Could Rudy Giuliani be the Tea Party candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:57:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Could Rudy Giuliani be the Tea Party candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Could Rudy Giuliani be the Tea Party candidate?  (Read 2355 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2010, 07:32:02 PM »

According to Ontheissues.org and VoteMatch, he's a "libertarian-leaning conservative".

http://www.issues2000.org/Rudy_Giuliani.htm
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »

No. They don't know the meaning of "libertarian".
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:35:02 PM »

Just because he's pro choice doesn't mean he's a Libertarian. I personally think that "Libertarian" is more than just "Fiscally Conservative, Socially Liberal", I think it involves more of amindset coupled with political positions than just political positions. Take Gary Johnson vs. one of the Rockefeller Republicans (Snowe, Brown, Collins); though they might all be under the banner of "fiscally conservative, socially liberal", there's only one of those four that I would call "Libertarian".
Poundingtherock
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »

Hopefully Rudy is reading this and decides to run.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 07:53:24 PM »

No, because there won't be a Tea Party.  Party was fun while it lasted, too bad it didn't last through election day.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »

No, because there won't be a Tea Party.  Party was fun while it lasted, too bad it didn't last through election day.

What do you base this off of? There's no reason to believe that the Tea Party is finished.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 08:13:50 PM »

What do you base this off of? There's no reason to believe that the Tea Party is finished.

Sharron Angle, Ken Buck, Joe Miller, Christine O'Donnell (to a lesser extent).

Establishment creepazoids overperformed, especially that arch-fascist Marco Rubio, [real] tea partiers were destroyed or way underperformed.  A few snuck in under the radar in the house, but not many.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:24:38 PM »

Sharron Angle, Ken Buck, Joe Miller, Christine O'Donnell (to a lesser extent).

Establishment creepazoids overperformed, especially that arch-fascist Marco Rubio, [real] tea partiers were destroyed or way underperformed.  A few snuck in under the radar in the house, but not many.

The defeats of Angle and Miller were blows to the tea party, but Rand won a decisive victory in Kentucky. But just because their candidates got defeated this time around doesn't mean that they're going away.

Plus Buck wasn't a real tea partier and O'Donnell wasn't a real candidate.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »

But now what's left of the Tea Party will have to "recruit" candidates.  And the candidates they "recruit" will all resemble Marco Rubio or Pat Toomey or Ron Johnson, and therefore won't even be worth a glance.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »

But now what's left of the Tea Party will have to "recruit" candidates.  And the candidates they "recruit" will all resemble Marco Rubio or Pat Toomey or Ron Johnson, and therefore won't even be worth a glance.

Why, those candidates were never tea party recruits to begin with? They only indirectly benefited by default from the enthusiasm of the tea party.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »

Why do you think that the Tea Party can only be confined to Libertarians? From what I know, its central issues are economic stances, such as repeal of Obamacare, and lower taxes. Libertarians and Cosnervatives alike should be able to unify on those things, and who's to say if you disagree outside of that?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »

Why do you think that the Tea Party can only be confined to Libertarians? From what I know, its central issues are economic stances, such as repeal of Obamacare, and lower taxes. Libertarians and Cosnervatives alike should be able to unify on those things, and who's to say if you disagree outside of that?

It depends on whether you are talking about real conservatives or neo"conservatives".
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 08:50:02 PM »

Real conservatives are done for.  Sure, they'll run in primaries, Pat Buchanan will still write the occasional column, they might actually win the occasional primary, or even the occasional race, but they're done for and never coming back.  This year proved it to me.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »

It depends on whether you are talking about real conservatives or neo"conservatives".

Just because I happen to think that America has enemies does not mean I'm not "conservative" enough. Just because I support a strong national defense and believe in protecting the life of the unborn does not mean I'm a "moderate".
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 08:52:48 PM »

Just because I happen to think that America has enemies does not mean I'm not "conservative" enough. Just because I support a strong national defense and believe in protecting the life of the unborn does not mean I'm a "moderate".

It's impossible to be a real conservative and support George W. Bush's policies.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »

It's impossible to be a real conservative and support George W. Bush's policies.

If you're talking about domestic policy (weak on illegal immigration, supported bail outs, huge deficits), I don't.

If you're talking foreign policy, the fact is that there are people who do not like the United States (crazy, right?), and they are willing to murder thousands to bring about their Jihad. How are we to react? Sit on our hands and say we're sorry for offering humanitarian aide and trying to fight the Soviet Union (USSR: reference to 1980's, not now, so don't spin that comment)?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »

If you're talking about domestic policy (weak on illegal immigration, supported bail outs, huge deficits), I don't.

If you're talking foreign policy, the fact is that there are people who do not like the United States (crazy, right?), and they are willing to murder thousands to bring about their Jihad. How are we to react? Sit on our hands and say we're sorry for offering humanitarian aide and trying to fight the Soviet Union (USSR: reference to 1980's, not now, so don't spin that comment)?
The fact is that that is a nonsensical scenario with no basis in reality.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 10:00:56 PM »

Giuliani is pro-choice and historically gay-friendly, making him completely unacceptable to half or more of teabaggers.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 09:07:12 AM »

According to Ontheissues.org and VoteMatch, he's a "libertarian-leaning conservative".

http://www.issues2000.org/Rudy_Giuliani.htm

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »

I'm perfectly fine with the tea party supporting Giuliani over Palin. It would be a step in the right direction.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »

I'm perfectly fine with the tea party supporting Giuliani over Palin. It would be a step in the right direction.

No. Giuliani is the worst candidate, period.
hotpprs
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: 3.83

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 02:21:48 PM »

It's just wishful thinking. People who don't want the Tea Party around, figure if they say it enough, it will come true.
For the Tea Party to "go away" at this point, all the Tea Party candidates that just won would have to stop talking about the Tea Party, and Sarah Palin would just have to stop being on the news all the time. It may be a fad, and go away years from now, but it will definitely be a factor for 2012.

I like Giuliani as a politician, but I don't think he is popular enough with women voters, so I don't think any Tea Party support from him will rejuvenate his chances to be on the 2012 ticket.
Maybe he'll be in line for a cabinet position as a reward for all his GOP campaigning, but that's about it. He didn't have very good results in 2008 and I don't see what would change that in 2012.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 03:06:41 PM »

The idea that there are people that want to destroy the US has no basis in reality?

Why do Libertarians believe that America's only enemies are self made? Is it impossible to accept that there are some radicals out there?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 03:10:39 PM »

The idea that there are people that want to destroy the US has no basis in reality?

Why do Libertarians believe that America's only enemies are self made? Is it impossible to accept that there are some radicals out there?

There are radicals who want to destroy America. They are the neocons themselves.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 03:17:12 PM »

There are plenty of radicals out there. It just so happens that those radicals are fixated on us primarily because of the actions undertaken by the American government.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies