Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear live link
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:08:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear live link
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear live link  (Read 2032 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 02:02:45 PM »

This really was fantastic, it showed how the best of America can counter the toxic political environment that exists. The thing is, were it not for a few raging nut-bags on both sides, life would be so much easier.

The problem is, people whine about "spineless" and "opportunistic" moderates, then turn around and criticize polarization.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »

This really was fantastic, it showed how the best of America can counter the toxic political environment that exists. The thing is, were it not for a few raging nut-bags on both sides, life would be so much easier.

The problem is, people whine about "spineless" and "opportunistic" moderates, then turn around and criticize polarization.

It's possible to be moderate without being spineless, but so few are.

The moderates we have in Congress today work like this:

(1) Majority (left) introduces landmark legislation
(2) Minority (right) has their own ideas
(3) Moderates force the stripping of majority's legislation of all meat and substance
(4) Minority bill dies in committee
(5) Weak pointless bill passes, minority still votes against it

Here's how moderates should work:

(1) Majority introduces landmark legislation
(2) Minority has their own ideas
(3) Moderates incorporate minority ideas into the majority legislation up to the point where the majority is the foundation of the act but the minority expands on it to protect their beliefs (kinda like how the Federalists were major forces behind the Constitution while the States Rightists had enormous influence on the Bill of Rights).
(4) Both bills are merged together in committee, amendments are passed on all sides
(5) Powerful and effective legislation passes in veto proof majority, signed next day and America is saved

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »

It was a bunch of college students who wanted to be entertained for free. It was pointless. Also, Stewart is immersed in irony. He criticizes media, especially Fox News, for taking things out of context but then he himself takes snippets out of context too. So essentially, he is part of the problem that he mocks!

Also, this was clearly a liberal rally, and was clearly a direct counter to Beck. To deny this is absurd. Regardless, he still exacerbates the problem by enforcing the wedge that exists - here be sanity, there (Tea Partiers, etc) be an insane asylum. Hardly unity, is it? And who is he to judge what's sane and what's not? That's beyond pretentious and self-righteous.

It's kind of like Live 8 was in 2005 - It proclaims to have an underlying message, and people may support that message, but the message is lost in the day's free event, and the following day everyone goes back to normal life and forgets about it completely. Utterly useless.

Stewart likes to think he is smarter and more powerful than he really is.

I'm currently in DC and I refused to go. I'm more angry about the tourists who jam pack the already horrible metro and refuse to obey the 'stand right, walk left' on the escalators.

I'm a Conservative, but I love Colbert's humor, even if it normally knocks my own side. Besides, if I'd gone, it wouldn't have been for a "message", it would've been for laughs.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 10:15:06 PM »

I'm pleasantly surprised at how non-partisan this is. I sort of figured it would somehow endorse Democrats or the left and/or be anti-Tea Party. Not so. In fact, it's almost apolitical.
Yeah, Jon isn't as "left leaning" as popular wisdom tells us he is.  He may pound on the right more, but he certainly hits the left a lot too.  Especially now that they have been in power and have failed at it (again).

I think that this is more a function of his being left of the Democratic Party than anything.

And that the rule-of-thumb for any left-leaning comedian seems to be that the Republicans are evil and the Democrats are incompetent.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 11:22:50 PM »

I'm pleasantly surprised at how non-partisan this is. I sort of figured it would somehow endorse Democrats or the left and/or be anti-Tea Party. Not so. In fact, it's almost apolitical.
Yeah, Jon isn't as "left leaning" as popular wisdom tells us he is.  He may pound on the right more, but he certainly hits the left a lot too.  Especially now that they have been in power and have failed at it (again).

I think that this is more a function of his being left of the Democratic Party than anything.

And that the rule-of-thumb for any left-leaning comedian seems to be that the Republicans are evil and the Democrats are incompetent.

Also known as the "it's funny because it's true" rule.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies