Which posters are RIABNs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:09:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which posters are RIABNs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Which posters are RIABNs?  (Read 9985 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »

I just don't think she would have been a good governor. She would have been a clueless outsider like Schwarzenegger. Tom Campbell could have actually dealt with the legislature imo. Brown can do that too. Or he can sell out to the unions, not cut spending and try to get voters to raise taxes. That is not going to end well.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2010, 08:17:04 PM »

I just don't think she would have been a good governor. She would have been a clueless outsider like Schwarzenegger. Tom Campbell could have actually dealt with the legislature imo. Brown can do that too. Or he can sell out to the unions, not cut spending and try to get voters to raise taxes. That is not going to end well.

I'll bet you any amount of money you want that is exactly what he'll do.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »

I'll bet you any amount of money you want that is exactly what he'll do.

You're probably right. And now that you can pass a budget with a majority vote, the blame will fall squarely on them. California already has some of the highest taxes in the nation. Except for maybe repealing Prop 13 for businesses, I don't see any new taxes the legislature can convince voters to implement (and even prop 13 is basically untouchable). Spending needs to be cut, there is no other option.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2010, 08:42:14 PM »

As it's amusing for Mechaman to watch Liberals and Cosnervatives argue, it's amusing for me to watch two Libertarians duke it out to say what's Libertarian and what isn't.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2010, 09:08:52 PM »

Why wouldn't you vote for Meg Whitman?  She's quite moderate, and certainly a very qualified and intelligent individual.

fail
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2010, 10:56:15 PM »

Vepres probably is. His support for Buck confuzzled and disappointed me.

It was more anti-Bennet near the end there.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2010, 11:58:07 PM »

Why wouldn't you vote for Meg Whitman?  She's quite moderate, and certainly a very qualified and intelligent individual.

Because she's a terrible person and would make a terrible governor, perhaps?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2010, 12:06:36 AM »

Why wouldn't you vote for Meg Whitman?  She's quite moderate, and certainly a very qualified and intelligent individual.

500,000 new H-1Bs per year, and eliminating the capital gains tax is moderate? I'd hate to know what an extremist is like.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2010, 12:21:45 AM »

As it's amusing for Mechaman to watch Liberals and Cosnervatives argue, it's amusing for me to watch two Libertarians duke it out to say what's Libertarian and what isn't.

Who's duking it out with regard to "what's Libertarian and what isn't?" That's not what's going on.

It's just a bit baffling to consider some of the candidates wormyguy is supporting as a libertarian.

I certainly can't see any reason to have voted for Meg Whitman.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2010, 01:33:18 AM »

Who's duking it out with regard to "what's Libertarian and what isn't?" That's not what's going on.

It's just a bit baffling to consider some of the candidates wormyguy is supporting as a libertarian.

See, he's a Republican, and Meg Whitman was the Republican candidate. I can certainly see the reason.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2010, 09:13:17 AM »

Jerry Brown will be a better governor than Whitman could ever have hoped to be....totally disregarding political views, IMO
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2010, 09:33:37 AM »

Jerry Brown will be a better governor than Whitman could ever have hoped to be....totally disregarding political views, IMO

It will be interesting to see if Brown becomes to public employees what Clinton was to welfare reform. I don't think anyone will be tempted to mess with Prop 13 while real estate is in the tank.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »

FYI I wouldn't have voted for Meg Whitman.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2010, 03:24:02 PM »

See, he's a Republican, and Meg Whitman was the Republican candidate. I can certainly see the reason.

I'm not arguing for or against voting for Whitman (though I most likely would have voted for her), I'm saying that it's amusing just to sit back and watch two Libertarians (I'm assuming Libertas is basically Libertarian) fight over what's Libertarians and what's not, specifically because it has no beargin on the rest of the world unless you're a Libertarian.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »

I don't consider myself to be democrat, thus I am not one, correct?

I voted for Tom Campbell in the primary and I certainly would have considered voting for him in the general. The national Republican party really scares me though, so maybe not. Definitely would have raised the level of discourse in the senate if he had been elected and Boxer defeated. I would have most likely voted for Campbell for the governor's race, if he had stuck with it and won the primary. The problem is that the Republicans never nominate a candidate I can vote for. And many of their candidates in other parts of the country really piss me off. If that makes me a Democrat, then so be it.

Yes, it does. There's a reason why you're criticizing only the Republican party. That's why I'm not buying into your being an "independent". You may not be a Democrat on paper, but you have too much in common with them, so I can't really consider you an independent.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2010, 12:16:29 PM »

I don't consider myself to be democrat, thus I am not one, correct?

I voted for Tom Campbell in the primary and I certainly would have considered voting for him in the general. The national Republican party really scares me though, so maybe not. Definitely would have raised the level of discourse in the senate if he had been elected and Boxer defeated. I would have most likely voted for Campbell for the governor's race, if he had stuck with it and won the primary. The problem is that the Republicans never nominate a candidate I can vote for. And many of their candidates in other parts of the country really piss me off. If that makes me a Democrat, then so be it.

Yes, it does. There's a reason why you're criticizing only the Republican party. That's why I'm not buying into your being an "independent". You may not be a Democrat on paper, but you have too much in common with them, so I can't really consider you an independent.

The Republican party annoys me/ has way more disgusting personalities within it than the Democratic party. Doesn't mean that everything the Democratic party does is golden.

I am an independent because I don't wish to identify with either political party. Though I realize the two party system traps you with two false choices. I vote for who I think is the best candidate who also has a chance of winning. And if I view the Democrats as the lesser of two evils in most cases, so what? It is quite possible that in the future the Democrats will go hard left on economic issues, like trying to create universal daycare or something. And if Republicans at that time are more moderate, for example realizing that healthcare is a right but it can be delivered more efficiently, I can certainly entertain voting for them. I actually did vote for a moderate Republican this year, but it was for state legislature. I doubt he could win a Republican primary in California, especially due to the crazies in the central valley and OC. Or at least he would have to go hard right. And therein lies the issue.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »

I'm not arguing for or against voting for Whitman (though I most likely would have voted for her), I'm saying that it's amusing just to sit back and watch two Libertarians (I'm assuming Libertas is basically Libertarian) fight over what's Libertarians and what's not, specifically because it has no beargin on the rest of the world unless you're a Libertarian.

Yeah those kind of debates have been bothering me for the past few months.  Which is why I have stopped interjecting myself into so-called "purist" debates.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »

Yeah those kind of debates have been bothering me for the past few months.  Which is why I have stopped interjecting myself into so-called "purist" debates.

So, why are you still on this forum?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2010, 07:27:34 PM »

So, why are you still on this forum?

Search: Alternate History and What If?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies