None of the Above option
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:11:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  None of the Above option
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you favor a non of teh above ballot option?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: None of the Above option  (Read 2936 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2004, 11:16:22 AM »

It works this way:
The ballot shows the following choices:
Candidate A [ ]
Candidate B[ ]
None of the Above -- New Election [ ]

If the none of the above option were to win, then a new election would be held, with the candidates running for the current one not being able to run in the next.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 12:06:43 PM »

yeah, i think that would be a good option to have, though I doubt it'd hardly ever be used
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 12:14:13 PM »

Yeah, it's a good idea.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 12:44:56 PM »

Ever see Brewster's Millions?

Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 01:15:08 PM »

Yup. Missed the outcome of the election tough(nature's call). Did none of the above won?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 01:58:09 PM »

Yup. Missed the outcome of the election tough(nature's call). Did none of the above won?

You want me to spoil the movie for people who did not see it? 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »

damned straight

If you loved the six-week election night in 2000, you'll really love the infinitely long repeat after repeat, ad infinitum, which would surely be the result of Binding None of the Above.  I'm all for it. 

A Libertarian/Anarchist's wet dream.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 02:14:04 PM »

damned straight

If you loved the six-week election night in 2000, you'll really love the infinitely long repeat after repeat, ad infinitum, which would surely be the result of Binding None of the Above.  I'm all for it. 

A Libertarian/Anarchist's wet dream.

Do you really thing NOTA would win in presidentials?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 02:17:45 PM »

one can dream  Wink

actually, the IRV Nader was pushing would be a better idea, IMHO, as it serves a similar purpose but isn't as likely to create a crises such as the one that a well-organized, well-funded, and sustained NOTA campaign could create.
Cashcow

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 08:15:19 PM »

This option was on the Nevada ballot. It recieved 3,662 votes, or 0.44%.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 08:48:35 PM »

I think every state should have something like that in Nevada though, just so you can abstain and at least let your abstaintion be counted to send the message. In Oklahoma for example, the only two candidates on the ballot were Bush and Kerry, and write-ins aren't allowed. You can just not check the box, but this way at least it's more visible.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004, 11:53:19 PM »

I'd like a "None of these candidates" option. I'd vote for it at least once in my life.
GoldenSt8r
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 03:07:58 AM »

I would favor a 'none of the above', because during the Florida recount I learned that a ballot which does not have a vote for every office is considered a 'spoiled ballot'.  That's wrong and in many cases that is a misinterpretation of the voter's intent.  They didn't forget to vote.  They chose not to vote for a particular office.  I hate it when strangers assume  they know what my intent was.

To make it easier on the guy with the magnifying glass, I considered writing a little note on my ballot, telling him that any blank votes were quite intentional, but that might cause the ballot counting machine to burp.   So, ever since Florida I have made sure to vote for every office, judge, and proposition, whether I want to or not.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 02:40:47 AM »

Hmmm... Does NOTA need a majority or just a plurality?

How about a really interesting modification? If NOTA wins, then ONLY the candidate who was the top vote-getter gets bumped off. Imagine what that would do to the sciences of polling and campaigning.

A plurality. I don't really understand the logic behind your idea...
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 10:23:36 AM »

Hmmm... Does NOTA need a majority or just a plurality?

How about a really interesting modification? If NOTA wins, then ONLY the candidate who was the top vote-getter gets bumped off. Imagine what that would do to the sciences of polling and campaigning.

A plurality. I don't really understand the logic behind your idea...

No logic behind my idea other than that it would make for some interesting campaigning.
DaleC76
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 10:33:11 AM »

I wouldn't mind an option like that to record protest votes, but I wouldn't want that ballot option to actually have an effect on the election.  If NOTA gets 90% of the vote, the guy that gets a majority of the remaining votes should still win the office.  All of these people voting NOTA should get involved in the primaries to get better candidates.

Something else:

I wouldn't mind seeing demographic information on ballots for people to fill in as they vote (if they wish).  Things like age group, party affiliation, race, gender, ect.  Just to improve on exit polls.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 10:52:39 AM »

I would favor a 'none of the above', because during the Florida recount I learned that a ballot which does not have a vote for every office is considered a 'spoiled ballot'.  That's wrong and in many cases that is a misinterpretation of the voter's intent.  They didn't forget to vote.  They chose not to vote for a particular office.  I hate it when strangers assume  they know what my intent was.

To make it easier on the guy with the magnifying glass, I considered writing a little note on my ballot, telling him that any blank votes were quite intentional, but that might cause the ballot counting machine to burp.   So, ever since Florida I have made sure to vote for every office, judge, and proposition, whether I want to or not.

They now count those ballots in Florida. I know, I asked before I voted because I never vote for any of the judges.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies