Predict the next Speaker of the House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:36:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Predict the next Speaker of the House
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Predict the next Speaker of the House  (Read 2154 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:16:30 PM »

Whenever Democrats retain a Controll or GOP would take over.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:18:36 PM »

Johnny Boy.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:20:39 PM »

I can't say for sure, because if Republicans do take the House, they'll decide on someone else other than Boehner as Speaker. For entertainment value, I want it to be Michele Bachmann, but I don't think the caucus will be that stupid.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 12:21:57 PM »

Madame Speaker Bachmann... if Democrats have to lose House in 2010, which seems fairly likely, that would be the best gift for Obama for 2012.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »

I can't say for sure, because if Republicans do take the House, they'll decide on someone else other than Boehner as Speaker. For entertainment value, I want it to be Michele Bachmann, but I don't think the caucus will be that stupid.

Well, the Dems picked Pelosi, so...
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »

I'd imagine it will be Boehner if they take it back this year.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 12:59:10 PM »

Boehner for sure. If not him, Cantor or Pence.

The only chance of it not being Boehner would be him campaigning for Iott turning into a Lott-Thurmond type scandal. With him promising to stop Obamacare and and such, I don't see a tea party backed guy beating Boehner.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »

Boehner's been making solidly large campaign contributions to most of the tea party challengers this year.

He has a rock-solid contingency plan.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 02:04:19 PM »

I'm hoping for some dark horse, but most likely it will be Boehner.
Rococo4

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »

boehner.  i dont think its even a question
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 02:42:30 PM »

Personally, I have no doubts that with a Republican takeover, it's going to be Boehner.

Unless, as Yank mentioned, he'll committ a Lott-style suicide, but I doubt that.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 03:06:33 PM »

It will be Boehner.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 03:10:44 PM »

Boehner, ugh. It's hella depressing.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 03:20:07 PM »

Hopefully Boehner.  He isn't perfect,but if it's going to be a GOP Congress he isn't as terrible as, say, the cloud of smug that follows Eric Cantor.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 04:33:22 PM »

Hopefully Boehner.  He isn't perfect,but if it's going to be a GOP Congress he isn't as terrible as, say, the cloud of smug that follows Eric Cantor.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand I dislike Pelosi for loading the docket with Democratic pet-projects like Cap-and-Trade when they should have focused on the economy. On the other hand Boehner won't be much better as far as I can tell..
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 05:52:37 PM »

Boehner, and his first act as Speaker will be to repeal the tanning bed tax.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »

John Boehner will be Speaker of the House come January.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 06:45:20 PM »

How is this even a question?  If the GOP takes the House this year (which they look likely to do), then Boehner will obviously become Speaker.  I mean, how many elections in the history of the world have seen a party take over a legislative majority, only to immediately dump their leader?  Only one that comes to mind offhand is Trent Lott being ousted in 2002 after the GOP took the Senate.  So unless Boehner makes a Strom Thurmond-like gaffe, and unless the Dems actually retain the House, he will be the next Speaker.

The more interesting question is who will be the next House Minority Leader.  I'm guessing that, assuming the GOP wins, Pelosi steps down from the leadership, and Hoyer takes over.  But I don't think that's a lock.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »

How is this even a question?  If the GOP takes the House this year (which they look likely to do), then Boehner will obviously become Speaker.  I mean, how many elections in the history of the world have seen a party take over a legislative majority, only to immediately dump their leader?  Only one that comes to mind offhand is Trent Lott being ousted in 2002 after the GOP took the Senate.  So unless Boehner makes a Strom Thurmond-like gaffe, and unless the Dems actually retain the House, he will be the next Speaker.

The more interesting question is who will be the next House Minority Leader.  I'm guessing that, assuming the GOP wins, Pelosi steps down from the leadership, and Hoyer takes over.  But I don't think that's a lock.

In the NY Assembly elections of 1883? 1884?  Teddy Roosevelt worked his tail off as minority leader to make sure the next assembly had a GOP majority and his reword for his successfull effort was being sacked by the NY GOP establishment. You just can't win. Tongue
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 09:03:47 PM »

I'd like to hope we go in a different direction on the Dem side than just bumping up Steny Hoyer.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »

I'd like to hope we go in a different direction on the Dem side than just bumping up Steny Hoyer.

This article seems to suggest that he'd be the odds-on favorite:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/44386_Page3.html

with John Larson being the only name that's been floated to challenge him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 09:22:21 PM »

Boehner, and I'm disappointed that there are no Boehner masks available this Halloween. He's pretty scary, but I guess the masks will have to wait for future Halloweens.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 09:43:25 PM »

Incidentally, if you'd asked a political junkie ten years ago "Who will be the next GOP House Speaker after Denny Hastert?", Boehner is one of the last names that would come up.  He really appeared to be done after he was ousted from the leadership in 1998.  This is a remarkable comeback.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »

Incidentally, if you'd asked a political junkie ten years ago "Who will be the next GOP House Speaker after Denny Hastert?", Boehner is one of the last names that would come up.  He really appeared to be done after he was ousted from the leadership in 1998.  This is a remarkable comeback.

I don't think anybody ever expected Gingrich and his wing of the party too be vindicated nor for neoconservatism to suddenly become a bad word in political circles.

That's probably the only thing I respect in regards Boehner.  He didn't follow the crowd and change his beliefs to save his job back then and it paid off.

I fully expect him to be an epic fail Speaker, though.  He still has yet to show he can rally for votes in the House one bit.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 10:12:54 PM »

Boehner for sure. If not him, Cantor or Pence.

The only chance of it not being Boehner would be him campaigning for Iott turning into a Lott-Thurmond type scandal. With him promising to stop Obamacare and and such, I don't see a tea party backed guy beating Boehner.

Yes, and one coup master won't be helping, this time.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies