The Office of Fmr Speaker Polnut
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:55:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Fmr Speaker Polnut
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Office of Fmr Speaker Polnut  (Read 5545 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »
« edited: February 23, 2011, 06:12:20 PM by Fmr Gov& NE Speaker. Polnut »

Well, this is the first time I've been elected to office in nearly 4 years, and it feels a little odd.

I returned to Atlasia earlier in the year, and I decided that I would turn myself to whatever task was required of me.

I deeply appreciate the faith shown in me by my fellow Northeasterners to serve in the Assembly and help drive a positive agenda forward for the region.

I also would like to thank President-elect Fritz for his nomination to have me succeed him in the position of Registrar General. It is a vital role to ensure the legitimacy of our democracy and I look forward to being able to serve this administration.

So, consider my door always open, to hear your suggestions, complaints, or concerns.

Thanks everyone.

Polnut.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:24 PM »

Can you hold both positions at the same time?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »

He cannot. I wish he would be joining the Northeast Assembly, but I assume he's going to take the RG instead.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:55:08 PM »

I am aware that I cannot serve in both roles, and I will be making a determination shortly.

I took the oath of office for the NE Assembly to ensure that there is a fully functioning government in the NE.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »

I am aware that I cannot serve in both roles, and I will be making a determination shortly.

I took the oath of office for the NE Assembly to ensure that there is a fully functioning government in the NE.

Much appreciated, even if it is only for a short stint.

(It was nothing against you, I just remembered being vigorously opposed to dual office holding at the ConCon.)
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:01:15 PM »

Much appreciated, even if it is only for a short stint.

(It was nothing against you, I just remembered being vigorously opposed to dual office holding at the ConCon.)

I didn't take it as anything against me, just thought it was assumed knowledge that I couldn't serve in both and would have to make a call... Smiley
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 02:58:11 AM »

STATEMENT

Ladies and gentlemen of Atlasia,

I was honoured to have the dual blessing of being elected by my fellow Northeasterners somewhat unexpectedly to our regional assembly, and also to have been nominated by the President-elect to serve in the Cabinet as Registrar-General.

Being aware of the prohibition on serving in two offices, I knew I had to make a difficult decision.

I'm using this statement to explain my decision, and also to address some others both about myself and about the future of Atlasia.

Firstly, after much consideration, I wish to announce that I have contacted the President-elect to request that he withdraw my nomination for the office of Registrar-General. I thank him for nominating me.

Therefore, I have decided to serve in the NE Assembly, as my region is in dire need of good and effective government. I feel my skills and experience would be put to much better use in the legislative arena.

This is an important time, as we need to address the stagnation in the NE, and I pledge to work with all my fellow Representatives, as well as the Governor and Lt. Governor to progress effective legislation.

Those of you who were not around for my first time around the park 4 years ago will soon learn that I am firm in my convictions, and while I am a proud social liberal, I believe in prudent economic management.

I had been in Atlasia a month before stepping up to serve as Governor of the Mideast from October 2006 to May 2007, I made some mistakes, for which I certainly suffered the electoral consequences. However, I have learned an enormous amount since the October 2007 Presidential election, and want to bring that to the fore.

I also want to briefly address the issues about term-limits in the JCP.

I completely respect the decision of my fellow members of the JCP to not support the idea of term limits right now. However, I wanted to make clear my reasons for this. Those who were around during my Presidential run know that my goal in any office is to offer a challenge to our fellow citizens to engage as much as possible in the process.

I wanted the JCP to have a mechanism that ensured a constant flow of fresh ideas and new leadership. Bgwah has done a great job in leading the broad church that is the JCP, and this view is not, and I repeat not, anything personal against any member of the present party leadership. However, if the party cannot survive without a single person in a single role, whoever, and whatever it may be, then it shouldn't.

But that is for the future.

Now is about committing ourselves to re-invigorating the region to work again as well as it has in the past, and even better.

Thank you very much.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 05:47:00 AM »

I wish you the best in th Northeast Assembly.   Smiley
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 09:08:21 PM »

I'm glad to call you my fellow Representative. Smiley
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 09:11:22 PM »

We do now have the problem of AndrewCT - I doubt he'll resign his senate seat to become NE Rep, plus a few others still haven't taken their oaths . . .
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »

We do now have the problem of AndrewCT - I doubt he'll resign his senate seat to become NE Rep, plus a few others still haven't taken their oaths . . .

Also, a new "Northeast Proposed Legislation Thread" needs to be created - by the Lieutenant Governor.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 02:15:39 PM »

First, let me say although I think you would have done a terrifc job as RG, I am really happy to see you joining the Assembly. I believe that your knowledge and history will be a terrific asset to the Assembly, and the region.

And to respond to this, I didnt accept the write-in for me, I do thank those who did support me. I plan on serving out the rest of my term, and than leaving Atlasia.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 03:00:17 PM »

First, let me say although I think you would have done a terrifc job as RG, I am really happy to see you joining the Assembly. I believe that your knowledge and history will be a terrific asset to the Assembly, and the region.

And to respond to this, I didnt accept the write-in for me, I do thank those who did support me. I plan on serving out the rest of my term, and than leaving Atlasia.

Great, another one...
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 04:30:30 PM »

Great, another one...

Ehhh, it was bound to happen sooner or later.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 05:00:12 PM »

Great, another one...

Ehhh, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Maybe you should consider happening this even later?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 09:07:55 PM »

Welcome to my renovated offices.

Anything my constituents need, I'm available, just let me know.

LEGISLATIVE ACTIVITY

Hepatitis B Prevention Bill https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=127652.msg2718481#msg2718481
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 10:36:34 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2010, 06:46:47 PM by Fmr Gov, NE Rep. Polnut »

TOWN HALL MEETINGS - CAMPAIGN STOPS

- As many of you are unable to meet me in the usual settings in New York City or Boston I will be undertaking a series of town hall meetings across the region. Current schedule is as follows.

November 17 - Pittsburgh, PA

November 20 - Philadelphia, PA

November 29 - Wilmington, DE

December 4 - Trenton, NJ

December 5 - Princeton, NJ

December 7 - New York City, NY

December 8 - Syracuse, NY

December 10 - Burlington VT

December 12 - Harrisburg, PA

December 13 - New Haven, CT

December 14 - Providence, RI

December 15 - Hartford, CT

December 16 - Barnstable, MA

December 17 - Concord, NH

December 17 - Bangor, ME

December 19 - Boston, MA

Some additional dates added

December 23 - Albany, NY

December 27 - Providence, RI

December 29 - Philadelphia, PA

January 5 - Boston, MA

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 10:41:11 PM »

Polnut I consider you to have been my political mentor here in Atlasia and I am happy to see you have returned to pick up where you left off.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 12:46:40 AM »

I really appreciate that Smiley
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 01:30:25 AM »

Rep. Polnut's speech to the Health Advocates Board Dinner

The Westin Hotel, Providence RI
Friday - 12 November 2010

TRANSCRIPT

Thank you ladies and gentlemen for the opportunity to speak with you tonight.

This is my first chance to speak to with people in the region since I took office, albeit unexpectedly, as a Representative in our Assembly.

Throughout my time in public life I have tried my best to discuss matters of importance in the health arena.

While Governor of the Mideast I put in the place the most thorough mental health program in the country. This involved building additions to existing health facilities, building new facilities, as well as a major public education campaign.

This is one area where enough is not done. The stigma of mental illness, sadly, remains as strong in many minds as it has for generations, back to the time when these disorders and diseases were considered demonic possession or helpless madness. But today, there are so many treatment avenues available that go unused.

During my presidential run in 2007, I advocated using the Mideast mental health program, as the basis for a national program. While that opportunity is no longer there, my commitment to a national mental health program remains as solid as it did three years ago, and I urge new national administration to strongly consider this.

I strongly consider health to be an issue of prevention being better cure, yet we run a system of health that deals with problems that occur, when they occur, with the greatest cost, yet, there's no real focus on prevention. Prevention costs less overall, and can lead to fewer life-style related diseases and reduce the burden of healthcare expenses.

The next element of prevention includes vaccination programs.

I have put forward a bill that will provide, at minimum cost for parents, a full-course of hepatitis B vaccinations for students in our region. Hep B is a terrible disease, that can lead to liver-failure and even liver cancer. It is in epi and pandemic proportions in different sections of the world, and Atlasia is not, no pun intended, immune.

This is the first, I will also be working to ensure young women have the opportunity to be given the cervical cancer vaccine.

I consider those steps to be one of our most important one to create a healthier society, with all of the proven social and economic benefits that that brings.

Thank you again for this opportunity, and I look forward to seeing this organisation that works so hard for a healthier region and country.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 11:32:02 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The Regional Capitol
New York City

My decision to vote in favour of impeaching the Lt Govenor was not an easy one, for many reasons.

I personally like Fezzy a great deal, and I hoped that he would respond to the serious concerns of the Assembly.

I acknowledge the seriousness of the step of removing an elected official from office. However, this Assembly has been endowed with the ability and authority to take this step, but only, in serious cases. I consider this to be a serious case.

I was ready with an open mind to hear what the Lt Governor had to say in defense of those allegations of a dereliction of duty.

We have now reached this point, while I was not happy to cast this difficult vote, I do consider it the correct thing to have done.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 12:27:03 AM »

TRANSCRIPT

The Regional Capitol
New York City

- Door stop interview with Rep. Polnut, Worcester, MA
Sunday - 21 November 2010

R - Are you angered by the rejection of your Hep B Bill by the Assembly?

JP - Well, you need to be pragmatic about such things. I thought, and still think the program is a good idea. Angered? No. Disappointed? Sure.

R - You are quoted by a source to have been deeply concerned for the progress the Assembly can make given the party make-up.

JP - Is that a question? *laughs* Obviously, I didn't enter into the Assembly with my eyes closed. I knew that my policy agenda would have a difficult time getting up in that environment. I pledged to work with all of my colleagues regardless of political stripes to enact good and effective government in the region.

I don't believe the Assembly should be an ideological battle ground, while I hold to my beliefs, I'm always willing to hear a good argument.

I don't believe the role of the state is to be reactive, and do things only where the proverbial has already hit the fan.

R - What will you be trying to work on between now and the next election?

JP - Filling up the gaps in healthcare, which do exist, considering greater public transport infrastructure planning in relation to residential development and a few other things.

R - Given you won your seat as a write-in, do you intend to stand at the next election?

JP - I certainly do, and to win.

JP - OK... thanks guys.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 05:05:17 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

The Regional Capital
New York City

Rep. Polnut (JCP - MA)
Friday - 26 November 2010

I wanted to very briefly address some concerns that have been sent to my office in relation to the current discussion of Rep. Womguy's Bill.

With the current Party/ideological representation in the Assembly, I am realistic about my chances of getting progressive legislation supported, that doesn't mean that I won't keep trying. However, I believe that there is a desire by some to get something effective and productive done for the people of the Northeast.

Therefore I have pledged myself to work with my colleagues of all stripes to get things done. I will never support legislation that I believe will hurt our constituents, the region and our place in the Atlasian federation. But I will have an open-mind to suggestions that will better the situation, and hope my pledge to negotiate where there is common ground will be clear among my colleagues also.

JP.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 12:33:41 AM »

TRANSCRIPT

The Regional Capitol
New York City

Rep. Polnut (JCP - MA)

- Door stop comment - Regional Capitol Entrance
Friday - 26 November 2010

R: What are you going to do about Representative Wormguy's Nullification resolution before the Assembly? You two appear to be at loggerheads?

JP: Look, I have said time and again that I am willing to work with Rep. Wormy. The alternatives I've put forward, I believe address the ability of the Assembly to handle federal laws whose constitutionality is being challenged, and also places ultimate authority for the deployment of regional military forces with the Governor and the Assembly.

I want to make this very clear to all Northeastern citizens. I consider a clear separation of powers to be absolutely vital to the functioning of good government, and I will never support any measure that seeks to fundamentally undermine any of those branches, including the role of an independent judiciary to determine the constitutionality of laws.

Just because similar measures have been enacted elsewhere doesn't mean that it's an appropriate use of legislative authority. There are already measures to protect regions from oppressive and unconstitutional behavior, undermining a foundation of modern liberal democracies is not one of them.

Thanks guys, gotta go.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The Office of Northeast Representative Polnut (UDL - MA)
Boston, Massachusetts

Tuesday - 30 November 2010

You will now be aware that I have decided, after lengthy consideration, to join the new Union of the Democratic Left.

I have had concerns about the direction of the JCP, and what the party genuinely stands for.

I hope this new party, while a broad church, will be able to unite the progressive movement, and most importantly, actually do something productive and effective for all Atlasians.

We must be careful however to not allow ourselves to be ruled by ideology or dogma, our aspirations must always be measured against pragmatism.

I look forward to a bright future for this new party, for the Atlasian progressive movement, and for the whole country.

JP.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies