Lindsey Graham wants Iran war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:51:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Lindsey Graham wants Iran war
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Lindsey Graham wants Iran war  (Read 2429 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2010, 07:53:55 PM »

GOP senator: Consider neutering Iran's 'ability to wage war'

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Expect this to be the new bipartisan project that Barack Obama works on with Congressional Republicans.

Really a shame that this disgusting creature Lindsey Graham has four more years to wreak havoc upon the nation and the world from within the Senate.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:59:25 PM »

Why not? It's not like he is going to fight as long as DADT is implemented.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »

Lindsey!  You know you're still gonna lose your primary, right?  Chill man, take it easy
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:37:27 PM »

Lindsey!  You know you're still gonna lose your primary, right?  Chill man, take it easy

This is a good thing, as it establishes the "moderate" establishment Republicans as the biggest warmongers, and forces the tea parties into an anti-war position.

The only problem is that the primary is four years away, so Graham has plenty of time to actually get his fantasies put into action.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:40:27 PM »

And like every other Republican, he's oh so concerned about the deficit Roll Eyes
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »

Good Og, if this war with Iran every happens EVERYbody is going to scream "I told you so!".
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 10:11:46 PM »

forces the tea parties into an anti-war position.

hahahahahaha
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »

Expect this to be the new bipartisan project that Barack Obama works on with Congressional Republicans.

Really a shame that this disgusting creature Lindsey Graham has four more years to wreak havoc upon the nation and the world from within the Senate.

I really don't understand you.

What makes you think that Iran isn't a threat? You seem to assume that Iran doesn't have some sort of interest in the destruction of Israel/the West. Hasn't Iran's leadership said enough about their intentions?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »

What makes you think that Iran isn't a threat? You seem to assume that Iran doesn't have some sort of interest in the destruction of Israel/the West. Hasn't Iran's leadership said enough about their intentions?

1. They has no interest in the destruction of Israel/the West.
2. They can't destroy Israel/the West.
3. They have no intentions of destroying Israel/the West.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 10:16:57 PM »

Did your mother ever tell you that if another child is teasing you, you should just ignore them?  The same holds true for international relations.  The Iranian government just wants attention, and we're giving it to them in spades.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 10:24:02 PM »

Did your mother ever tell you that if another child is teasing you, you should just ignore them?  The same holds true for international relations.  The Iranian government just wants attention, and we're giving it to them in spades.

1) You make a better argument than Libertas, I'll give you that.
2) I'm not six.
3) 'Twould appear that as of now, they're working on nuclear power/weapons.
4) Bully's son't want just attention, they also want dominance, submittance, a feeling of superiority, and they have no respect for authority (in this case, the UN). And if Iran is reprimanded, they'll brush it off and, like bullies, mock us/the UN openly after us/the UN has walked away. Therefore, it is my conclusion that a permanent solution is needed.
5) I'm not six.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 10:27:51 PM »

Four years is a long time, though I grant that had he been up this year, he would have likely been primaried, which might have given us Senator-elect Greene. Wink  Still, I don't see this as being quite as war-mongering as Libertas does.  He's saying that he thinks things have gone past the point where a surgical strike can stop Iran in its pursuit of the bomb.  If so, then considering other options and whether they are worth the cost is prudent.  Unless we have evidence that Iran is preparing to use the bomb for more than deterrence, then it isn't worth the cost.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »

Iran is not a threat to the United States. Rather, the United States is a threat to Iran, and to world peace.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 10:28:51 PM »

Only if you ignore all evidence to the contrary and the funding of Hamas and the Hezzies.  Ya know, the people who's entire raison d'être is to destroy Israel.
Well no, but they can, if all goes well for them, lay a serious hurting on Israel and could temporarily do some pretty major damage to the West's economies.  And that job would be a lot easier if we stop supporting Israel.
If they could get away with it there is no doubt in my mind that they would.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 10:32:34 PM »

2014 cannot come fast enough. I want to bid nutcase Graham his farewells already.

And furthermore, IRAN is not a threat. Their attention whore leader is a threat, but we can't do anything about him without going into another full-scale war that we won't be able to afford for the next couple centuries.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 01:27:27 AM »

2. They can't destroy Israel/the West.
3. They have no intentions of destroying Israel/the West.

More to the point, why would they want to fire missiles at Israel when they're so incredibly outmatched by their nuclear arsenal? As crazy as a lot of the mullahs are they're not suicidal.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 02:51:50 AM »

Iran is not a threat to the United States. Rather, the United States is a threat to Iran, and to world peace.

No. The Middle East and pretty much all of Africa are the real threats.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 08:40:11 AM »

Why are the only threats us or our allies? Is it impossible to accept in your mind that meybe there are threats to world peace besides the country you live in?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 09:04:34 AM »

Iran wouldn't destroy Israel if it had the chance with no threat of retribution.  It wouldn't destroy the United States either.  The Iranian government is concerned with one thing, and one thing only - staying in power.  Obviously they would have a very low chance of staying in power if they involved themselves in a nuclear war, but even beyond that Israel and the US are foils for the Iranian government at which they direct the people's anger.  Instead of the people being angry at their tyrannical government, which would threaten the regime's power, their anger is redirected at Israel and the US, keeping the regime in power.  If Israel and/or the US went away, the Iranian government would lose power.  The Iranian government has no interest and no intentions of "destroying" either Israel or the US, and if there is a war I will say that it has a 100% chance of being started by Israel or the US.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 09:11:39 AM »

Iran wouldn't destroy Israel if it had the chance with no threat of retribution.  It wouldn't destroy the United States either.  The Iranian government is concerned with one thing, and one thing only - staying in power.  Obviously they would have a very low chance of staying in power if they involved themselves in a nuclear war, but even beyond that Israel and the US are foils for the Iranian government at which they direct the people's anger.  Instead of the people being angry at their tyrannical government, which would threaten the regime's power, their anger is redirected at Israel and the US, keeping the regime in power.  If Israel and/or the US went away, the Iranian government would lose power.  The Iranian government has no interest and no intentions of "destroying" either Israel or the US, and if there is a war I will say that it has a 100% chance of being started by Israel or the US.

Once again, you argue better than Libertas. I'm not convinced, but if I was going to be convinced, it wouldn't be by Libertas.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 09:22:04 AM »

During the period where Iraq really heated up, from 2005-2008, the insurgency began to be trained to make and to use roadside bombs. Someone was training them, and it was traced back to Iran. From what I read, what Iran did (training and suppling the indurgency) counts as technically an act of war. That means that if we were to attack Iran right now, it would have already been justified.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 09:33:33 AM »

They also fund/support known terrorist organizations.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 09:48:47 AM »

During the period where Iraq really heated up, from 2005-2008, the insurgency began to be trained to make and to use roadside bombs. Someone was training them, and it was traced back to Iran. From what I read, what Iran did (training and suppling the indurgency) counts as technically an act of war. That means that if we were to attack Iran right now, it would have already been justified.

They also fund/support known terrorist organizations.

The US shot down an Iranian passenger jet full of innocent people, so I suppose everything they've done since then has already been justified too.  It may also be beneficial to ask yourselves why, exactly, all those "known terrorist organizations" popped up.  Was it for no reason at all?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »

Rather strangely, it's wormyguy's opinion which makes the most sense in this thread.

Only if you ignore all evidence to the contrary and the funding of Hamas and the Hezzies.  Ya know, the people who's entire raison d'être is to destroy Israel.
Well no, but they can, if all goes well for them, lay a serious hurting on Israel and could temporarily do some pretty major damage to the West's economies.  And that job would be a lot easier if we stop supporting Israel.
If they could get away with it there is no doubt in my mind that they would.
They have certainly have a interest in damaging Israel and the West, but destroying Israel is not something that would be beneficial to them (if they survived the nuclear retaliation, of course).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 07:56:25 PM »

The US shot down an Iranian passenger jet full of innocent people, so I suppose everything they've done since then has already been justified too.  It may also be beneficial to ask yourselves why, exactly, all those "known terrorist organizations" popped up.  Was it for no reason at all?
You might have something there if Hamas and the Hezzies were formed after the accidental shoot down of the Iranian airliner.  They "popped up" so various Muslim lead govts could kill Jews and have a little more distance between themselves and the actual murderers.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies