Junkie Concession Speech-- Again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:13:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Junkie Concession Speech-- Again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Junkie Concession Speech-- Again  (Read 5671 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »

I am satisfied with the candidate's answer and "legal perspective".

Good luck in your campaign

Here is $10 million in "campaign" money from the RPP coffers. Wink
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 08:52:54 PM »

It is very clear that there is a lot going on in Atlasia right now.  However, considering that I relatively new and running against some very well known individuals, I will continue to let people know who I am.  I have already posted above my general political positions.  If you have further questions about them, let me know.

More specifically, I have decided to let people know how I would have voted on specific bills that have recently been debated or voted on in the Senate.

The Freedom to Fly Act --> while I understand complaints with the TSA's procedures, I would note that the Administration has taken appropriate steps.  Abolishing the TSA appears to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  On my first week in the Milwaukee Courthouse, a defendant was killed in a courtroom after he grabbed a deputy's gun and shot the deputy in the leg.  That same week, I had one witness stab another witness in my office.  After those two incidents, security came down pretty hard.  You would be surprised how many weapons we still find attempting to come in.  Airplanes are a much bigger threat and have been for quite some time.  My concern is not that the TSA exists, but that it took us so long to create them.

Primate Protection Act --> I would vote against this act as well.  I believe that the best reasoning has already been spelled out by Max Que.  I concur with his reasoning, which articulated it much better than I could.

Caucus Act --> This one I found very interesting, but in the current structure not really that practical.  However, if the Senate had created Committees within the Senate, the Majority and Minority Leader would have some relevance in deciding who gets assigned to what committees.  You could have 4 committees (Internal Affairs/External Affairs/Budget/Judiciary) with 5 senators on each committee, giving a total of 20 spots.  Majority could have 3 spots on each committee and the minority 2 each.  Those are some quick ideas, but I kind of get the feeling that it might not be feasible or even in the advantage of the game.

Those are some ways I would have voted, let me know if you have any other questions.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 08:56:04 PM »

What type of lawyer business are you involved in??
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 12:04:48 AM »

I would like to time from this campaign to talk about the recent death of Senator Libertas.  It is very clear that there are very strong opinions on both sides.  In fact, it is probably not a wise decision to even weigh in on this issue at the risk of alienating either side.  I am hoping to draw support from every party, large and small, and serve everyone by addressing the issues the best way I can.

However, I have made it abundantly clear that I entered this race in an attempt to bring civility and rational discourse to the process.  Thus, while as a "new guy," I could duck the issue, I feel I must in order to stay true to the candidate (and hopefully Senator) I aspire to be.

I did not agree with Libertas on many issues.  Two that come clearly to mind are the Libertas Amendment (one of the reasons for previous aborted campaign when I was not eligible) and on the role of a prosecutor (I still believe that Marokai Blue acted in the truest and most ethical standards of that role).

However, while I always found my limited interaction with him to be cordial, his tone elsewhere and some of his opinions (which I do not deny him the right to have) I found down right offensive.  I will not weigh in on the legitimacy of any ban, we are using Dave's property and he has certain rules that we must all abide by.  But we all know these rules and sometimes there are prices to pay.

At the same time, I feel the need to say that I have found several of the reactions to his death to just as offensive.  While I understand why people my have such strong feelings, where does it end? 

As many of you know, I have decided to take up Xahar's excellent idea to try and compose a history of Atlasia (questions coming to "elderly" members still around).  One thing that has become abundantly clear, divisive rhetoric and hateful posts will only have negative effects on this game.  Many times back then, members concentrated more on "troll hunts" and attacking posts than actually trying to make this game work.  It has caused, and will cause, valuable members of the game to leave in disgust.

So please, whatever your feelings about Libertas, keep the discussion civil.  This is politics, so heated and impassioned are acceptable, but what I have seen recently is not.

Thank you for your time.

Junkie
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »

Well, the results are in and they completed a horrible weekend for me.  Marquette loses by a hair, the Bears get destroyed, and then I lose in a close election (at least I think it was close, because the math got a little confusing after a while -- if I am wrong, please let soldier on in my ignorance.

First I would thank everyone who supported me.  Nine first preferences was a nice showing.  It was nice to see so many votes from my colleagues in the Assembly, from a Supreme Court Justice that recently ruled against me (which I took to mean that while we may disagree, he believed in my ability) and especially from Tmth, who was so supportive when I first broached the crazy idea that I could win election.

I would also like to congratulate the winners.  Duke, you were excellent in providing advice and support and I am proud that you returned to the Senate.  I was especially touched to see the kind words of Antonio V that I would be a good Senator.  We may not always agree, but I echo the sentiments.  Lief and Dallasfan, you ran good campaigns and were class acts the entire race.  Bacon King, I am also happy you won, and I hope the dedication you will sow in the Senate will lead to a tactical error in Axis and Allies and lead to my victory.

Lastly, I would like to comment on the tone of the election.  I have no made no bones about the fact that I want this game to be civil even in times of our disagreements.  Up until last night, I was proud of that fact.  While some are happy that thoughts of others were "leaked" I am not one of those.  No one is perfect and often times our reactions and first impressions of the conduct of someone are wrong.  Private thoughts of a party should remain that way.  It allows for people to avoid the nastiness we saw last night.  I am sure that we all have seen situations where a person really pissed us off.  Venting in closed quarters is cathartic, but having everything out in the open just closes doors to reasoned and intelligent debate.

To those of you that are glad what happened added "drama" to the game, I can only say that if that is the type of fame you want, you can keep it.  I enjoy this game for the arguments, the ideology, the disagreements, and the eventual compromise.  This game should be about all those things, without making it personal.  Such conduct  will only lead to wars between cults of personality, that will drive me and I think others away.  This is not about the motives of those who leaked or those who posted those leaks, but rather about the entire tone of everyone in this game, me included.  I have not always been happy about everything that occurred here, but taking a breath or talking in private to others that I trust had led me so see through my own anger, contribute civilly, and quite frankly have more fun that if I had just started accusing people of things.

So again, thank you to my supporters and congrats to the newly elected Senators, I know you will continue to keep this type of game we can all fell proud to be a part of.

Junkie
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 01:25:06 PM »

Thank you for the shoutout. Poor Junkie. Sad You ran a great race, and hopefully you'll one day make it into the Senate, or at least some federal position.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 01:45:12 PM »

I'd like to congratulate you despite your loss. You were an excellent "opponent" and would certainly have made a great Senator. Actually, I would have liked to see you winning. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »

Junkie

I think the bolded parts speak volumes. Wink

Junkie, you are the type of poster this game desperately needs.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 03:13:22 PM »

You ran a campaign you should be proud of; remember, there is always next election *winkwinknudgenudge*.  I totally agree with you on the leaks, not much else to say in that regard.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »

Much props, man. I hope--and believe--you'll be in the Senate someday sooner rather than later.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »

Much props, man. I hope--and believe--you'll be in the Senate someday sooner rather than later.

Someone put Junkie on the court.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 05:17:58 PM »

I totally agree with this.  Just don't run against me please Wink lol
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 05:49:46 PM »

You ran a great race and I'm sorry you lost. Good luck in the future.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 09:47:37 PM »

Just a brief note that I am running for the Senate seat for the Mideast.  I know that I will be running against a highly respected Senator.  I know we will have a great race where we will concentrate on the issues.  More to follow.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »

Good luck! Smiley You'll have my first or second preference (assuming no one else joins). Tongue
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 09:49:28 PM »

I totally agree with this.  Just don't run against me please Wink lol

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This comes to mind lol
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »

Endorsed
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 09:59:13 PM »

Illegal campaign slush fund is on the way. Evil
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 10:04:42 AM »

Oh, no ! Sad You couldn't have put me on a worst situation... You and Happywarrior are both great forumers, you'd both deserve ti be elected but there's only one seat. In some way, I'm glad I can't vote in the ME. Tongue Well, anyways, I think it will be a formidable race, and I can be happy whatever the results are.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »

As you are are the sole voice of moderation and reason in the regional Assembly, I refuse to allow support your abandoning such a crucial job. Now get back to work! Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »

Endorsed!
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »

I have pulled myself together after an absolutely horrible two weeks at work...and I won't even begin to talk about the Bears recent loss.  I can't even begin to talk about it.And living in Wisconsin, being a Bears fan, today has not been any fun.

Unlike the Packers, I actually like HappyWarrior.  Thus this is a pleasant contest.  If anyone has any questions for either of us, or both of us, just shoot over to the open conversation thread.  Both of us really want to engage the voters.  Thanks to those who have asked questions.

We have already spelled out a few of our differences in that thread.  However, I would like to discuss my recent contributions in the Mideast Assembly and hopefully explain my position on some of the recent bills.

First, our Labor bill that has caused so much contention.  Unless, I am mistaken, much of the original bill came from a similar one in the Northeast.  My first amendment was an attempt to bring A-Bob and Badger together.  In the end, I believe that I accomplished that, allowing workers to leave a union or not join, yet avoid the "free-rider" concerns of Badger.

My second amendment was mainly of my own design.  Here in Wisconsin, prison guards fed the prisoners, locked them down, and then walked out for a short time over disagreements over a raising of pension contributions.  I quite frankly find that unacceptable.  All of the "emergency personnal" are of those types that I belive could put public safety at huge risk with a well timed strike to force a surrender to their desires.

I would note that I do realize that these types of unions need a recourse, so I established arbitration with judicial review.  We actually have that here in Wisconsin for police (sadly not for prosecutors) and it works well.  It prtoects the rights of unions to negotiate, and at the same time protects the public.  It also comes from my intense respect of the independant judiciary.  Something that I will always fight to protect.

That leads to me to abortion act.  I agree the name sucks, but it actually will work.  It provides a fraework for prosecutors and judges to actually seek and enforce child support.  I can tell you that such a system works, because judges and prosecutors have discretion in such a system.  some have suggested legislating payment plans.  I would never support that.  Each case is indivdiual and a well informed judge and prosecutor need to be trusted to do what is right. 

If you have any questions, just shoot.  I of course hope that this leads to a series of serious questions, but also that we continue the tradition from "my name is Junkie..." of having several responses in at least 5 different languages.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »

Serious Question: Packers...or Steelers?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 10:03:06 PM »

Packers.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »

Steelers for three reasons:

(1) the packer fans I work with are quite annoying (I have always handled our wins with class at least in my mind -- I even wished them congrats, but have stopped because of the glee they showed in Cutler getting hurt -- I never gloat in a player getting hurt)

(2) I still have not forgiven the Packers for the cheap hit on Jim McMahon that shortened his career (and again on the classy part -- my Packer friends still gloat about that)

(3) Rocky Bleier -- one of my favorite players since I first read about him as a kid.  He made me a Steeler fan.

Long way to say, Go Steelers!  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies