PEI Game
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:23:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  PEI Game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Author Topic: PEI Game  (Read 36997 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2010, 07:14:08 PM »

The Provost would also like to request an explicit deliniation of the powers relegated to various governmental bodies.
None was ever decided upon.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »

Can we have a rough estimate of how much certain things cost? Is £1 of in-game money worth (in a real-life modern day setting) closer to one dollar, one thousand dollars, or one million dollars?
All of the currencies are too "new" to have any such set value, however there are some rough ideas:

House 10-15£
Horse 4-6£
Cow 30-60$
Sheep 5-10$

Road building is cheap, rail building is very expensive.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2010, 07:35:24 PM »

I begin by accepting His Grace the Bishop of St. David's gracious invitation to his church. It is my dearest wish to live in a state of peace and cooperation with my compatriots, in the highest order of Christian virtue.

Second, I decree that a settlement, with a wharf, be built on Bedford Bay in Lot 36, with good roads leading to Mount Stewart and Tracadie. A similar settlement shall be built at the confluence of the Hillsborough and Johnstone Rivers in Lot 35, with a good road leading to Mermaid.
Workers will search for a suitable location along bedford bay and report back. Workers note that the southern end of lot 35 has some of the poorest people on the entire island as the land is very swampy and not suitable for farming. No suitable location for a wharf could be found in the southern portion of this lot.

Third, I ask that the railroad in the southern portion of Bedford Parish be rerouted through the town of Pownal, an integral part of Bedford's fishing industry.
A branch track of 2 miles could be constructed. Single track this would cost apx 65£

Fourth, I decree that the sawmills in Mermaid and Mount Stewart begin producing large boats capable of carrying cargo posthaste.
Construction of one large cargo vessel will take some 3 weeks, with a cost of 23£. Construction has begun, and your parish has 136£ remaining.

Fifth, while I support the proposal for a bridge across the Hillsborough River between Rosebank and Charlottetown, it is imperative that this be done in such a manner that does not impede the potential flow of maritime traffic on the river east of Charlottetown. I will not approve of any bridge that does not allow a medium sized cargo ship to pass.

Sixth, I most wholeheartedly oppose any movement of the seat of the national government. Charlottetown is an ideal location. However, the parish of Bedford is willing to construct stately residences for Senators and other officials of the national government in upscale Rosebank, convenient to the national capital, but much more quiet and friendly than the city itself.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »

Dear Chancellor, I am so glad that you've accepted my invetation. It is my belief that this conflict over the bay can be resolved by prayer, and friendly discussion between the leaders of the parishes involved. And to the dear mayor of Charlotteville, I'm more than happy to extend the invetation to you, and I shall be happy to see you here together with the hounerable chancellor and hopefully the Duke.

Also I must most desisevly insist on a peacful end to the Halifax military offensive. The church can not accept the bloodshed of fellow Christians on this island, and I therefore urge the Director to put down his weapons and find a way to resolve this in an orderly peacful manner.

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2010, 07:49:42 PM »

I will have no issue with sending the local militia to Lot 7, and it has been done so immediately.  However, I am not clear on the procedures of annexation of a fellow parish, and in order to not offend the Crown, I shall wait for further instruction before taking full control of the area.

But that also leaves the fates of Lot 6.  I will resign the matter of Lot 4 to North Parish, seeing that the Countess will undoubtedly take full control of that situation herself.

I shall not move the militia into Lot 6 as of yet.  However, if given the authority by either the Government or the Crown, I will immediately annex Lot 6 as well.

It will take some hours to send the orders to the parish, and some further hours to get people into position. The "invasion" can begin in the morning.

35 citizens are registered in the Militia, how many do you wish to send? Do you wish to ask them to bring horses, and if, having none, equip them with horses?

Do you wish to issue a order of battle (IE direct the troops) or do you wish for the commanders of the militia to do that themselves?

It is best for the commanders of the Militia to take charge.   My order is to split the militia into two groups, 13 troops and my top commander will annex Lot 7.  12 troops under the second-in-command will remain on the border of Halifax and will be prepared to move into Lot 6 when the need arises.  The remaining 10 shall stay within the Parish to keep ourselves defended.

It is by my decree that until this crisis is resolved, all other projects will be put on hold in Halifax Parish.

x The Director

The troops set out at 9am sharp and took a somewhat meandering route that lead them past the largest number of farms possible.

They arrived in the main settlement at 12 noon and saw no resistance. They were greeted in the village square by residents and invited into local homes where the troops were served a hearty lunch.

They returned to the parish by 2pm and informed messengers that the lot has agreed to become a part of Halifax parish and will pay their next set of tithing to Halifax. They confirmed the man claiming to be the assemblyman for Lot 7 is indeed so.

The Game Map: http://www.ridingbyriding.ca/AMSTAR/pei_map.gif has been updated to reflect this. If you do not see it, refresh.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2010, 07:56:15 PM »

A branch track of 2 miles could be constructed. Single track this would cost apx 65£

How much would a station on the existing line just north of Pownal, and a good road into Pownal cost?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »

A quality station could cost upwards of 10-15£, however the cheapest adequate station could be as little as 2£
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2010, 08:17:23 PM »

A quality station could cost upwards of 10-15£, however the cheapest adequate station could be as little as 2£

I authorize the construction of such a station and road. Something in the middle ground, £7-8 price range.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2010, 08:20:28 PM »

I authorize the construction of such a station and road. Something in the middle ground, £7-8 price range.

Construction has begun at the cost of 7£ and is expected to be finished by Friday of this week (week 2)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2010, 08:26:23 PM »

Being sunrise on Friday, the station is now complete.

Also note I added a "table of contents" on the first page that links to posts I've made in the thread that are of note.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2010, 08:45:07 PM »

Assembly.
I, the Right Honorable Chancellor of the Parish of Bedford, am greatly displeased that the provincial government continues to deny Bedford's rightful jurisdiction over Governor's Island and the surrounding territorial waters. These territorial waters are an integral part of Bedford, yet the provincial government continues to ignore the plight of our budding shipping industry. A stately residence in Charlottetown would be more than suitable for the provincial government's needs.

As Mayor of Charlottetown, I must give my thanks to you for recognizing the prestige of my city. While I do sympathize with your argument, as Charlottetown's maritime industries are similarly nascent, I believe the correspondence from the Crown on the issue demonstrates a problem does not exist as such.

This territorial dispute does raise another issue, however; I assume the vessels that berth at Charlottetown have a right of passage through the "territorial" waters of neighboring parishes, do they not? Raising this issue of coastal control gives me concern that rural parishes may seek to abuse their power and cause duress to the industries of our fair capital city. In particular, I was perturbed by your seemingly veiled threat to patrol the Hillsborough River with heavily armed vessels! Do understand that Charlottetown is the heart of our island, both culturally and economically. Any action you take that weakens my city will weaken you as a result. I do hope that cool heads will prevail.

In addition, as Mayor of the Queen's County Seat, I would like to suggest a county-wide conference regarding the future status of Charlotte Parish. Reeve Lance's utter negligence towards his duties is most striking.

Many assemblymen from the extremities of the island feel that Hillsborough Bay should be National property.

Many assemblymen from Queens County do not feel the need for any special county convention.

The Most Honorable and Majestic homelycooking, Provost of Grenville, offers his salutations to the various senators and leaders of the parishes of God's most glorious island. It is his sincere hope that through common cause we may gain lasting victory over the deleterious effects of ignorance, famine and insularity.

Taking up the major causes of concern for the good people of Grenville, then, the Provost wishes to express his support for the proposal that the administrative functions of the Government of Prince Edward Island be moved to the town of Breadalbane. It is in the interest of the entire island to have a capital located in a central location such as Lot 67 of Grenville, and the Provost is willing to offer any and all support to efforts moving in such a direction.

Second, it is imperative that the industrious yeoman farmers of Grenville be permitted a more convenient outlet for the sundry agricultural products of the parish. The Provost expresses his indignancy that the most fertile parish on the island has no outlet to the sea, and believes that the construction of a wharf and new rail line along the northern coast of the island running from Princeton to Charlottetown and passing through New London, Cavendish and Rustico would allow trade to flow more freely, permitting a newfound prosperity to pervade the island.

Third, the Provost is willing to allow the extant rail line currently passing through Hunter River to bypass the town and proceed straight from North Wiltshire to Breadalbane, in exchange for the aforementioned coastal link and necessary provisions for the economic well-being of Hunter River.

The Provost invites all other noble leaders of this most glorious island to confer with him so that the best possible solutions for our people may be arrived at.

Many assemblymen from west of Summerside are very supportive of proposals to move the Capitol, however, those from east of Summerside are generally opposed.

The assembly has voted to "examine" the costs of a new rail line.

First off, allow me to declare that my city is the only suitable location for our nation's capitol complex. We are the economic and cultural heart of our island; I mean no disrespect to the honorable Provost or the people of Breadalbane, but a farming community is simply not the proper location for our capital. Charlotte Town is not simply a parish, but a mighty city as well, and thus the only location with adequate infrastructure and facilities to be our nation's home.

The argument has also been made that Breadalbane is appropriate as a "central" location. Central for who? The majority of our island's parishes are closer to Charlotte Town. We are not only the social, cultural, and economic heart of Prince Edward Island, we are in fact the geographic heart as well. I have nothing but respect for all our island's leaders and citizens, but this issue is a matter of principle in which I will not compromise.

I must raise another issue- my city is grossly underrepresented in the national assembly. We have, for example, more citizens than either Egmont or East Parish but half the representatives.  As a matter of fairness, decency, and justice, I must demand that the people of Charlotte Town receive equal representation in our nation's legislature.

Regarding other issues that have been raised, I note my continued unwavering support for greater connectivity and trade amongst all parishes. I support a bridge across the Hillsborough River, the right of Winsloe residents (and all others, for that matter) to work within Charlotte Town, the construction of more whorfs across the island, and a national investment in larger transport vessels capable of carrying cargo. Economic ties make us all stronger.

On a closing note, I urge that the situation in the west be resolved with tact and caution- no man wants bloodshed to result.

I hope that we can all share our lives peacefully without undue dispute, so that greater prosperity may be shared by all.
There is some division within the assembly as to how to dole out seats. Small lots do not want to be left un-represented. The assembly suggests the Senate look into the issue.

The Chancellor's rhetoric is reasonable and well informed, and the Provost does not feel that the relocation of the island's capitol to Breadalbane needs to be a critical issue of concern, as economic inequities are much more relevant to the current condition of the island. After all, the good people of Grenville Parish care about the price of their wheat and barley, not obscure political machinations. It is the Provost's desire to facilitate trade between the people of our parishes, and would prefer the town of Breadalbane to be a prosperous economic trading city rather than an admittedly small (in population), landlocked political capitol.

The Provost wishes to propose that any funding provided by the national coffers be equitably distributed among the parishes. As such, he would support a bridge spanning the Hillsborough River if it were contained in an omnibus transportation package that adequately addresses transportation deficiencies across the entire island. This package should include the Provost's proposal to re-route the railway passing through Hunter River, as the dangerously steep grade on the only link between the island's East and West threatens commerce between the parishes. 

The assembly has voted to examine the possibility of a bridge.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2010, 08:50:02 PM »

Over the weekend I hono(u)r my appointment with the Bishop. I tithe $30 to the church (from my own personal fortune, not from the coffers of Bedford Parish).
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2010, 08:51:07 PM »

Extending rail, single-track to the north side of the Island near Cavendish would cost about 1€ per mile, and need to be 20 miles long. Given the length there may need to be a by-pass section of track built as dual track which would increase the cost.

The cost of a single-track rail bridge across the Hillsborough river could be as high as 5-7€
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2010, 08:54:15 PM »

Has the survey team returned yet from Bedford Bay?

The cost of a single-track rail bridge across the Hillsborough river could be as high as 5-7€

Does that price take into account my requirement that medium-sized cargo ships be able to pass under it?
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2010, 09:29:43 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2010, 09:32:17 PM by His Excellency Chancellor Vazdul, Senator of Bedford Parish »

Many assemblymen from the extremities of the island feel that Hillsborough Bay should be National property.

Many assemblymen from Queens County do not feel the need for any special county convention.

Many assemblymen from west of Summerside are very supportive of proposals to move the Capitol, however, those from east of Summerside are generally opposed.

The assembly has voted to "examine" the costs of a new rail line.

There is some division within the assembly as to how to dole out seats. Small lots do not want to be left un-represented. The assembly suggests the Senate look into the issue.

The assembly has voted to examine the possibility of a bridge.

1. On the question of Hillsborough Bay, I support the status quo. The current division between the parishes of Bedford, Hillsborough, and St. John is adequate.

2. On the question of a county convention, I feel that it would be the most expedient and fairest way to resolve the controversy over Charlotte Parish.

3. On the question of the seat of national government, I oppose any measure that would move the capital to any place other than Charlottetown.

4. Before any decision is made on the issue of a new rail line, I must inform everyone that the Parish of Bedford is planning to begin work on a ferry system for the northern part of the island. A settlement will be built on Bedford Bay, which will be the hub of the ferry service. The plans include service to Morell, Rustico, Cavendish, Princeton, and Alberton. The ships used will allow for passengers and light cargo.

5. On the question of apportionment of Assembly seats, I support increasing the size of the Assembly to ensure every Parish and City is fairly represented. I suggest that the city of Charlottetown be divided into wards for the purposes of Assembly seats, much in the same manner as Parishes are divided into Lots.

6. As stated before, I am generally in support of a bridge over the Hillsborough River, but I require that medium-sized cargo ships be able to pass under it. I will not support any plans for a bridge that do not allow for this requirement.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2010, 10:21:17 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2010, 12:19:53 AM by Sewer »

It is still of the opinion of the Duke of Hillsborough that Hillsborough Bay should belong to Hillsborough.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »

It is clear that the Duke of Hillsborough not only has not refined his opinion on the issue of Hillsborough Bay, but he has also refused the invitation of the spiritual leader of our people, His Grace the Bishop of St. David, revealing himself not only to be an intransigent, but an infidel as well. I pray for his soul.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2010, 11:54:28 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2010, 11:57:55 PM by Bacon King »

I believe that ideally Hillsborough Bay should be nationally shared territory, but the status quo is entirely acceptable as long as the right of passage is not infringed. It is clearly apparent that the Duke of Hillsborough is entirely out of line on this issue. I am also, frankly, appalled at his apparent rejection of the honorable Bishop's mediation. If the Duke does not change course rapidly, I feel that Hillsborough's lack of sane leadership must be rectified in any way possible, lest innocent lives be lost to his aggressive actions.

Also, on an unrelated note, I feel that my call for a County-wide convention was a result of my (then) lack of information regarding Charlotte Parish's status. I believe there is no need for any such convention.

A few proposals:

1. To prevent ambiguity in our economy, that the currency exchange be specifically defined by the national government, at a rate of $100 to £1, £33 to €1, and $3300 to €1.

2. To foster trade amongst the parishes, that the national government shall comprehensively assist communities across the island to build new docks, to improve rail infrastructure and access where needed, to expand ferry services, to construct a small fleet of cargo vessels, and to bridge rivers where needed. Specifics of this "omnibus trade improvement" may be determined after the acceptance of its general need.

3. To ensure a proper business climate for our merchants, that a national bank be established in the capital city, and with branches in Princeton and Georgetown or nearby areas.

Lastly, an issue for the Senate alone, since the Assembly forwarded it to us:

4. I propose that all parishes receive equal representation in the assembly, and that they shall each have one representative per 250 citizens, rounded. Distribution of representatives among a parish's lots shall be the responsibility of the parish government (with the expectation that it is done in an unbiased manner).
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2010, 12:07:55 AM »

The Duke of Hillsborough is appalled by Mayor Bacon's threats and begins to start a militia to defend himself.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2010, 12:11:06 AM »

Also, I'd like to announce my fine city is building two cargo vessels. We're also ordering two specialized stagecoaches for a city fire department.

Also, my town government is prepared to spend €2.5 or its exchange equivalent towards the construction of a bridge into Lot 48. We would expect funding from Bedford Parish as well as the national government, of course.

We're also spending a bit on improving city streets, adding park space, maybe a few statues; basically, general measures to improve the city's prestige.

Last, we've streamlined procedures required to start/run/own a business or commercial property within the city. I assume plenty of undeveloped land still exists; allow some of it to be sold to prospective buyers.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2010, 12:12:27 AM »

The Duke of Hillsborough is appalled by Mayor Bacon's threats and begins to start a militia to defend himself.

I seek no conflict with you.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2010, 12:46:06 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2010, 01:02:21 AM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

By the order of the Right Honourable Director of Halifax, this State of Emergency is hereby ended.

I wish to make a formal declaration of open development of a "main street highway" so to say within Halifax Parish, beginning in Cape Wolfe in Lot 7, connecting Dublane, Hebron, Coleman, and ending in Foxley River.

I would like to create an exploratory committee as to the idea of the wharf.  This committee will determine it's feasibility, impact on the Halifax economy, and the surrounding enviornment, both short term and long term.

I would also like to announce the creation of a Habour in Egmont Bay, at the mouth of the Percival River.  Construction is to begin immediately on Harbour facilities and components for one patrol boat and two cargo ships are currently being produced in Ellersie and Dublane.

x The Director
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2010, 12:50:54 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2010, 12:54:33 AM by His Excellency Chancellor Vazdul, Senator of Bedford Parish »

The recent actions of the Duke of Hillsborough reflect a hostile intent. To that end, in my official capacity as Chancellor of Bedford, I decree the following:

1. Fishermen and other sailing vessels under the jurisdiction of Bedford Parish are instructed to keep out of the territorial waters of Hillsborough Parish.

2. The militia of the Parish of Bedford is to be reallocated in the following manner:

6 Naval Troops on 3 boats, stationed in Rosebank.
10 Cavalry (horsemen), stationed in Tracadie.
14 Infantry, stationed in Rosebank.
5 Infantry, stationed in Mount Stewart
This allocation is to remain in effect until further notice.

3. The militia will undergo a recruitment drive in Rosebank, Mount Stewart, and Tracadie. Any recruits in Mount Stewart in excess of five will be billeted to Rosebank. Any recruits in Tracadie will be made Cavalrymen. I stress that volunteers only will be recruited. This is not a draft.

Be advised that any attempt by the armed forces of Hillsborough to enter Bedford or Charlottetown will be viewed as a hostile action, and the militia of Bedford is prepared to defend both itself and its neighbours for the cause of righteousness.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2010, 12:53:03 AM »

As I have observed the conflict between the Chancellor and the Duke, I cannot bear to witness my kinsmen rip each other apart.  We must stand together as one nation.

I hereby request a conference between the two within neutral ground (preferably the city of Cape Wolfe) and I offer my services as mediator.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2010, 01:02:57 AM »

As I have observed the conflict between the Chancellor and the Duke, I cannot bear to witness my kinsmen rip each other apart.  We must stand together as one nation.

I hereby request a conference between the two within neutral ground (preferably the city of Cape Wolfe) and I offer my services as mediator.

I am willing to attempt mediation. I point out that I have already attempted mediation once before, and the Duke refused to attend. As there are several pressing matters to attend to in Rosebank, I will not commit to attend unless the Duke does likewise. And I reject the backwater village of Cape Wolfe as a suitable location for the negotiations.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies