Congressional Republicans still less popular than Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:03:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congressional Republicans still less popular than Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congressional Republicans still less popular than Democrats  (Read 1457 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:12:18 AM »

Compare here.

http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_dem.htm
http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_rep.htm

Sadly for the Democrats, this election isn't about which party is more popular, it's about people unhappy with the status quo.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 06:33:42 AM »

It's a shame that the two party system results in opposition to one party meaning de facto support for the other party.

Of course I'm guilty of using the same reasoning....to limit Democratic power...but it still sucks.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:41:32 AM »

Which will make these results even more of a slap in the face to the Dems.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:44:09 AM »

Yeah, but I, as a Republican voter for Senate, certainly can't say I'd rather have Republicans fully back in power again.

Just looks like divided government is the only way to get spending under control, unfortunately...
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 08:23:34 AM »

LOL. I'm remembering "Don't get too cocky..." from a couple of years ago this time.

It's certainly a big stop sign for the Dems, much like 2006 was for the Republicans. But what the Republicans do with it will determine the shape of future policy. This is a mandate to oppose Obama, but they're going to have to proceed carefully if they want to carry out policies that they voters actually oppose. I'm curious to see what happens. Republicans are going to have to choose between staying in power and doing little, or accomplishing a lot like Obama did (like actually trying to move on entitlement reform instead of railing against Medicare cuts) and seeing some comfortable, cushy careers cut short. I suspect I know which path they'll take.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »

LOL. I'm remembering "Don't get too cocky..." from a couple of years ago this time.

I wasn't being cocky; I'm just stating what is pretty obvious: it's a big slap in the face for a political party to be headed towards possibly historic defeats while the main opposition is even less popular.

Believe me when I say that I've been warning my Republican friends that are already popping the champagne that this isn't over and they are absolutely insane to say 2012 is going to be even better for us. I frequently point out what happened in 1994 then 1996.

I'm perfectly consistent with this: we don't know what will happen a month from now, let alone two years.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 03:06:43 PM »

The Democrats will lose tonight, but this is very different than the GOP "winning"

If we really want to contemplate what a true 100 year storm Category 5 would have looked like, imagine if the GOP had an amazingly good leader with charm, charisma, etc.. an "anti-obama" with a message as positive as Obama had in 2008.

130 seats in the House?

The is a stunning accumulation of tactical victories, but there is no strategic triumph of mandate.

In 2012 the party that behaves most like an adult will likely earn an actual mandate to govern.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 03:13:42 PM »

I wasn't being cocky; I'm just stating what is pretty obvious: it's a big slap in the face for a political party to be headed towards possibly historic defeats while the main opposition is even less popular.

Believe me when I say that I've been warning my Republican friends that are already popping the champagne that this isn't over and they are absolutely insane to say 2012 is going to be even better for us. I frequently point out what happened in 1994 then 1996.

I'm perfectly consistent with this: we don't know what will happen a month from now, let alone two years.

I think that before we say 2012 is going to be better, we better see how well 2010 goes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »

I think that before we say 2012 is going to be better, we better see how well 2010 goes.

...that's exactly what I was saying.  Tongue
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 03:28:02 PM »

The deal ain't done till the check clears the bank, and fat lady ain't sung yet Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »

And I still don't believe that 248 R 187 D number.  Smiley
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 03:15:08 AM »

We have a saying in British politics: Oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them.

So, this isn't surprising to me.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 03:49:31 AM »

We have a saying in British politics: Oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them.

That's what we call here the "Strategy of the Mellow Fruit".
Opposition can do nothing and just wait till the government (which actually has to govern) becomes unpopular enough and reap the benefits of voter's dissatisfaction.
Republicans seem to have perfected that strategy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies