Two More Months! The January 2011 Cathcon for Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:02:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Two More Months! The January 2011 Cathcon for Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Two More Months! The January 2011 Cathcon for Assembly Thread  (Read 5232 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »

Restoring unions to what they were intended to be is something I would support. I assume you approve of Right to Work States then? Giving employees the option of joining unions or not joining unions.

Exactly. I believe that unions were needed to act as a counter-weight to corporations to make sure that both parties' interests were met, and I believe that nowadays, they need to go back to that message, and get rid of corruption and monopolies.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 11:42:48 PM »

Endorsed.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 06:16:13 PM »

Accepted.

While I'm posting, does anyone have any questions?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 06:42:13 PM »

No questions or comments?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 06:44:08 PM »

Umm... good luck?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 06:57:40 PM »

Cathcon Official Summarized Platform

Basic Socio/Economic Positions:
1) I Believe that tax cuts spur economic growth
2) I believe in the right of unions to exist in order to act as a counterweight to corporations
3) I believe that both union and corporate reform is needed
4) I believe that the government needs to stop funding public radio. If not enough people care about the station or program to keep it alive, then it must not mean that much
5) I believe that it is not the government's responsibility to fund art projects for people that can't find sponsors or fund themselves
6) I believe in the right of the unborn to live, and that one's life shouldn't be decided on whether one is wanted by one's parents or not
7) I believe that gay marriage should go to the regions for voting
8 ) I believe laws on drug use should go to the regions for voting

Other ideological views shall be written here after I've talked with people more familiar with Atlasia, who know what issues are important to voters.

If anyone that has endorsed thus far that has found that they don't agree with me on the issues above, they may withdraw their endorsement.

Kudos on providing a platform, Cathcon. Many candidates don't. Can I please pose a few questions on yours?

3) Can you be more specific in what kind of reform is necessary for corporations and unions? Any ideas for legislation you might propose or support in this area?

4 & 5) You do realize that the VAST majority of public radio, tv and artistic programs receiving government funds (a minuscule portion of the federal and regional budgets) are already mostly supported by private donations and sponsorships? Still, that contribution in federal and state dollars is crucial to making the difference between such endeavors existing or not. My wife works for an art center with facilities on both sides of the Indiana-Ohio border serving the rural small town communities there. Deep, deep state budget cuts have already caused cutbacks in staff and hiring local artists to teach classes, adding to an already bad unemployment situation. I saw my wife for the first time last night all week as she ceaselessly lobbies and cajoles local community and business groups for support, but still struggles against the same economic downturn limiting private sponsorship.

With that guilt-ridden diatribe in mind Grin, would you still support further cuts to the already minuscule regional funding for the arts and public broadcasting?

6) Does this mean you would support something like this in the Assembly despite having recently been overwhelmingly rejected by the voters of this region?

7 & 8 Regionalism on these issues is all fine and good (in Atlasia at least), but as you are running for a regional office, how would you vote on these issues in the Assembly?

Thanks for your attention, and sorry for the diatribe re: #5. With Kasich's election our family's worried whether the art center my wife started in our little town, or even her job with the organization, will survive. Sad

3) I do not yet have specific policies in mind, except the following: Stop unions from forcing employees of a certain industry to join. As a relative of a Pontiac teacher, the union there forces her to join and get the benefits, or to pay the dues and not get the benefits. I would also work to get corruption out of both unions and corporations.

As for corporations, I am referring to the recent economic crisis, and the reform that would stop investors from being swindled, and to not put the Atlasian economy at the risk of a few bankers

4 & 5) Given new light you shed on the subject, I would keep current levels of funding until the stations, art workshops, etc. presented alternatives to government funding (foundations, corporations, sponsors, community).

6) I would still support the bill. I believe sincerely in the right to life, and if that means I lose election, then that means I lose election.

7 & 8; I would vote for gay marriage on a regional level to be struck down. As for drug use, I'm more on the fence, however my default position would be to also not vote for it on a regional level.

I hope I answered your questions, though I will work for more specific poly positions on #3.

Thanks for your response, and particularly your change of heart on #4 & 5. Smiley Though to be clear don't hold your breath waiting for "alternatives" to government funding. As I indicated those sources are already stretched and capitalized on to the utmost.

Would you be willing to elaborate on why you would opposed granting gays the right to marry? FWIW, are you aware that legalized gay marriage is already the status quo in Atlasia?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 07:06:57 PM »

Thanks for your response, and particularly your change of heart on #4 & 5. Smiley Though to be clear don't hold your breath waiting for "alternatives" to government funding. As I indicated those sources are already stretched and capitalized on to the utmost.

Would you be willing to elaborate on why you would opposed granting gays the right to marry? FWIW, are you aware that legalized gay marriage is already the status quo in Atlasia?

Well, don't think I'm such a great guy just yet, my heart's hardened back up and I would, of course, audit anything with government funding, and also make the defendants of the places answer for why whatever they're running (radio station, art thingymabob) is important.

As for gay marriage, I happen to believe a relationship between two men or two women is not marriage in the sense that it was and is meant to be. However, I believe that civil unions are a semi-suitable compromise.

No, I did not know that gay-marriage is the status quo in Atlasia. Had I been in any government position at the time that this was passed, I woudl have opposed it though.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 09:28:54 PM »

Thanks, but we probably have the exact opposite political views.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 09:31:21 PM »

And as for Badger, just because of my "change in heart" doesn't mean that you can expect me to be rallying for the government paying more artists any time soon. I still don't believe in the government giving money away to artists (I consider myself somewhat of an artist), it's just that the government has to be able to ease out of it's current commitments in the most graceful way possible.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »

Endorsed.  Good luck in Atlasia.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 12:27:45 AM »

And as for Badger, just because of my "change in heart" doesn't mean that you can expect me to be rallying for the government paying more artists any time soon. I still don't believe in the government giving money away to artists (I consider myself somewhat of an artist), it's just that the government has to be able to ease out of it's current commitments in the most graceful way possible.

FYI, the government pays relatively little to artists directly. There are art centers providing art classes for kids in areas that don't have opportunities otherwise. Don't automatically think "ghetto"; rural areas hours from the nearest art museum fit just as well. Not to mention local community centers that hire local artist for things like town murals, etc. etc.

I understand that times are tough, but when we talk about government "easing of its commitments in the most graceful way possible", I would've hoped you would've gone past typical conservative bromides of relying on cutting a sliver of a fraction of a percent of the overall budget--which is matched by private spending more than just about any other form of public spending and stimulates economic growth well out of proportion to the paltry sum spent on it--and maybe actually focused on increasing high earner income taxes <gasp! herasay!!> which have plummeted in decades. There's not an ounce of doubt to anyone who can put math above ideology which is more responsible for growing national debt.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »

As for gay marriage, I happen to believe a relationship between two men or two women is not marriage in the sense that it was and is meant to be. However, I believe that civil unions are a semi-suitable compromise.

No, I did not know that gay-marriage is the status quo in Atlasia. Had I been in any government position at the time that this was passed, I woudl have opposed it though.

Can I ask you the same question I asked the chappie who founded the Dixiecrats; would you support efforts to repeal such legislation?

Off topic a bit, I think we need to re-instate the 'Welcome to Atlasia' thread for newcomers.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 04:09:04 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2010, 04:44:47 PM by Cathcon »

Can I ask you the same question I asked the chappie who founded the Dixiecrats; would you support efforts to repeal such legislation?

Off topic a bit, I think we need to re-instate the 'Welcome to Atlasia' thread for newcomers.

If I'm elected to Atlasia, that wouldn't be the centerpiece of my platform, doemstically, or even socially. I would focus on any deficit that the region might have, on taxes, and on other social issues such as immigration.

FYI, the government pays relatively little to artists directly. There are art centers providing art classes for kids in areas that don't have opportunities otherwise. Don't automatically think "ghetto"; rural areas hours from the nearest art museum fit just as well. Not to mention local community centers that hire local artist for things like town murals, etc. etc.

I understand that times are tough, but when we talk about government "easing of its commitments in the most graceful way possible", I would've hoped you would've gone past typical conservative bromides of relying on cutting a sliver of a fraction of a percent of the overall budget--which is matched by private spending more than just about any other form of public spending and stimulates economic growth well out of proportion to the paltry sum spent on it--and maybe actually focused on increasing high earner income taxes <gasp! herasay!!> which have plummeted in decades. There's not an ounce of doubt to anyone who can put math above ideology which is more responsible for growing national debt.

I'm listening.

As for the deficit, I wouldn't only work on doemstic spending, but also military spending. From what I've read, we can still have a strong national defense while getting rid of waste. However, as I'm running for MidEast Assembly, defense spending isn't really an issue.

As for education, in relation to what you're talking about, I personally believe education is the best investment in domestic spending the government can make, as long as it's good and worthwhile education. I would support a needed reform of government run education, whetehr on a federal or regional level.

On local community centers, I would say to hand them off to the community, which would most likely be the best at judging how the community should use them. I also believe in localizing spending more, so that a town taxes its occupants in order to fund itself, while a state does the same thing in order to support itself, instead of the state and the two taxing, and the state handing money off to the town. I hope you know what I mean.

As for the national debt, I believe that's our biggest concern, and I think that that should be at the front of any national politician's mind.

If there are any more questions, or if Badger wants to respond to this, you're welcom to ask and/or respond.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »

If I'm elected to Atlasia, that wouldn't be the centerpiece of my platform, doemstically, or even socially. I would focus on any deficit that the region might have, on taxes, and on other social issues such as immigration.

I'm listening.

As for the deficit, I wouldn't only work on doemstic spending, but also military spending. From what I've read, we can still have a strong national defense while getting rid of waste. However, as I'm running for MidEast Assembly, defense spending isn't really an issue.

As for education, in relation to what you're talking about, I personally believe education is the best investment in domestic spending the government can make, as long as it's good and worthwhile education. I would support a needed reform of government run education, whetehr on a federal or regional level.

On local community centers, I would say to hand them off to the community, which would most likely be the best at judging how the community should use them. I also believe in localizing spending more, so that a town taxes its occupants in order to fund itself, while a state does the same thing in order to support itself, instead of the state and the two taxing, and the state handing money off to the town. I hope you know what I mean.

As for the national debt, I believe that's our biggest concern, and I think that that should be at the front of any national politician's mind.

If there are any more questions, or if Badger wants to respond to this, you're welcom to ask and/or respond.

The local community centers ARE ALREADY community run, Cathcon. The issue isn't control as conservatives inevitably (and inaccurately) phrase it, it's funding. Funding one's own community sounds all nice and self-sufficient on paper, but infeasible in practice. This isn't about communities spending past their means, but about many communities not having the pool of resources necessary to individually fund these measures. That leads to less affluent communities falling further and further behind as services like schools, police, fire, sanitation, etc deteriorate and the community has to raise taxes just to keep up even diminished services.

In the case of rural art centers, its a matter that the very affluent individuals and businesses that tend to fund the local arts, while not absent in small towns, are a much lower per capita part of the rural population and economy than in the cities. The end result being the opportunity for exposure to the arts for both children and adults in rural areas tend to be not only far less available than in urban areas, but often bordering on nonexistent.

A truly minute amount of state funding in the area--just for example, though many others equally apply--can change that situation dramatically, and that's already after theroughly raising local resources and maintaining community control over their use, thank you.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »

The thread title from the main page looks like it says you are running for Ass. I find that humorous.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 04:19:20 PM »

Badger, just be aware that I'm reading and taking in everything you're saying. It's very informative.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 04:39:24 PM »

Badger, just be aware that I'm reading and taking in everything you're saying. It's very informative.

Fair enough. We obviously disagree on several issues, but you're at least willing to listen and it's always good to have new activity in regional government. Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2010, 11:02:26 PM »

The thread title from the main page looks like it says you are running for Ass.

Why do you think I'm getting into politics?
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2010, 07:53:40 PM »

Endorsed !

Fine to see volunteers for this Assembly ! (not like me Wink)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2010, 03:18:51 PM »

I thank you all for your endorsements and wishes of good luck. I think I heard something about voting beginning tomorrow. Is that true?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2010, 05:17:39 PM »

I thank you all for your endorsements and wishes of good luck. I think I heard something about voting beginning tomorrow. Is that true?

correct.

Quick questions.

What are your stances on the Firearms and Abortion bills?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 09:49:07 PM »

correct.

Quick questions.

Firearms: I believe in the Right to Bear Arms, though some obvious regulation is required.

Abortion: I am vehemently pro-life, and will do what I can to make Atlasia safe for the living. However, I'm not sure about the specifics of the constitution, and how it pertains to whether it's up to the regions or not.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 09:52:09 PM »

correct.

Quick questions.

Firearms: I believe in the Right to Bear Arms, though some obvious regulation is required.

Abortion: I am vehemently pro-life, and will do what I can to make Atlasia safe for the living. However, I'm not sure about the specifics of the constitution, and how it pertains to whether it's up to the regions or not.

I'm talking about specifically about the Firearms and Abortion bills we are currently debating though Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »

correct.

Quick questions.

I'm talking about specifically about the Firearms and Abortion bills we are currently debating though Smiley

I will have to quickly check the "Atlas Fantasy Government" Thread. Be right back.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »

correct.

Quick questions.

I will have to quickly check the "Atlas Fantasy Government" Thread. Be right back.

Just got back from looking for bills. For the MidEast, I found the Taxing Abortion Act and the Firearms Safety Act, both of which, after a quick read, I generally support, though I would have to go back to hear everything about the nuances of the language. (I believe there is a debate about that for the Fire Arms Safety Act)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies