Which posters are RIABNs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:15:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which posters are RIABNs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Which posters are RIABNs?  (Read 9956 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2010, 10:55:32 PM »

Why not register independent so you could vote in either primary? Huh

MAGOP is decent, although of course I strongly prefer the (cosmo-)libertarian Weld/Baker wing over the moderate-to-liberal Romney/Brown wing.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2010, 11:01:58 PM »

MAGOP is decent, although of course I strongly prefer the (cosmo-)libertarian Weld/Baker wing over the moderate-to-liberal Romney/Brown wing.

I'm involved in my town's local politics, (well, somewhat) and signed up with my town's local affiliate of the GOP. I have to be a registered Republican to vote on committee decisions - which makes me much more influential than voting in a Democratic primary - not to mention that it's a matter of principle that I don't vote for a primary candidate unless I would vote them in the general...

...and I sure as hell don't plan on voting for any Democrats in the future. Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2010, 11:03:14 PM »

I wouldn't consider myself a RIABN. I differ from them on a lot of issues.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »

Wut...
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2010, 11:09:39 PM »

what is this i don't even
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »

Many "independents" like sbane are really Democratic hacks. He's most certainly a DIABN.

Verily, as well.

Ah, yes, he's also a Democrat. And how could I forget our premier RINOs/DIABN AHDuke and fezzy? Tongue

Hi. :-(

What?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2010, 11:15:48 PM »

Wut...

Weld is very libertarian (such that the LP declined to run against him both times he ran for MA-Gov, and they gave him their ballot line during his brief run for NY-Gov).  He wants to legalize drugs, have full equality for gays, and significantly roll back taxation and the welfare state.  Baker comes from Weld's administration (his first job was in a libertarian think tank) and shares most of Weld's views.  Neither of them are going to be featured on the front of LRC, but they represent a wing of the MAGOP that's much more libertarian than the national party.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »

Wut...

Weld is very libertarian (such that the LP declined to run against him both times he ran for MA-Gov, and they gave him their ballot line during his brief run for NY-Gov).  He wants to legalize drugs, have full equality for gays, and significantly roll back taxation and the welfare state.  Baker comes from Weld's administration (his first job was in a libertarian think tank) and shares most of Weld's views.  Neither of them are going to be featured on the front of LRC, but they represent a wing of the MAGOP that's much more libertarian than the national party.

Wasn't Baker the founder of a libertarian think-tank too?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2010, 11:45:03 PM »

Wut...

Weld is very libertarian (such that the LP declined to run against him both times he ran for MA-Gov, and they gave him their ballot line during his brief run for NY-Gov).  He wants to legalize drugs, have full equality for gays, and significantly roll back taxation and the welfare state.  Baker comes from Weld's administration (his first job was in a libertarian think tank) and shares most of Weld's views.  Neither of them are going to be featured on the front of LRC, but they represent a wing of the MAGOP that's much more libertarian than the national party.

The LP nominated Bob Barr and Wayne Root. They have no problem supporting very non-libertarian Republicans.

Neocons like William Buckley were also against the war on drugs. These people only care about the money, they don't give a damn about liberty. 

Weld and especially Baker are just boring Moderate Hero Rockefeller Republicans. Ideologically they're closer to Bill Clinton than to Ron Paul. Not to mention Baker has a record of wasteful spending as budget chief for the Big Dig disaster.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2010, 11:58:39 PM »

That and Baker was one of the 'masterminds' behind Romneycare..
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2010, 12:01:58 AM »

I'll stick with parties that have parliamentary representation:

USA: GOP
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2010, 12:22:12 AM »

I'll stick with parties that have parliamentary representation:

USA: GOP

Roll Eyes

I answered that silly game thread by sticking to parties that had parliamentary representation, so I wouldn't have to track down obscure/nonexistent libertarian parties in foreign countries and then be laughed at.  As you can see, I am not a Republican.

The LP nominated Bob Barr and Wayne Root. They have no problem supporting very non-libertarian Republicans.

'Twas the ever so wonderful '90s LP of Harry Browne fame.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Weld and Baker are both independently wealthy, so you can color me skeptical about the "just in it for the money" claim.

Uhh . . . no.

That's ridiculous.  Baker was in charge of the bond issuance for the project.  He had nothing to do with its management and no say over whether or not it should have been done (in fact he wrote memos about how he thought it was too expensive).

That and Baker was one of the 'masterminds' behind Romneycare..

Makes one wonder why he wants it repealed.  Unless he actually was CEO of Harvard-Pilgrim Healthcare at the time and not involved in state government in any way, which makes your claim as absurd as it is silly.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2010, 12:28:08 AM »

The LP is still the LP, prone to selling out it's values for a chance at a little extra publicity.

C'mon now, that's not what I meant.

Err....yes. Charlie Baker could easily pass for a DLC Democrat like Bill Clinton. But nobody in their right mind would ever confuse him for a libertarian like Ron Paul.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2010, 12:32:05 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2010, 12:40:02 AM by BEWARE OF WARREN REDLICH! »

The LP is still the LP, prone to selling out it's values for a chance at a little extra publicity.

Publicity by not running a candidate? Huh

C'mon now, that's not what I meant.[/quote]

What did you mean?

Err....yes. Charlie Baker could easily pass for a DLC Democrat like Bill Clinton. But nobody in their right mind would ever confuse him for a libertarian like Ron Paul.
[/quote]

Prove it.  (Charlie Baker isn't perfect, especially on drugs, but Bill Weld is excellent).
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2010, 12:51:18 AM »

Yeah.

I meant that they, like Tom Tancredo, only supported marijuana legalization because of the financial burden of maintaining the war on drugs and the potential tax income to be made on it. They have no philosophical inclination toward liberty. They are technocrats, not libertarians.

And Baker doesn't even share the opposition to the drug war AFAIK. 

[/quote][/quote]

Prove it? How are they different, other than that one is a Democrat and one is a Republican? They're both moderate hero centrists who love abortion and claim to be big on balanced budgets.

Here's classic Murray Rothbard trashing phony big government "libertarian" Bill Weld after the LP embarrassingly endorsed him:

BIG-GOVERNMENT LIBERTARIANS

LRC in general is good for taking down phony media-anointed "libertarians" that give real libertarians a bad name.

What Libertarianism Isn't

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2010, 01:00:26 AM »

Weld never once raised taxes, so Rothbard doesn't have his facts straight.  He also faced Democratic veto-proof supermajorities in both houses, so he didn't exactly have much leverage on spending.  I'm really uninterested in the philosophical outlook of a candidate, I'm concerned with their positions on the issues.  I find it interesting how two people like, say, Justin Raimondo and Pat Buchanan can arrive at mainly the same conclusions despite having very different worldviews.  But while I find it interesting, I don't find it relevant, especially when it's based on speculation with no backup.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2010, 01:23:13 AM »

Weld never once raised taxes, so Rothbard doesn't have his facts straight.  He also faced Democratic veto-proof supermajorities in both houses, so he didn't exactly have much leverage on spending.  I'm really uninterested in the philosophical outlook of a candidate, I'm concerned with their positions on the issues.  I find it interesting how two people like, say, Justin Raimondo and Pat Buchanan can arrive at mainly the same conclusions despite having very different worldviews.  But while I find it interesting, I don't find it relevant, especially when it's based on speculation with no backup.

Bill Weld was a big spending Rockefeller Republican who happened to support medical marijuana. He was not a libertarian, but as governor he even destroyed his own Republican Party. It's embarrassing when the mainstream media holds up people like him as "libertarians".

Bill Weld's Revolution that Wasn't

Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2010, 02:19:22 AM »

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2010, 04:14:05 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2010, 04:17:18 AM by sbane »

Sbane is definitely one of the biggest DIABNs here.

I just don't like the Republican party. Don't see how that makes me a Democrat.

Also I am literally registered as a decline to state voter, also known as an Independent in California.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2010, 04:20:31 AM »

Many "independents" like sbane are really Democratic hacks. He's most certainly a DIABN.

Hey, I know Sbane. He is a friend of mine. He is not a hack about anything. He is a very intelligent, insightful and informed young man, with moderate instincts, except when it is right not to be moderate, such as with respect to matters regarding one of our favorite "medicines."  Smiley  He's also very affable to boot.

I meant the above seriously actually. I admire Sbane.

Thanks. Smiley
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2010, 08:18:03 AM »

Roll Eyes

(no, I'm sure you're very much an anti-Republican hack, but that pretty much means you're also a Democrat)

px75 is very much a DIABN too.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2010, 10:45:31 PM »

Vepres probably is. His support for Buck confuzzled and disappointed me. Wormyguy used to be, but he's stepped up his anti-GOP rhetoric after Tuesday's festivities.

No, it really doesn't.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2010, 10:52:36 PM »

FYI, since last weeks I ceased to consider myself a Democrat for Atlas purposes.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »

Roll Eyes

(no, I'm sure you're very much an anti-Republican hack, but that pretty much means you're also a Democrat)

I don't consider myself to be democrat, thus I am not one, correct?

I voted for Tom Campbell in the primary and I certainly would have considered voting for him in the general. The national Republican party really scares me though, so maybe not. Definitely would have raised the level of discourse in the senate if he had been elected and Boxer defeated. I would have most likely voted for Campbell for the governor's race, if he had stuck with it and won the primary. The problem is that the Republicans never nominate a candidate I can vote for. And many of their candidates in other parts of the country really piss me off. If that makes me a Democrat, then so be it.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2010, 06:58:39 PM »

Why wouldn't you vote for Meg Whitman?  She's quite moderate, and certainly a very qualified and intelligent individual.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies