Pence to step down from House leadership position in next Congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:07:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Pence to step down from House leadership position in next Congress?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pence to step down from House leadership position in next Congress?  (Read 2387 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2010, 04:28:07 AM »

This has been rumored in the past, but it's reiterated here:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/44201.html

and here:

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/political/Pence-Leaving-Leadership-Position-105815013.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That would mean that, if the GOP takes the House, the House Majority Whip position would be open, and the current buzz is that Kevin McCarthy would be the favorite for that job.  Pence is refusing to confirm or deny these stories:

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/politics/congressman-pence-speaks-to-rumors

but I guess we'll find out within the next week or so, as we see who decides to run for leadership positions in the next Congress.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 08:26:45 AM »

He will step down.  Whether he runs for Governor or President is dependent on what Daniels does, though Governor seems more likely.  I can't think of a single president that went from Congressman to President, most are either senators, governors, or generals.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:11:07 PM »

It seems unrealistic that he could win the Republican nomination, especially against the heir apparent Mitt Romney, and the tea party darling Palin. Therefore, I'll be hoping that he runs for Governor.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »

running for governor would be best for him. Being in House leadership, having 2 years as as successful governor would make a good resume. I'm assuming Daniels will run for President
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »

I was with him on a bus the other day, and I heard several of his aides talking about it. He is touring the state heavily to build up name recognition for a Gubernatorial run in 2012. He isn't too crazy about being President yet.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 03:45:23 PM »

What?  Why were you taking the bus with Mike Pence?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 04:15:09 PM »

What?  Why were you taking the bus with Mike Pence?

Like I said, he's been touring the state to build up name recognition. He held a bus tour, and I was on it. Had a chance to talk with him, Larry Buchson, and several other local officials. I must say, I'm extremely impressed with Pence. He's a very personable guy who seems to be in this for the right reasons.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »

Like I said, he's been touring the state to build up name recognition. He held a bus tour, and I was on it. Had a chance to talk with him, Larry Buchson, and several other local officials. I must say, I'm extremely impressed with Pence. He's a very personable guy who seems to be in this for the right reasons.

I'm annoyed that, even though I'm friends with two of Pence's children, you have better access to him than I do Tongue
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 06:32:54 PM »

He will step down.  Whether he runs for Governor or President is dependent on what Daniels does, though Governor seems more likely.  I can't think of a single president that went from Congressman to President, most are either senators, governors, or generals.

dude, Pence is in a much stronger position than Daniels.  and Pence is already the darling of Iowa.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 06:49:51 PM »

I'm annoyed that, even though I'm friends with two of Pence's children, you have better access to him than I do Tongue

he's also a republican Wink
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 07:05:48 PM »

His itinerary suggests a gubernatorial run.  I assume he'll end up endorsing Daniels for president, if he runs, despite Daniels signing a letter asking for stimulus expenditures to be extended and saying he's open-minded about raising taxes.   Daniels's reciprocal endorsement will be more valuable to him than plausible sincerity.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »

Is there still talk of Bayh running for Indiana Governor in 2012? Or has that rumor disappeared lately (much like the man himself). If not, I think that Pence has an excellent chance of moving on up.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 01:58:49 PM »

You know two of Pence's children?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 02:57:35 PM »

It's official.  Pence is stepping down from the leadership:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/127455-pence-steps-down-as-no-3-republican-in-house

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 03:03:56 PM »

I do.  I also know the children of (former) Senator Lincoln and Senator Pryor.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 03:07:55 PM »

And now the guessing game begins.  Which will he go for?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »

A TV station in Fort Wayne (with the call letters WANE....har har) is reporting that a Republican official in Allen County has been told directly by Pence staffers that he's running for governor.  But those are anonymous sources who aren't going on the record.  Publicly, Pence's people still say he hasn't decided:

http://www.wane.com/dpp/elections/pence-defeats-welsh

Bull Moose Base

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »

I went to an amusement park and sat next to Pence on a roller coaster.  I'm also romantically involved with his sister.  He's going to endorse Daniels (who I collided with on bumper cars.  He slammed me because I'm screwing his daughter too   But he told me he's running.)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 05:38:59 PM »

Well I could have told you that... Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »

Allow me to express my shock.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »

I went to an amusement park and sat next to Pence on a roller coaster.  I'm also romantically involved with his sister.  He's going to endorse Daniels (who I collided with on bumper cars.  He slammed me because I'm screwing his daughter too   But he told me he's running.)

I don't know if this is true (you're being sarcastic, aren't you?), but it seems very unlikely.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »

I don't know if this is true (you're being sarcastic, aren't you?), but it seems very unlikely.

I'm pretty sure he's being dead serious.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »

To be clear, *publicly* at least, Pence has not confirmed that he's running for governor.  He has not indicated whether he's going to run for president, or governor, or none of the above.  When asked about it on "This Week", he said that he'll announce a decision on his future plans some time "after the first of the year":

http://www.gop12.com/2010/11/pence-2012-decision-after-january.html
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 01:02:50 PM »

This is obviously a troll move, Cathcon. Don't feed him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies