Will the Democrats fillibuster pro-life Supreme Court appointments?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:06:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the Democrats fillibuster pro-life Supreme Court appointments?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should they? Will they?
yes, yes

yes, no

no, yes

no, no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Will the Democrats fillibuster pro-life Supreme Court appointments?  (Read 4681 times)
Sulfur
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2004, 09:18:35 PM »

People who would overturn Roe v. Wade?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 09:32:27 PM »

I support overturning Roe v. Wade (leave it to the states), but it all really depends.  If the judge is far-right, then yes, yes.  If the judge is a moderate, then no, yes.
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 09:54:31 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2004, 09:57:45 PM by Kodratos »

no, yes.

It's wrong to filibuster a judge because he might have differant opinions from those of the Democratic party. If he was radically out of the mainstream then that is another matter entirely.

Post number 666!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 10:30:39 PM »

If he was radically out of the mainstream then that is another matter entirely.

Post number 666!

that's all they filibustered so far, with the possible exception of Estrada, but the problem with him was that he answered very few of the questions he was asked by the committee.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 10:32:17 PM »

They certainly will, I don't know if they should.  I am strongly pro-choice, but I would be willing to leave it to the states to decide.
Sulfur
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 04:00:37 PM »

New Senate Minority Leader is pro-life.
elcorazon

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 04:19:04 PM »

They should filibuster anyone they feel is out of the mainstream and/or is unqualified for the position.  I personally doubt they've got the balls to do it, unless it's truly an extreme choice.

Nevertheless, I voted yes, yes.  I don't think it should be all about abortion however.  One must look at a bigger picture than that.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 04:55:41 PM »

The Republicans will challenge the constitutionality of the "super majority" if they fillibuster. They are hoping to get it to where you only need a simple majority, 51 votes. It is likely to happen.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 07:00:33 PM »

The Republicans will challenge the constitutionality of the "super majority" if they fillibuster. They are hoping to get it to where you only need a simple majority, 51 votes. It is likely to happen.

Nah, they are more likely to use the "Nuclear option" than change the filibuster rule. 

They will raise a challenge that the filibuster is out of order.  All it takes to support that is a straight up or down vote.  It also leads to no permanent change.

Only down side is once the dems regain power they will likely make use of it too.  Sort of a MAD for Senators.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 07:05:11 PM »

Question. Has the fillibuster ever been used to block anything that way ACTUALLY BAD?
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 07:53:12 PM »

Should they--yes.  Will they--probably. In its role of advise and consent, the Senate has a perfect right and obligation to challenge Bush's Court nominees. In fact, I'm counting on them to. As a moderate, I felt more comfortable voting for Bush knowing that he would have a foil in the Democratic minority in the Senate. One could easily turn the argument around and ask, "Knowing that nearly half the country voted for someone other than the President, should he appoint judges that are pro-life when most of the country is not?"
zachman

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 07:55:49 PM »

From a strategic standpoint no. I'd like to see the Democrats give the Republicans this, because the Republicans will lose a lot of their support from Catholics and religous conservatives. The Republicans will soon be faced with a crisis: should they let Roe v. Wade be overturned, or fail to follow through on their pro-life stance. Neither option is as good as the abortion issue has been for the Republicans in the last two elections.

I think Democrats will give a short fillibuster.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 01:11:06 AM »

Nah, they are more likely to use the "Nuclear option" than change the filibuster rule. 

They will raise a challenge that the filibuster is out of order.  All it takes to support that is a straight up or down vote.  It also leads to no permanent change.

Only down side is once the dems regain power they will likely make use of it too.  Sort of a MAD for Senators.

Well, I would hope that Chaffee, Specter, Snowe, Collins, and possibly McCain would vote against this sort of nonsense.  Any others?  By my count that's 50/50 so I guess Cheney could break the tie and ruin the Senate.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 01:44:22 AM »

Well, I would hope that Chaffee, Specter, Snowe, Collins, and possibly McCain would vote against this sort of nonsense.  Any others?  By my count that's 50/50 so I guess Cheney could break the tie and ruin the Senate.

The senate was ruined when Senators became directly elected.
cwelsch

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 01:52:50 AM »

No they shouldn't but yes they will.  The Democrats are the party of abortion, and they have millions of dollars hinging on the support of the various pro-choice PACs.
NHPolitico

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 08:34:57 AM »

None of the appointments will go on record saying they'll overturn it and they'll say that it is settled law.  Bush can get Pryor and Lincoln and Nelson (NE) and maybe Nelson (FL) for starters, I bet, to keep the filibuster threat from Schumer, etc. hollow.  I'd also probably add Salazar, too.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 08:45:40 AM »

Avoid making this an issue for 2006. Take out the whackos though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies