34, should they be willing to join Bedford Parish, the same service, courtesy, and competent administration that the citizens of Lot 7 were offered by the Honourable Director of Halifax, and indeed the same as I offer my own citizens.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2010, 06:57:50 PM »

A member of your church approaches and asks you to build a large cathedral in Kensington.

How much would such a construction cost the church approxemetly?

I will respond in a few hours (I just woke up)

The Provost authorizes the dispatch of surveyors to the North Coast of Grenville Parish for the purpose of determining whether a wharf may be built on Grenville Bay and the cost and placement of a highway that would take the place of a North Coast link heretofore proposed.

The Provost wishes to thank the Chancellor for his magnanimous offer of a ferry service along the north coast of the island. However, the people of Grenville are averse to such a mode of transportation, as they fear the loss of their produce to the storms and vicious currents which plague the northern seas. They prefer the construction of railroads, or at the least good highways, to aid the transport of their goods.

The Provost is appalled at the disservice Reeve Lance has done to his Charlotte Parish. He wishes to make it known throughout the parish that an active parish government such as his or the Chancellor of Bedford's or the Duke of Hillsborough's is better equipped to deal with the local concerns of the people than a hermit who is necessarily disconnected, by the nature of his residence, from the needs of his parishoners.

Furthermore, the town of Rustico, located along the north coast, is closer to the Grenville Parish town of Cavendish than any other Charlotte Parish town, and can be more easily linked with Breadalbane than the town of Cornwall. If Lot 24 is willing to join with Grenville Parish, then the Provost is willing to treat the people of the Lot as equals and advocate accordingly for its welfare as a recluse cannot do. The Provost therefore approves of the Chancellor's plan to reappropriate the lots of Charlotte for the purpose of better governance.

Assemblymen from Charlotte note that while Grenville and Bedford can only criticize, that Charlottetown has proven that they are "more than a friend"

I'd also like to send my congratulations to the hounarble Director of Halifax, and congratulate him on the fact that his annexation was calm, peacful, and ended in bloodshed. God bless your heart dear director. 

Ended in bloodshed?  I don't know what you're smoking.Wink

By the order of the Right Honourable Director of Halifax, this State of Emergency is hereby ended.

I wish to make a formal declaration of open development of a "main street highway" so to say within Halifax Parish, beginning in Cape Wolfe in Lot 7, connecting Dublane, Hebron, Coleman, and ending in Foxley River.

I would like to create an exploratory committee as to the idea of the wharf.  This committee will determine it's feasibility, impact on the Halifax economy, and the surrounding enviornment, both short term and long term.

I would also like to announce the creation of a Habour in Egmont Bay, at the mouth of the Percival River.  Construction is to begin immediately on Harbour facilities and components for one patrol boat and two cargo ships are currently being produced in Ellersie and Dublane.

x The Director

I will get back to you shortly on all of these

A "highway" could be created, but there is nothing to run on it. Increasing the road to the highest possibly qualify over that distance would cost about 5,000$

A wharf could be constructed at Cape Wolfe for the cost of 7£

There is no suitable location for a wharf in that area of egmont bay.

Well i would at the very least like to build upon the road.  Would I be able to get away with $3000 by flattening it out and then paving it using stones?

This wharf will then be put under construction.

Are there any suitable locations for one in the area that won't conflict with my good friend from Richmond?

The cost is for a gravel road, 3,000$ may not provide for full year-round cover.

As for a wharf you will need to be more specific.

How much would a wagon or stagecoach cost? How many roads Are fit for their travel?

Also, how is my city's cathedral?

A coach could be constructed, but based on size (one horse or two) will be different costs.

Each town has a church, Charlottetown has many.

Bedford Bay

After an exhaustive search of the north shore, reports are the the only location within the Parish that is suitable for a wharf on the north shore is in Lot 37, east of the Sand Bars.

Bugger. I suppose that means that ships would be unable to enter the northern seas?

I will be visiting the "rural" areas of Lots 35 and 36, specifically the southern part of Lot 35 and the northern part of Lot 36, with the intent to address the specific concerns of citizens of these Lots. I suggest to these citizens a possible adjustment of the boundaries of these Lots, with Lot 35 consisting of the area north of the Hillsborough River and Lot 36 consisting of the area south of the river. If I am met with a positive response, I propose these adjustments to the Senate.

You can build a wharf on the northern seas, but only at the point noted.

Members of both lots think a re-adjustment would be a good idea, and wish for you to give the "go ahead"

I agree with the Honourable Provost of Grenville that Reeve Lance's gross negligence in the administration of his Parish can no longer be ignored. The good citizens of Charlotte Parish deserve better. As Chancellor of Bedford, I offer to the citizens of Lot 34, should they be willing to join Bedford Parish, the same service, courtesy, and competent administration that the citizens of Lot 7 were offered by the Honourable Director of Halifax, and indeed the same as I offer my own citizens.

Reports are that members of Lot 34 would "Rather join with Charlottetown" than your parish.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2010, 07:05:51 PM »

I agree with the Honourable Provost of Grenville that Reeve Lance's gross negligence in the administration of his Parish can no longer be ignored. The good citizens of Charlotte Parish deserve better. As Chancellor of Bedford, I offer to the citizens of Lot 34, should they be willing to join Bedford Parish, the same service, courtesy, and competent administration that the citizens of Lot 7 were offered by the Honourable
Director of Halifax, and indeed the same as I offer my own citizens.

The Honorable Reeve is a competent and capable adminstrator and does indeed show concern for his parish; please do not slander him so. His only fault is his disregard for direct involvement in extraprovincial affairs. The correct course of action here is not a crude disembowelment of Charlotte Parish! Hence my earlier proposal of a union between Charlotte Town and Charlotte Parish, in which Reeve Lance continues his administration of his current territory, but interprovincially his land shall be represented by a unified Greater Charlotte Parish. I believe this option is best for the people of the Reeve's parish. However, I understand the hesitance to alter the status quo, and suggest as a compromise that the honorable Reeve be allowed to select another Senator as his proxy in the Senate.

My city and it's rural counterpart are more closely linked than any other two parishes on the island, and I suggest that my representation would be best for the people of Charlotte Parish. I believe that Reeve Lance's deputy and his entire assembly delegation would agree on this.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2010, 07:11:04 PM »

The Deputy Senator, who is currently relaxing in a pool of warm water while smoking a pope, wishes to point out that Charlotte Parish, under it's oldest definition, includes Queens Royalty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Parish,_Prince_Edward_Island and that he is more than happy to discuss affairs including the internal operation of the parish with the mayor.

He also requests more beer, and wonders where his masseur is.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2010, 07:15:11 PM »

A member of your church approaches and asks you to build a large cathedral in Kensington.

How much would such a construction cost the church approxemetly?

You could build a massive, awe-inspiring towering cathedral for 3€
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2010, 07:17:48 PM »

I propose to him the reunification of Charlotte Town and Parish- with the Deputy Senator to be my own Deputy, of course with an increased salary. The Reeve can maintain his title, if he desires, and serve as the administrator of the non-urban sections of the combined parish.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »

The Deputy Senator, who is currently relaxing in a pool of warm water while smoking a pope, wishes to point out that Charlotte Parish, under it's oldest definition, includes Queens Royalty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Parish,_Prince_Edward_Island and that he is more than happy to discuss affairs including the internal operation of the parish with the mayor.

He also requests more beer, and wonders where his masseur is.

I propose to him the reunification of Charlotte Town and Parish- with the Deputy Senator to be my own Deputy, of course with an increased salary. The Reeve can maintain his title, if he desires, and serve as the administrator of the non-urban sections of the combined parish.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »

Despite my previous attempt to make the Assembly more equitable for each Parish being met with ridicule, I have not given up on this endeavour. It is imperative that each Parish and City have a equitable distribution of Assemblymen with regard to its population. To that end, I propose the following legislation:

[quote]
An increase in the membership of the Assembly to 127 members, to be apportioned among the various Parishes and Cities according to their population, as indicated by the latest censes figures. The apportionment is as follows:

Bedford Parish: 9 members
Charlotte Parish: 11 members
City of Charlottetown: 7 members
East Parish: 7 members
Edgmont Parish: 6 members
City of Georgetown: 2 members
Grenville Parish: 9 members
Halifax Parish: 7 members
Hillsborough Parish: 8 members
North Parish: 7 members
City of Princeton: 1 member
Richmond Parish: 13 members
St. Andrew Parish: 7 members
St. David Parish: 10 members
St. George Parish: 9 members
St. John Parish: 7 members
St. Patrick Parish: 7 members

The apportionment is based upon the sum totals of all Lots within a Parish. Lot 7 was counted as part of Halifax Parish. This legislation would leave the apportionment of each Parish's members among the lots the responsiblity of the Parish.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2010, 07:27:28 PM »

Nonetheless, the Provost's assertion that Lot 24 is more easily incorporated within Grenville than a combined Charlotte parish (which the Provost does not object to, owing to the Mayor of Charlottetown's reknown for fair governance) remains lucid and relevant. A look at a map of the island shows clearly the geographic disconnect between Lot 24 and the other lots of Charlotte Parish and that Rustico is closer to any town in Grenville than Charlottetown. However, the Provost does not desire conflict and would not dare infringe upon the sovereignty of another parish. He only wishes to make the facts universally apparent so that the people of Charlotte may seek an enlightened self-determination.

The Provost is eager to acquire a map of roads, tracks and cartpaths on the island so that his decisions regarding transportation may become even more informed.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2010, 07:28:51 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2010, 07:30:44 PM by His Excellency Chancellor Vazdul, Senator of Bedford Parish »

I don't think the Bishop would approve of what the deputy senator from Charlotte is smoking... Tongue

I warn that it would be a grave mistake for Charlotte Parish to surrender its status to the Mayor of Charlottetown. The conflict between urban and rural interests makes it much more prudent that rural areas be represented in the Senate by a rural Parish. I will wholeheartedly oppose any attempt by Charlottetown to annex Charlotte Parish.

The best way to resolve this issue would be to either split Charlotte Parish amongst its rural neighbours, or to strip Reeve Lance of his title and appoint a new Reeve, who will actually take the trouble to represent his people in the Senate.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2010, 07:37:38 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2010, 07:40:02 PM by The Noble and Majestic homelycooking, Provost of Grenville »

In light of the honorable Chancellor's concerns regarding the Charlotte Parish/Charlottetown, the Provost would like to reassert that any dissolution of the Charlotte Parish government must result in the power most fit to govern having dominion over particular lots and towns. The Provost asserts that Grenville would indubitably be most able to govern Lot 24 and Rustico, while the Chancellor is most able to govern Lot 34 and York. If the Duke of Hillsborough so desires, he would be also be entitled to annex Lot 32 and Cornwall upon the dissolution of the government. In the Provost's eyes, any attempt to seize these towns by the Charlottetown government will be viewed as imperialist and bellicose.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2010, 07:45:42 PM »

Bedford Bay

You can build a wharf on the northern seas, but only at the point noted.

Members of both lots think a re-adjustment would be a good idea, and wish for you to give the "go ahead"

My biggest concern is that the sandbars would impede the flow of naval traffic, making (for instance) a ferry service impractical or even impossible.

I propose the following legislation in the Senate:

[quote]
A readjustment of the boundaries of Lots 35 and 36.

The boundaries of Lot 35 shall be readjusted as follows: Bedford Bay and the northern seas on the north, the Lot 34 border on the west, the Hillsborough River on the South, and the Lot 37 border on the east.

The boundaries of Lot 36 shall be readjusted as follows: The Hillsborough River on the north, the Lot 48 border on the west and south, and the Lot 37 border on the east.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2010, 08:06:45 PM by Bacon King »

(NOTE: Condensed multiple posts into one for simplicity.)

To the Honorable Chancellor of Bedford:

I have no desire to "seize" any territory, sir, and only seek the best interests of the Charlotte's citizens. Why not let the elected leaders of Charlotte decide what is right for their parish, rather than making grandiose self-interested assumptions while planning to chop the land into bits? If there was still somehow any doubt which of us Senators keeps the welfare of the people of Charlotte Parish at heart, it is now gone. I stand firmly beside the people of Charlotte, both town and parish, against your would-be imperialism.

The boundaries of Lot 36 shall be readjusted as follows: The Hillsborough River on the north, the Lot 48 border on the west and south, and the Lot 37 border on the east.

While I do agree with this proposal, I believe you are free to handle the issue internally. In fact, I am sure we would all agree that allowing Senators authority to redraw the lines in other's parishes to be a potentially dangerous precedent.

Despite my previous attempt to make the Assembly more equitable for each Parish being met with ridicule, I have not given up on this endeavour. It is imperative that each Parish and City have a equitable distribution of Assemblymen with regard to its population. To that end, I propose the following legislation:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I support, and would vote for, this distribution.

Also, note that the assembly recently suggested this to our esteemed body:

2 - The assembly proposes to fund 50% of all wharfs, rail lines, and such improvements, and wishes to seek senate approval.

With a lack of specific Senate guidelines, I hereby suggest we vote on these two proposals. For simplicity's sake I shall manage this vote. One may assume that a majority vote is sufficient to pass any proposals that do not deprive a parish of money or property (I believe some form of supermajority would be necessary in such a case to prevent abuse of specific regions through the Senate. I do believe a written set of guidelines will be required, however).

Therefore, let us vote!

Apportionment Proposal: Aye
Commerce and Transport Proposal: Aye
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2010, 07:58:24 PM »

The Provost rejoins that unless the honorable Mayor of Charlottetown is prepared to extend a long rail or highway link to the town of Rustico, it cannot reasonably claim to be interested in its welfare, though the Provost believes that the highest judge in the Charlotte Parish case should be the parishoners themselves. Therefore, the Provost proposes that a referendum be held within the parish of Charlotte in which all able-minded and property-holding men will be given the opportunity to express their opinions as to whether they would wish to join the Parishes of Grenville, Bedford, Charlottetown or Hillsborough should the government of Charlotte dissolve. The Provost believes this to be a reasonable proposal and pledges to abide by the parishioners' decisions, as he hopes other governments will.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »

While I do agree with this proposal, I believe you are free to handle the issue internally. In fact, I am sure we would all agree that allowing Senators authority to redraw the lines in other's parishes to be a potentially dangerous precedent.

The Provost is fully in agreement with the Mayor of Charlottetown, and while he does not object to the Chancellor's reorganization scheme, he would be tempted to abstain from any vote on it in the Senate.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »

I have no desire to "seize" any territory, sir, and only seek the best interests of the Charlotte's citizens. Why not let them decide what they want, rather than making grandiose self-interested assumptions while planning to chop their parish into bits? If there was still somehow any doubt which of us Senators keeps the welfare of the people of Charlotte Parish at heart, it is now gone. I stand firmly beside the people of Charlotte, both town and parish, against your would-be imperialism.

This hypocrisy is coming from the same man who has already attempted to gain for himself a second vote in the Senate by usurping the authority delegated to the Reeve of Charlotte Parish! The city of Charlottetown and the Parish of Charlotte are very different places with very different interests. I reassert my opinion that the administrator of an urban area cannot adequately represent the interests of a rural area- to do so would be a disservice to the people of both Charlotte Parish and Charlottetown.

I move that Reeve Lance be expelled from the Senate on the grounds of negligence, and that a replacement be appointed as soon as practicable. I further move that the administrator of a City or Parish be required to reside in that City or Parish, and that a person cannot be an administrator of more than one City and/or Parish simultaneously.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2010, 08:09:13 PM »

The Provost rejoins that unless the honorable Mayor of Charlottetown is prepared to extend a long rail or highway link to the town of Rustico, it cannot reasonably claim to be interested in its welfare, though the Provost believes that the highest judge in the Charlotte Parish case should be the parishoners themselves. Therefore, the Provost proposes that a referendum be held within the parish of Charlotte in which all able-minded and property-holding men will be given the opportunity to express their opinions as to whether they would wish to join the Parishes of Grenville, Bedford, Charlottetown or Hillsborough should the government of Charlotte dissolve. The Provost believes this to be a reasonable proposal and pledges to abide by the parishioners' decisions, as he hopes other governments will.

While their elected leaders already hold the power to represent them, I do agree to the formality of a vote, albeit with one caveat: there would be no "dissolution" of Charlotte should its former borders be restored, it would simply be a merger and union between its existing government and my city government.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »

I withdraw my motion in the Senate to readjust the boundaries of Lots 35 and 36, and decree that the same be done in my official capacity as Chancellor.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »

While their elected leaders already hold the power to represent them, I do agree to the formality of a vote, albeit with one caveat: there would be no "dissolution" of Charlotte should its former borders be restored, it would simply be a merger and union between its existing government and my city government.

The Provost, accounting for the Chancellor of Bedford's recent proposal, would prefer that no change be made to the current government of Charlotte Parish or its borders should a more competent replacement for Reeve Lance be installed. He wishes to clarify further that the aforementioned referendum would not be binding and serve only as a check on any of our imperial tendencies, and would take place only if the Reeve is stripped of his title and any change in government structure for Charlotte Parish is proposed.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2010, 08:23:30 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2010, 08:42:09 PM by Bacon King »

edit: combined posts again to limit clutter.

I have no desire to "seize" any territory, sir, and only seek the best interests of the Charlotte's citizens. Why not let them decide what they want, rather than making grandiose self-interested assumptions while planning to chop their parish into bits? If there was still somehow any doubt which of us Senators keeps the welfare of the people of Charlotte Parish at heart, it is now gone. I stand firmly beside the people of Charlotte, both town and parish, against your would-be imperialism.

This hypocrisy is coming from the same man who has already attempted to gain for himself a second vote in the Senate by usurping the authority delegated to the Reeve of Charlotte Parish! The city of Charlottetown and the Parish of Charlotte are very different places with very different interests. I reassert my opinion that the administrator of an urban area cannot adequately represent the interests of a rural area- to do so would be a disservice to the people of both Charlotte Parish and Charlottetown.

You dare accuse me of hypocrisy? I simply seek the best for Charlotte Parish. My plan was suggested to allow the people of Charlotte proper representation in the Senate. I noted my availability for the position simply because I only trust myself among us to share their concerns; distant parishes are presumably apathetic, the Senator from Hillsborough has been acting as a madman, and Charlotte's other two neighbors have already made explicit imperialistic claims.

I can indeed properly manage a rural area. In fact, even if you don't trust my own judgement, note my proposal for the honorable Reeve to retain his administrative powers. There are thus only four differences that a union would mean for the people of Charlotte: more development thanks to an increased governmental budget, a stronger economy due to closer ties with my city, a strong voice in the Senate from my advocacy, and the increased prestige that comes from being politically joined to the national capital. While I mean no offense to you and believe you are an honorable gentleman sir, your argument here is wholly spurious.

Also, why must my fellow Senators bring disrepute upon the honorable Reeve? How is he negligent? Why should he be deposed at your whim? Are not the people of Charlotte Parish happy with the intraparish aspect of his rule?

I conditionally withdraw this acceptance. It has become clear to me that any such referendum would only serve to legitimize the ludicrous idea that Charlotte Parish should be dismembered. You argue that some residents of Charlotte would rather live under your rule. Yet why has no resident or official within the parish made any comment regarding these issues you repeatedly announce, except for when they speak in support of Charlottetown?

Any vote would be entirely at the discretion of the Reeve's government, of course, but if it were to occur any options offering secession to another parish would, in my opinion, be nonsense. Why should they vote to be annexed by an imperialistic parish if not a single resident of Charlotte has expressed such an idea? If the people of Charlotte are to have a vote, it would be on whether to remain independent or gain the powerful benefits of a unity with Charlottetown. I'd like to know the Deputy Senator from Charlottetown's opinion on the matter, as I do believe he is authorized to make decisions about the parish in the honorable Reeve's absence.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »

I withdraw my motion in the Senate to readjust the boundaries of Lots 35 and 36, and decree that the same be done in my official capacity as Chancellor.
This is done

(as for the rest of the discussion, I don't want to interrupt the debate!)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »

The Provost authorizes the dispatch of surveyors to the North Coast of Grenville Parish for the purpose of determining whether a wharf may be built on Grenville Bay and the cost and placement of a highway that would take the place of a North Coast link heretofore proposed.
The Provost is eager to acquire a map of roads, tracks and cartpaths on the island so that his decisions regarding transportation may become even more informed.

As intriguing as this debate is, the Provost must attend to the welfare of his people and seeks a report as to the progress of the survey.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2010, 08:53:51 PM »

Charlotte's deputy senator says
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2010, 08:54:47 PM »

My plan was suggested to allow the people of Charlotte proper representation in the Senate. I noted my availability for the position simply because I only trust myself among us to share their concerns; distant parishes are presumably apathetic, the Senator from Hillsborough has been acting as a madman, and Charlotte's other two neighbors have already made explicit imperialistic claims.

You are fooling no one. You claim to have Charlotte's best interests at heart, yet it never occurred to you to allow a native of Charlotte the Senate post, or its own Deputy Senator? Your actions were a blatant attempt to seize further power in the Senate!

I have made no imperialistic claims. I merely asserted my opinion that, should Charlotte Parish's government be dissolved, a division of its territory among its neighbours would be the best solution. This would allow the citizens of Charlotte Parish representation in the Senate without allowing any one Parish or City to become too large. I have since reversed that opinion, and I now feel that Charlotte Parish would be best served by one of its own.

I can indeed properly manage a rural area. In fact, even if you don't trust my own judgement, note my proposal for the honorable Reeve to retain his administrative powers. There are thus only four differences that a union would mean for the people of Charlotte: more development thanks to an increased governmental budget, a stronger economy due to closer ties with my city, a strong voice in the Senate from my advocacy, and the increased prestige that comes from being politically joined to the national capital. While I mean no offense to you and believe you are an honorable gentleman sir, your argument here is wholly spurious.

What exactly would be the Reeve's responsibilities under your plan? To act as a puppet? Who would hold the real power in Charlotte Parish?

Who would receive these alleged benefits, the people of Charlotte, or the people of Charlottetown? I can think of two valid reasons why you may not be up to the task of managing a union of Charlottetown and Charlotte Parish.

1. The conflict between urban interests and rural interests. As you are a competent Mayor, you may be able to manage one or the other, but it would be a great deal more difficult to deal with both simultaneously. And as you are unaccustomed to rural governance, I have grave concerns that you would be able to handle the latter at all.

2. The size of the union.  A union between Charlottetown and Charlotte Parish would have the largest population of any Parish on the island, by a significant amount. Combined with point 1, that would make your job much more demanding. I rather think you would be biting off far more than you can chew, so to speak. I must state again that you have no experience governing rural areas, and over 60% of the population of the union would be rural.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies