Obama's Entourage: 40 Planes to India, 45 Cars, 900 Hotel Rooms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:12:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama's Entourage: 40 Planes to India, 45 Cars, 900 Hotel Rooms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama's Entourage: 40 Planes to India, 45 Cars, 900 Hotel Rooms  (Read 10965 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2010, 03:59:57 PM »

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/117956/LATEST%20HEADLINES/taj-trip-included-in-barack-obamas-itinerary.html

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/Barack-and-Michelles-Mumbai-darshan-plans/articleshow/6797379.cms

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Glad the taxpayers can pick up the tab for this massive, incredibly expensive, environment-destroying imperialist junket to India.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »

Well, if you go to India, you gotta roll like a Maharaja. (But seriously aren't most of the expenses due to security concerns?)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 04:53:33 PM »

These kinds of things make me wonder why things such as telecommunications can't suffice.  Why does he have to be there in person?

I mean.. if he can deal with the jet lag, why not just do the meetings in the late evening or middle of the night?

As oil prices rise in the future, it will become increasingly hard to justify such trips.  We might as well get used to it now.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »

The President of the United States should clearly fly Southwest and take a taxi from the airport to the nearest Best Western franchise in Mumbai.

But I agree, we'd be better off with teleconferences.  But there's also the security concern there that important business can't be dealt with due to fear of 3rd party phone tapping.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 09:39:24 PM »

These kinds of things make me wonder why things such as telecommunications can't suffice.  Why does he have to be there in person?

I mean.. if he can deal with the jet lag, why not just do the meetings in the late evening or middle of the night?

It's psychological. With modern telecommunications and package delivery services, you could just have a big video conference with your relatives and mail them their presents for Christmas in lieu of an actually family get together, but would you really do that? Of course not. Actually physically meeting someone, being in the same room as them, has an effect on how you react to them and how they react to you. It's much more personal. And in matters of international diplomacy I imagine it's flattering to have the most powerful man on the planet actually take time to come visit you. On the other hand if you never got a visit you might feel insulted if you're in a position where you might expect such a visit.

So, yeah, while logically speaking everything could be handled with teleconferences human behavior dictates that actual diplomatic visits will be more likely to produce desirable results.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 09:45:24 PM »

Well, if you go to India, you gotta roll like a Maharaja. (But seriously aren't most of the expenses due to security concerns?)

Well Obama had better not ever say another word about "carbon footprint" again, after flying 40 aircraft 16,000 miles to make one diplomatic voyage, and driving 45 cars everywhere he goes, including some sort of Cadillac tank that makes the Hummer sound eco-friendly.

Unless, of course, he has no problem with shameless hypocrisy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 09:48:43 PM »

Sweet. The bigger the better; India is a hugely important country. If things go badly, it's our 1.2 billion- person bulwark and insurance policy against both AfPak Islamism and Chinese expansionism. Why do you think Bush was willing to break the non proliferation treaty to help them out? In this regard he was quite forward looking.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »

Sweet. The bigger the better; India is a hugely important country. If things go badly, it's our 1.2 billion- person bulwark and insurance policy against both AfPak Islamism and Chinese expansionism. Why do you think Bush was willing to break the non proliferation treaty to help them out? In this regard he was quite forward looking.

That pretty much sums up the Bush/Obama/NWO mentality. Big government, big business, big corporations...the little people are just expendable pawns in their games. Flying 40 polluting aircraft for one man to visit India, carbon tax for everyone else.

But of course the Romans, the British, the Soviets, and every other empire had the same mentality before they inevitably collapsed. All the bombastic military parades showing off their fancy weaponry couldn't save the Soviet Union. Nor will Obama showing off his Cadillac "Barack Mobiles" save the U.S. Empire.

Obama & co would do well to learn some ancient wisdom: μηδὲν ἄγαν
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 10:06:43 PM »

LOL. India's a big country. Compared to that, 40 planes is tiny; even if they were all filled with diplomats and businessmen who will make valuable contacts there. What can you do?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 07:18:21 AM »

(But seriously aren't most of the expenses due to security concerns?)

Yes; 900 people seems a reasonable number for advisers, Secret Service and press people.

Remember the President of the United States is a major terrorist target whoever the incumbent is.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 02:26:13 AM »

As usual, pointless fake outage.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 05:28:58 AM »

Just wondering, what was the entourage when Bush visited India in 2006?

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 12:09:04 PM »

Of course not. It's okay for Obama to be outraged that you're not using mercury light bulbs in your bathroom, but don't you dare say anything Obama's 640,000 miles worth of aircraft carbon emissions and air pollution.

Never mind all the inconveniences this no doubt causes to the people of India as Obama's imperial retinue comes to shut down town.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »

Disgusting.  Here's hoping we won't have to finance Pasha Boy's junkets past early 2013.

(Of course, we'll just be doing the same for some equally horrible as$hole, but at least we'll be rid of one).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 12:44:41 PM »

But I agree, we'd be better off with teleconferences.  But there's also the security concern there that important business can't be dealt with due to fear of 3rd party phone tapping.
Cryptography is a very advanced tech.  We can (and do) do secure communications between India and DC quite easily.

My post is my cite. Wink

(on the other hand, I really don't have much of a problem with the President taking his entourage to India as long as it's not happening twice a month or at inappropriate times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 01:01:18 PM »

That pretty much sums up the Bush/Obama/NWO mentality. Big government, big business, big corporations...the little people are just expendable pawns in their games.

But of course the Romans, the British, the Soviets, and every other empire had the same mentality before they inevitably collapsed.

Libertas, the collapse of those Empires resulted only in their replacement by other empires, and the empire of the 'Big' over the 'little' has never altered one bit, and never will.

You might as well be complaining about gravity.  Human society is an ugly, brutal heap of apes bashing those beneath them.  Get used to it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »

That pretty much sums up the Bush/Obama/NWO mentality. Big government, big business, big corporations...the little people are just expendable pawns in their games.

But of course the Romans, the British, the Soviets, and every other empire had the same mentality before they inevitably collapsed.

Libertas, the collapse of those Empires resulted only in their replacement by other empires, and the empire of the 'Big' over the 'little' has never altered one bit, and never will.

You might as well be complaining about gravity.  Human society is an ugly, brutal heap of apes bashing those beneath them.  Get used to it.

Opebo FTW like never before.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »

The planes and cars weren't enough for Emperor Obama's imperial retinue. He apparently also needs 34 warships, including an aircraft carrier, to accompany his trip to India.

Oh, and all the coconuts were removed from Mumbai's trees, lest one fall upon Obama's precious royal head.
Semaphore
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 06:51:07 PM »

First of all, publicly announcing which hotel Obama will supposedly stay at is such a brilliant idea. Booking 900 rooms isn't going to stop a very determined person from trying to blow up the entire hotel if he really wanted to. Or is this actually a decoy hotel? Even if he is the president, this just seems like overkill.

I don't believe that taxpayers should be burdened with paying for such ridiculous trips for politicians who are already paid well and given many perks, but oh well. I don't care what party or political affiliation a politician belongs to; everyone needs to stop getting overpaid and pampered at the expense of taxpayers, particularly when it's very questionable how much work that they're actually accomplishing.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »

Royalty can do as they please, fool. Smiley
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 09:42:19 PM »

is this the $200 million PER DAY trip?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 06:13:54 AM »

That number was made up.

In other news, thanks for alerting me to what I'm going to hear my father whine about over Thanksgiving.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 08:23:36 AM »

That number was made up.

In other news, thanks for alerting me to what I'm going to hear my father whine about over Thanksgiving.

then, what is actually price tag, $190M/day?  and if you don't know the actual cost, then how can you refute the $200M/day?

please save me a place setting at your Thanksgiving dinner.......hint:  I'm a lot smarter than your father...but, seeing how you turned out, that was already obvious. Wink
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »

I actually think the actual cost is more towards $500 million per day, and since you don't know the actual cost, you can't refudiate me.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 08:27:21 AM »

then, what is actually price tag, $190M/day?  and if you don't know the actual cost, then how can you refute the $200M/day?

Think about that logic for a minute. If you don't know the number, you can make it up, and the burden of proof is on the other person to say you aren't right. Ridiculous.

The correct answer: we don't know how much it costs. Taking a made-up number and criticizing the President on that basis is bearing false witness.

My Dad's a smart and successful guy (electrical engineer by training, then successful small businessman) who has the character flaw of trusting the Wall St. Journal's editorial page.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies