Which is more likely?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:17:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Which is more likely?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these two things is more likely?
The GOP nominates a pro-choice candidate

The Dems nominate a pro-life candidate

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Which is more likely?  (Read 670 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:27:35 PM »

I'd say the former - Giuliani was seriously talked about in '08, and led in the polls several times (although he ran a terrible campaign), while Pataki (and Giuliani) is being semi-seriously talked about for 2012, and Colin Powell could easily have had the nomination had he ran in 1996, while Forbes ran a serious pro-choice campaign that year.  I can't recall the last time a pro-life candidate was seriously talked about for the Democratic nomination.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »

The Republicans nominating a pro-choice candidate, they might have a hard time with some conservatives, but they could still squeeze through. A Pro-life Democrat wouldn't get through many primaries, at least not the big ones.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 02:52:29 PM »

sadly, the first one.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:39:37 PM »

The Republicans are an evangelical-libertarian coalition with an emphasis on the first component; they would never nominate a pro-choice candidate.  The Democrats are the "not Republicans" party and thus a bigger tent with more diverse views, making it easier for a democratic pro-life candidate to get through the primaries.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »

As time goes on, I don't think that either is really outside the realm of possibility. To be sure, abortion will likely always be a divisive wedge issue. That being said, I could see a future where Republicans stress fiscal conservatism as the central issue of their platform--not necessarily forsaking social conservatism, but framing a platform as such that abortion, gay marriage, etc. are secondary to economic issues.

For example, in the state in which I live, I think Rick Snyder sort of embodied that sort of message. He had indicated that he was pro-life in interviews and the like, but that wasn't the central argument of his campaign, and he could have won just as easily had he been as pro-choice as your average run-of-the-mill Democrat. I simply don't see a pro-choice Democrat making it through a Presidential primary without a drastic shift to the right in terms of the overall mentality of the electorate.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 06:51:45 PM »

The former, very unfortunately.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 06:53:19 PM »

Pro-life Democrats would be far more likely, given that the party is increasingly composed of generally Pro-life Minorities.  A Pro-life Hispanic Democrat could probably win the Democratic primary, especially if he/she is a solid Liberal in other areas.  Is there any Democrat on this forum for whom abortion is a completely make/break issue?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies