Brief Election Day Timeline and some Questions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:18:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Brief Election Day Timeline and some Questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brief Election Day Timeline and some Questions  (Read 565 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2010, 07:11:20 PM »

As of 8:00 pm CT (9:00 pm ET), there are 32 hours until Vermont opens its polls as the first state in the nation to open it up.  All the polls will be open in 40 hours with Hawaii opening up at 1:00 pm ET, Noon CT.  The first polls will start closing in Indiana and Kentucky in 45 hours at 6:00 pm ET, 5:00 pm CT.  All polls will be closed in 52 hours at 1:00 am ET, 12:00 am CT, 11/3 in the Alaskan Alleutian Islands.

Does Dixville Notch, NH vote at midnight ET during Mid-Terms or just Presidential years?

Seeing as how Indiana and Kentucky Eastern Time Polling Places close at 6:00 pm ET, will the networks start calling them then or will they wait until an hour later when the Central Time Polls close?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »

I think the networks understand now not to release stuff until all the polls in a state are closed. Indiana and Kentucky will then count their votes in a hurry, particularly Kentucky, which uses computers. Presumably Paul and Coats will be declared the winner based on exit polls, as soon as all the polls have closed. I suspect exit polls will not be used to call House races, other than in the Dakotas.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:35:24 PM »

Indiana could start coming in as early as 6:15, though that's not very likely. I'd say that IN-08 will be Republicans first pickup of the night though.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »

How good are Walorski's chances? Her race will probably be one of the first called too.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:43:07 PM »

How good are Walorski's chances? Her race will probably be one of the first called too.

IN-2 is a tossup. I have it in the GOP column by a hair, but probably a majority of the handicappers have it for the Dems. It won't be called for hours, I suspect, unless we get up to Vepres territory, pushing a 80-90 seat gain, and then maybe it will be called faster for the GOP. IN-9, and KY-6, will be the first to give a real clue as to how big the blowout will be.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:45:11 PM »

I guess what I'm asking is by getting home and turning on the TV at 5:40 pm CT, how much will I miss?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 08:51:44 PM »

I guess what I'm asking is by getting home and turning on the TV at 5:40 pm CT, how much will I miss?

Exit poll info for KY and IN, and some raw vote from both. That is it - except for teaser stuff maybe from the national exit poll. That assumes that everything isn't impounded until the polls close in western KY and the Chicago burbs in IN at 7 pm EST. They should impound the votes until 7 pm EST, and I suspect they will. If they do impound, you will have missed nothing.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 08:54:43 PM »

Exit poll info for KY and IN, and some raw vote from both. That is it - except for teaser stuff maybe from the national exit poll. That assumes that everything isn't impounded until the polls close in western KY and the Chicago burbs in IN at 7 pm EST. They should impound the votes until 7 pm EST, and I suspect they will. If they do impound, you will have missed nothing.

The TV media might impound the vote results until 7pm, but various websites probably won't, if 2008 or the 2010 primaries were any guide.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »

After the 2000 election night debacle, the networks agreed to stop releasing their exit polls until all the polls in the state have closed.  They also won't call states based off of exit polls until all the polls in the state have closed.  Thus we won't have IN and KY exit polls until 7pm, when all the polls in the state have closed.

However, the states themselves may release data whenever they want, and in subsequent elections, they have continued to release results for the Eastern timezone regions of IN and KY after 6pm.  And the media will report on those raw vote totals coming from each state, just not the exit polls until 7pm.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »

That is interesting. By 7 pm, it will be obvious that Paul at least has won. KY counts its votes that fast.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:03:18 PM »

Also, the networks now get their first looks at the exit polls (nationally, and for individual statewide races) shortly after 5pm, and will start running stories like "38% of voters who think the economy is getting worse voted for such-and-such" from 5:15 onwards, but not enough to tell you who won.  Exit poll leaks that the networks aren't allowed to talk about on air may occur any time after 5:15 or so.  But you probably shouldn't put too much stock in exit polls anyway.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 09:48:29 PM »

That is interesting. By 7 pm, it will be obvious that Paul at least has won. KY counts its votes that fast.

It was obvious that Paul would win in May.  Why do we have to wait until 7 PM?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies