Is anyone getting hit with property tax increases on this board?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:52:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is anyone getting hit with property tax increases on this board?  (Read 1418 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:02:24 PM »

Out here in California property taxes are pretty stable due to Prop 13, but I'm wondering if anyone elsewhere is getting hit with any increases.  In my hometown, voters narrowly failed to pass (it needed two thirds) a property tax increase of 90 dollars per parcel to shore up library funding.  I've read about runaway property tax increases on the east coast over the years, but haven't heard any horror stories lately.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 06:30:26 AM »

Rising property taxes have been a major issue here for the past 8 years.  It will also be a huge thorn in Pawlenty's side when he desperately makes a failed bid to run for the presidency.  When you tout not having raised taxes but have hiked fees up and caused a doubling of property tax rates in real terms all while seeing government services reduced... the fiscal responsibility mantra doesn't fit.

Pawlenty is putting small businesses in rural areas out of business with the massive property tax hikes so he can keep his far right street cred and protect those poor rich souls at the country club in North Oaks and Minnetonka.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »

Constantly. And not just with rate hike. The assessor's office deliberately (there's no other explaination) overvalues property to bring in more money. They said my brother's house was worth $290,000 when a private appraissor valued it at $220,000.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »

yes
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:15:18 PM »

No
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »

Constantly. And not just with rate hike. The assessor's office deliberately (there's no other explaination) overvalues property to bring in more money. They said my brother's house was worth $290,000 when a private appraissor valued it at $220,000.

Don't forget that the "they" is Democrat Cheyenne Johnson.

During his campaign Bill Giannini warned us that this was going on and wanted to put an end to the practice, but alas the voters of Shelby County turned down common sense in August '08.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »

Hell yes.  And this really chaps my ass.  The school district claims that it will be about 24-cent increase per $1,000 valuation.  I wouldn't mind if some of it was going to my son's school, but it's to fund a "laboratory school."  One that was scandalized, no less, about two years ago when some fuzzy math was discovered by state auditors.  It's an odd situation in which the Malcolm Price Lab School, which has been traditionally funded by the taxpayers of the state, is hurting for money and the state has decided to pass their woes along to the city of Cedar Falls.  I wish they'd close it down.  The city's school board superintendent has not yet disputed claims by the state that the city will benefit from the increase.  Everyone I know is up in arms about it, and I assume it will be a major issue in the next school board election, but for two years we'll just have to live with it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 08:39:08 PM »

Don't forget that the "they" is Democrat Cheyenne Johnson.

During his campaign Bill Giannini warned us that this was going on and wanted to put an end to the practice, but alas the voters of Shelby County turned down common sense in August '08.

I'm not concerned with party for the local races. The overvalueing of property is a longstanding local tradition.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »

Okay, so I emailed David Stoakes, the Cedar Falls Schools superintendent with a rather detailed message outlining my objection to the tax increase, and asked him whether I should vent to the city or the state or what.  It was an unusual situation so I wasn't clear.  He wrote me back a couple of days later saying that he was with me, and so was the school board.  He suggested that I make some noise.  I should contact Walt Rogers, my new state rep.  It seems that Dorris Kelley, my outgoing and defeated state rep, along with the city's other state rep, Bob Kressig, and our state senator, Jeff Danielsen, were the ones who initiated all this.  So I wrote Danielsen and Rogers.  I don't expect Danielsen to be sympathetic, but I do expect Rogers to.  He's a fire-breathing, anti-tax zealot to begin with, and I expect he'll be incensed as well about this tax.  Rogers is my neighbor.  Lives about two blocks away and I see him and say howdy from time to time.  I may even go knock on his door and talk about this one in person.  I won't mention to Rogers that I didn't vote for him.

It's not so much the tax that bothers me as much as the fact that this was thrust upon the residents of this school district by the state.  Wherein lies sovereignty?  Whether or not one supports this lab school, don't the voters of this school district get a say in whether they want to bear the burden of a tax?  (A tax that doesn't go toward the education of our children!)  I think the voters will want a say in the matter.

I'll let y'all know what I find out from Rogers.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »

No, my property taxes went down almost 300 dollars. Smiley Nearly 50%.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:59:05 AM »

My rent has not increased in two years, so I'll assume no.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 05:16:33 AM »

No, my property taxes went down almost 300 dollars. Smiley Nearly 50%.

Your house is probably worth about 50,000 dollars eh?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 08:24:16 PM »

sonofabitch.  I finally got a response from rogers.

well, long story short, he seems genuinely concerned and says he promises to bring up my perspective in the first meeting of the legislature that it seems appropriate. 

I'd actually forgotten I emailed him. 
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »

Hey, my town is building a fancy city hall. It is just too demeaning for it to rent space.  Granted the city unlike most, is loaded with money (no poors, and two Costcos and a Mercedes dealer to run up the sales tax revenue), and even Pubbies tend to have the itch to spend. If I had been retired 10 years ago, I would have devoted my attention to killing the idea, and I bet I could have succeeded. I am a pretty skilled agitator. But I was not, so there you go.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »

Hey, my town is building a fancy city hall. It is just too demeaning for it to rent space.  Granted the city unlike most, is loaded with money (no poors, and two Costcos and a Mercedes dealer to run up the sales tax revenue), and even Pubbies tend to have the itch to spend. If I had been retired 10 years ago, I would have devoted my attention to killing the idea, and I bet I could have succeeded. I am a pretty skilled agitator. But I was not, so there you go.

But anything's better, economically speaking, than leaving the dosh in your hands, no?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 06:30:53 PM »

Property taxes here have been flat the past 2 years.  This is because the county has reduced its workforce plus cheaper costs for county activities.

Housing values didn't drop nearly as much as say in Florida or California... and have been on the rise again... so that also has to do with the rate not increasing sharply.

That said.. the school district had not raised it's levy but will raise it the maximum amount this year (they get like $1 million from non-voter approved property tax levies out of a $45 million budget.. so it's hardly a drop in the bucket when they're faced with some pretty big cuts from the state).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies