CA: 2010 Initiative General Election Result (Prop 19)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:04:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA: 2010 Initiative General Election Result (Prop 19)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA: 2010 Initiative General Election Result (Prop 19)  (Read 2282 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:09:10 PM »
« edited: November 03, 2010, 05:11:07 PM by realisticidealist »

New Election: 2010 California Initiative General Election Results

Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:30:21 PM »

So the Marijuana producing counties actually voted against? Why does that not surprise me.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:21 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fcBEGjK3cM
bayguy
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 01:29:12 AM »

Anyone have a list of the most pro prop 19 cities?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 01:31:18 AM »

Anyone have a list of the most pro prop 19 cities?

The SOS will put some PDFs up later this year.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 01:41:44 AM »

So the Marijuana producing counties actually voted against? Why does that not surprise me.

Yeah, they didn't want the competition. Disgusting, but what can you do?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 01:52:41 AM »

Too bad that Prop. 19 failed, but on the bright side, it did do better than a $160 million campaign defending a Republican office in a Republican wave year.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:54:09 AM »

Strange map. San Luis Obispo is not the sort of county that would be expected to vote for this when Santa Clara and Los Angeles didn't. Interesting that Yolo (UC Davis) voted against. Mono is also strange, although it's more Democratic than many of the surrounding counties. IIRC, Mono is very male (although that might have been Inyo).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 01:25:30 AM »

My parents and grandparents aside, I can't wait until old people are dead.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 03:05:55 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2010, 03:15:22 AM by sbane »

Strange map. San Luis Obispo is not the sort of county that would be expected to vote for this when Santa Clara and Los Angeles didn't. Interesting that Yolo (UC Davis) voted against. Mono is also strange, although it's more Democratic than many of the surrounding counties. IIRC, Mono is very male (although that might have been Inyo).

Mono voted for it, as well as Alpine. Nothing weird there. I was surprised by Yolo as well, but don't forget it's got some Sacramento suburbia in addition to Davis. And although West Sacramento votes reliably Democrat, it wouldn't surprise me if they handily voted against Prop 19.

The proposition seemed to do bad in places with lots of moderates, as far as I could tell. That to me would explain Santa Clara and Contra Costa. Maybe more Asians voting in Santa Clara could be another reason. Los Angeles was liberal West LA versus the rest of the county, which is basically moderate. San Diego was a bit of a surprise to me, though I should have expected it.

San Luis Obispo makes sense to me. It has those sorts of areas which are both favorable to Republicans and Marijuana legalization. Not too many places like that in California, but most of them are by the coast in Southern California. Helps explain SD as well, and I can't wait to see how it did in Rohrbacher's district.

Edit: I don't know how much of an effect it really had on the final numbers, but it seems like anywhere where Marijuana is almost de facto legal/ medical Marijuana is not under attack, Prop 19 seemed to do bad. It did horribly bad as compared to prop 215 in the bay area, northern coast, Sacramento. On the other in places where there have been crackdowns on dispensaries, such as San Diego......
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 03:19:42 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2010, 03:27:40 AM by phknrocket1k »

Mono voted for it, as well as Alpine. Nothing weird there. I was surprised by Yolo as well, but don't forget it's got some Sacramento suburbia in addition to Davis. And although West Sacramento votes reliably Democrat, it wouldn't surprise me if they handily voted against Prop 19.

The proposition seemed to do bad in places with lots of moderates, as far as I could tell. That to me would explain Santa Clara and Contra Costa. Maybe more Asians voting in Santa Clara could be another reason. Los Angeles was liberal West LA versus the rest of the county, which is basically moderate. San Diego was a bit of a surprise to me, though I should have expected it.

San Luis Obispo makes sense to me. It has those sorts of areas which are both favorable to Republicans and Marijuana legalization. Not too many places like that in California, but most of them are by the coast in Southern California. Helps explain SD as well, and I can't wait to see how it did in Rohrbacher's district.

Edit: I don't know how much of an effect it really had on the final numbers, but it seems like anywhere where Marijuana is almost de facto legal/ medical Marijuana is not under attack, Prop 19 seemed to do bad. It did horribly bad as compared to prop 215 in the bay area, northern coast, Sacramento. On the other in places where there have been crackdowns on dispensaries, such as San Diego......

According to exit polling males aged 18-29 were the strongest supporters.

In terms of race, Asians were the most against, Whites in the middle and Blacks/Hispanics the least against.

In terms of the university factor. Cal Poly SLO is a mostly an engineering and business school, which means its more male oriented than what universities in general are (UC Davis especially). Also its less Asian than UC Davis. So that explains why it would be favorable to the GOP and marijuana legalization.

For San Diego. In terms of individual neighborhoods I could see it passing where the age-sex cohort of males 18-29 are 15%+ and Asians are minimal. Maybe Pacific Beach or Hillcrest. Likely flop in La Jolla or Kearney Mesa. All these areas are Democratic anyway. In terms of other cities in San Diego County that would be friendly to voting Yes would be Oceanside and National City. Likely a flop otherwise (Escondido, Carlsbad, San Marcos, Santee, Vista, Poway). Chula Vista could be a draw.  
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 04:54:25 AM »

SLO and Yolo and Napa are the only weird-looking results on there, though.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »

According to exit polling males aged 18-29 were the strongest supporters.

In terms of race, Asians were the most against, Whites in the middle and Blacks/Hispanics the least against.

In terms of the university factor. Cal Poly SLO is a mostly an engineering and business school, which means its more male oriented than what universities in general are (UC Davis especially). Also its less Asian than UC Davis. So that explains why it would be favorable to the GOP and marijuana legalization.

For San Diego. In terms of individual neighborhoods I could see it passing where the age-sex cohort of males 18-29 are 15%+ and Asians are minimal. Maybe Pacific Beach or Hillcrest. Likely flop in La Jolla or Kearney Mesa. All these areas are Democratic anyway. In terms of other cities in San Diego County that would be friendly to voting Yes would be Oceanside and National City. Likely a flop otherwise (Escondido, Carlsbad, San Marcos, Santee, Vista, Poway). Chula Vista could be a draw. 

I don't think SLO is Republican and pro Marijuana because of the Cal Poly vote. Rather it's got some beach cities that are socially liberal (and they tend to be even more so for Marijuana related issues) but fiscally moderate to conservative. It's also got some inland cities that are pretty Republican, but won't vote against legalization in as high numbers as a ban for gay marriage. I also doubt Cal Poly was more pro legalization than most other colleges in California, including heavily Asian colleges like UC Irvine. Unfortunately the OC register is not publishing precinct maps of Prop 19, so I can't know for sure how it did there.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 03:32:04 PM »

Can anyone explain Imperial County results please? It went huge for Brown and Boxer but gave the highest percentage in the state for NO. It may be the only county in the state where a majority of Brown voters opposed Prop. 19. What gives?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »

Can anyone explain Imperial County results please? It went huge for Brown and Boxer but gave the highest percentage in the state for NO. It may be the only county in the state where a majority of Brown voters opposed Prop. 19. What gives?

Very Hispanic county. Mostly farmland in the desert. There will be plenty of similar results in small Hispanic central valley towns, but not at the county level.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 03:43:23 PM »

Very Latino county. Mostly farmland in the desert.

However, exit polls suggest that there was no gap between whites, blacks, & hispanics on Proposition 19. Of course, they might be dead wrong.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 03:59:16 PM »

However, exit polls suggest that there was no gap between whites, blacks, & hispanics on Proposition 19. Of course, they might be dead wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if Blacks and Whites were slightly more in favor and Latinos slightly more against. But it is true that there wasn't too much of a difference due to race. More ideological and age differences. Another way to explain Imperial county is to note that it probably has few liberals but many moderates and conservatives who voted for Brown.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2010, 07:45:20 PM by Badger »

I wouldn't be surprised if Blacks and Whites were slightly more in favor and Latinos slightly more against. But it is true that there wasn't too much of a difference due to race. More ideological and age differences. Another way to explain Imperial county is to note that it probably has few liberals but many moderates and conservatives who voted for Brown.

And Boxer too, apparantly, but I get the idea. The CA hispanic equivilent of Reagan Democrats? Wink
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »

And Boxer too, apparantly, but I get the idea. The CA hispanic equivilent of Reagan Democrats? Wink

Not a bad way to describe them I suppose. Bush only lost this county by 6 points in 2004 while losing the state by 10 points.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 06:33:40 AM »

No, not really. It's just a Hispanic-majority county. It's the only one in the state where most voters are Hispanic, I think. The results make sense when considering that.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 01:36:30 PM »

No, not really. It's just a Hispanic-majority county. It's the only one in the state where most voters are Hispanic, I think. The results make sense when considering that.

Well, the Republicans do think they can convince Hispanics who live in these sorts of places to vote for them. Almost did in 2004. But then they go and pass SB 1070. Doesn't make any sense.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »

Imperial County also hates gay marriage more than pretty much any other county in the state as well, despite their partisan presidential preference.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »

You have to remember that Hispanics are no more monolithic in their ideological preferences than whites. Rural Hispanics in a place like Imperial County are very different in their political views from urban Hispanics in San Jose or Los Angeles. Thus, for example, Imperial County being strongly in favor of Prop 8 while the Mission District of San Francisco was very strongly in opposition. (I imagine there would be a similar difference on Prop 19, but precinct results are not yet available for it.)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 12:28:17 AM »

Mono County - 13% lead in favor of prop 19, 2% lead to Whitman, 7% lead to Fiorina
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 12:40:56 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2010, 12:44:26 AM by Pacific Justice Mr. Fuzzleton »

Yay, our residents can keep selling for more!!!!!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

(and yes, I know it's not legal here either.  It's much easier to hide pot farms in forests of Evergreen trees)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies