A Deal for Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:22:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A Deal for Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A Deal for Obama  (Read 2835 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »

An intriguing suggestion by David Frum. Too bad that McConnell and the rest of the Republican gang aren't as interested in governing as him.

http://www.frumforum.com/a-deal-for-obama

What if Mitch McConnell promised President Obama an immediate up-or-down vote on any/all executive and judicial nominees in the next 2 years in exchange for extending all the Bush tax cuts for 2 years?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »

An intriguing suggestion by David Frum. Too bad that McConnell and the rest of the Republican gang aren't as interested in governing as him.

http://www.frumforum.com/a-deal-for-obama

What if Mitch McConnell promised President Obama an immediate up-or-down vote on any/all executive and judicial nominees in the next 2 years in exchange for extending all the Bush tax cuts for 2 years?

The Dems have already agreed to a 2 year extention of the highest bracket and a permanent extension for all other brackets, so this "deal" doesn't give the GOP anything they don't already have.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 04:05:18 PM »

Yeah...McConnell has no incentive to offer Obama that deal, though I would take it if I was him.

Aside: A grand total of 8% of all adults favor extending all of the Bush tax cuts. I know that Gallup had a bad day yesterday, but goddamn. This is what happens when more than half of the Senate is millionaires.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/144164/Democrats-Favor-New-Stimulus-Republicans-Healthcare-Repeal.aspx
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »

The first thing one needs to do is learn one can't make deals with the Republicans.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:25:52 PM »

The Dems have already agreed to a 2 year extention of the highest bracket and a permanent extension for all other brackets, so this "deal" doesn't give the GOP anything they don't already have.

Is that the latest rumor at Belevue?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 04:39:48 PM »

Yeah...McConnell has no incentive to offer Obama that deal, though I would take it if I was him.

Aside: A grand total of 8% of all adults favor extending all of the Bush tax cuts. I know that Gallup had a bad day yesterday, but goddamn. This is what happens when more than half of the Senate is millionaires.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/144164/Democrats-Favor-New-Stimulus-Republicans-Healthcare-Repeal.aspx

New economic stimulus is considered a priority by more Americans than other issues and the country elects Republicans.  Amazing.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 04:48:14 PM »

Yeah, that's a terrible deal for the Republicans.

They've blocked a ton of Obama's nominees for the last 2 years and it hasn't hurt them so they have no incentive to do so.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »

The first thing one needs to do is learn one can't make deals with the Republicans.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 09:11:49 PM »

New economic stimulus is considered a priority by more Americans than other issues and the country elects Republicans.  Amazing.

No more spending... smaller government... unless it helps me...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 09:13:32 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 09:14:22 PM »

Yeah, that's a terrible deal for the Republicans.

They've blocked a ton of Obama's nominees for the last 2 years and it hasn't hurt them so they have no incentive to do so.

Remember all their talk about up or down votes when Democrats had blocked like 3 judges? The Democrats never complained about being reamed by the Republicans on judges. The Democrats are weak and deserve to lose.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 09:16:26 PM »

Obama wouldn't take the deal even were it offered in good faith.  He's an ideologue.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 09:19:09 PM »

Obama wouldn't take the deal even were it offered in good faith.  He's an ideologue.

Ha! even if that were the case, it's not like they're not too, lol....
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »

we'll be bumping this in a couple of weeks
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 10:27:37 PM »

I assume that yesterday was opposite day for you.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 10:30:32 PM »

Is that your broken record response to everyone you disagree with?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 11:18:18 PM »

David Frum proves yet again that he's one of the biggest idiots around.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 04:44:18 AM »

As opposed to geniuses like Glenn Beck and Mark Levin.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 10:24:27 AM »

Look, there is a 99% chance that the Bush tax cuts will be made permanent for those under $250k/year, and the tax cuts for those over $250k/year will be extended for 2 years.  Many of the Dem Senators running for reelection in 2012 have already signaled agreement to this.

It's a done deal. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 10:40:15 AM »

Look, there is a 99% chance that the Bush tax cuts will be made permanent for those under $250k/year, and the tax cuts for those over $250k/year will be extended for 2 years.  Many of the Dem Senators running for reelection in 2012 have already signaled agreement to this.

It's a done deal. 

Even if Reid brings such a bill to the floor (highly unlikely), Obama has hinted that he will veto it.
A large majority of voters oppose the millionaires tax cuts, so it would be a good first chance to start differentiating himself from the Republican congress.

And stop impersonating Sam Spade by pretending to know more things than you actually do.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 08:58:06 AM »

we'll be bumping this in a couple of weeks

It's a done deal. 

Even if Reid brings such a bill to the floor (highly unlikely), Obama has hinted that he will veto it.
A large majority of voters oppose the millionaires tax cuts, so it would be a good first chance to start differentiating himself from the Republican congress.

And stop impersonating Sam Spade by pretending to know more things than you actually do.

did I say a couple of weeks?  how about just one?!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/10/white-house-gives-in-on-bush-tax-cuts_n_781992.html

White House Gives In On Bush Tax Cuts

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama's top adviser suggested to The Huffington Post late Wednesday that the administration is ready to accept an across-the-board, temporary continuation of steep Bush-era tax cuts, including those for the wealthiest taxpayers.

That appears to be the only way, said David Axelrod, that middle-class taxpayers can keep their tax cuts, given the legislative and political realities facing Obama in the aftermath of last week's electoral defeat.

"We have to deal with the world as we find it," Axelrod said during an unusually candid and reflective 90-minute interview in his office, steps away from the Oval Office. "The world of what it takes to get this done."

"There are concerns," he added, that Congress will continue to kick the can down the road in the future by passing temporary extensions for the wealthy time and time again. "But I don't want to trade away security for the middle class in order to make that point."

It has been widely assumed that the president would have to accept an across-the-board deal of some kind, but Axelrod's remarks were the first public confirmation of that fact -- and by a figure regarded as closer to Obama than any other White House staffer.

Also dealing "with the world as we find it," Axelrod declined repeatedly to comment on any of the controversial debt-reduction measures suggested by the chairs of the president's own commission -- even those, such as raising the Social Security retirement age, that go against Obama campaign pledges and strike at the heart of Democratic constituencies.

He said that the White House would wait until the commission made its final recommendations on Dec. 1 before adding, "the president's commitments haven't changed."

Story continues below
AdvertisementBy giving ground on taxes and remaining silent on budget suggestions that others, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and AFL-CIO head Richard Trumka, quickly denounced, Axelrod showed the subdued caution of an adviser to a humbled boss.

But the top Obama aide also erected some barriers against newly-emboldened Republicans and their Pentagon allies.

Axelrod said that his boss would veto repeal of his cherished health care law, though he would "work with people" who "have constructive ideas about how to strengthen" it. The veto threat was not unexpected, but it was the first time that a top administration figure had issued such a threat on the record. And in doing so, Axelrod predicted that Republicans would be making a major misstep by challenging the White House's commitment on this front.

"I'm not going to prejudge what they are going to do," Axelrod said of Republican opposition to the legislation. "But I will tell you this -- we are firm in our commitment, we are willing to work with people to improve this plan we are not going to stand for those who want to undermine it and destroy it."

"The notion of spending the next two years fighting over this, I think, is a complete misreading of what the American people want," he added. "They want us to focus on the economy. They don't want us to fight the battles of the last two years. But we are not going to stand by and go back to allowing people with preexisting conditions to be discriminated against, go back to the situation where people can be thrown off their insurance simply because they become seriously ill or you can't get on your parents' insurance after the age of 20. There are so many things that are just central."

Meanwhile, on the war in Afghanistan -- an expensive and increasingly unpopular conflict -- Axelrod pushed back hard against the notion, floated in some recent stories quoting "senior administration sources," that the deadline for beginning troop withdrawals had been pushed back from July 2011 to some time in 2014.

"If it is being sourced to senior administration officials, then someone has bad administration sources," Axelrod said. "There is no change in the president's position. There is no change in that basic commitment."

But there is just such a change on taxes.

Although the president "took the position he felt was the right position" -- favoring a continuation of the cuts only for families earning up to $250,000 -- Axelrod portrayed this "optimal" stance as unrealistic in the lame-duck Congress that begins next week.

For one, time is not on the administration's side. All of the tax cuts, enacted in 2001 and 2003, will expire at the end of this year unless Congress acts. The Republicans in effect "built in tax increases," Axelrod said. And separating out different categories of tax cuts now -- extending some without extending others -- is politically unrealistic and procedurally difficult, he added.

"We don't want that tax increase to go forward for the middle class," he said, which means the administration will have to accept them all for some unspecified period of time. "But plainly, what we can't do is permanently extend these high income taxes."

In other words, the White House won't risk being blamed for raising taxes on the middle class even though, arguably, it is the GOP's refusal to separate the categories that has put Obama in this bind. The only condition, at least initially, seems to be that the tax cuts for the wealthy not be extended "permanently."

A student of history and a onetime political reporter, Axelrod expressed curiosity and even some optimism about the tea party, suggesting that Obama could work with them on matters such as a ban on spending earmarks and on winding down the war in Afghanistan.

If so, Obama would turn the Clinton-era triangulation strategy on its head, reaching out not to the moderates in the other party but to the new breed of conservatives who could bring the ideological arc of Congress full circle.

Can the White House work with them? "It is a fascinating time in our history," he said, "and I don't think anybody really knows. I mean I have watched carefully some of these folks on television. I don't think this is nearly as predictable as people think."

President Obama, in fact, has called every new Republican senator-elect and many of the incoming GOP House members -- "well over 100 calls" in all, said Axelrod.

That's how a shellacked president spends his plane time on a trip to Asia.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 10:57:27 AM »

It is not a very appealing deal is it Sam? 
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 03:38:40 PM »

Obama appears desperate to make a deal which includes permanently extended Bush tax cuts for those families making <250k and extended for two years the tax cuts for those making >250k

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40150244/ns/politics-white_house/

Looks like the GOP might be able to force his Obama into extending the tax cuts for all income brackets.  If no deal is struck in the lame duck session, the GOP will be in the drivers' seat Jan 3 2011 - H.R. 1 will be reserved for extending the tax increases and the Dems can not afford to have the Senate block or Obama to veto the bill.

The GOP needs to go for it all.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 06:34:56 PM »

there is a strange silence permeating this thread
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 07:45:58 PM »

Obama appears desperate to make a deal which includes permanently extended Bush tax cuts for those families making <250k and extended for two years the tax cuts for those making >250k

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40150244/ns/politics-white_house/

Looks like the GOP might be able to force his Obama into extending the tax cuts for all income brackets.  If no deal is struck in the lame duck session, the GOP will be in the drivers' seat Jan 3 2011 - H.R. 1 will be reserved for extending the tax increases and the Dems can not afford to have the Senate block or Obama to veto the bill.

The GOP needs to go for it all.

Something inside of me really wants him to just say "the heck with it" and let ALL of the Bush tax breaks expire, then brag about making tough choices to cut the deficit.  Brag that our tax rates are still among the lowest in the developed world, by a mile.  He needs to attack that taxes always = bad meme head on to create needed ideological daylight between him and the House GOP.  It would also avert any left wing primary challenges in 2012.         
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies