Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2016, 06:01:47 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  Northern Regional Committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Northern Regional Committee  (Read 318 times)
͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔
darthebearnc
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:43:32 am »
Ignore

can we really sustain a bicameral legislature?

I would prefer a unicameral one, but from what I've read in this thread so far it seems most wouldn't.

My ideal legislature would be a single six-member body with three being elected from single-member districts and three being elected at-large. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

several
tēyōllohcuāni
evergreen
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Today at 07:57:39 am »
Ignore

I would prefer a unicameral one, but from what I've read in this thread so far it seems most wouldn't.

My ideal legislature would be a single six-member body with three being elected from single-member districts and three being elected at-large. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
not a fan of even-numbered legislatures, but i could see either a seven-member legislature (four regional, three at-large) with no governor or a five-member legislature (three regional, two at-large) with a governor.

vote tēyōllohcuāni for house & regional committee a real blood-sucking politician
Governor RGN (Fed-NY)
RGN08
YaBB God
Philippines

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Today at 08:00:49 am »
Ignore

Since that this is a fusion of two large regions (most of the NE, half of the ME), I think bicameralism would be a complement to this.
͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔
darthebearnc
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: Today at 08:19:00 am »
Ignore

Evergreen brings up a good point regarding the number of legislators; seven seems fine to me with either four regional and three at-large or three regional and four at-large. I would prefer the latter because districts are really hard to create when you only have fourteen areas to district with and the at-large elections would probably be more interesting with more seats. Or maybe they would be interesting with less seats, I don't really know.

Regarding RGN's idea, I agree that a larger region would probably require a larger total legislature, but we do have to consider that most regional legislatures were basically empty and unused before the merger. I still think a smaller/unicameral legislature size would be preferable, but I'd like to see what everyone has to say first. I also think a unicameral legislature would expedite the legislative process in a very significant manner, while a bicameral legislature would likely slow things down.

The legislative process would probably also be much more effective if we had, say, a Prime Minister in the legislature as opposed to a separate head of government. If you guys wanted, I suppose we could make some sort of nominal head of state position with no real governing power, preferably called "King" so we could have a "King in the North."

several
Governor RGN (Fed-NY)
RGN08
YaBB God
Philippines

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Today at 08:24:21 am »
Ignore

Evergreen brings up a good point regarding the number of legislators; seven seems fine to me with either four regional and three at-large or three regional and four at-large. I would prefer the latter because districts are really hard to create when you only have fourteen areas to district with and the at-large elections would probably be more interesting with more seats. Or maybe they would be interesting with less seats, I don't really know.

Regarding RGN's idea, I agree that a larger region would probably require a larger total legislature, but we do have to consider that most regional legislatures were basically empty and unused before the merger. I still think a smaller/unicameral legislature size would be preferable, but I'd like to see what everyone has to say first. I also think a unicameral legislature would expedite the legislative process in a very significant manner, while a bicameral legislature would likely slow things down.

The legislative process would probably also be much more effective if we had, say, a Prime Minister in the legislature as opposed to a separate head of government. If you guys wanted, I suppose we could make some sort of nominal head of state position with no real governing power, preferably called "King" so we could have a "King in the North."
I was thinking of a three man senate plus five man house of representatives. The bill will originate from the HoR then it will be voted. after that, it will go to the senate for debate and another approval before being sent to the governor's desk
͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔
darthebearnc
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: Today at 08:30:00 am »
Ignore

I was thinking of a three man senate plus five man house of representatives. The bill will originate from the HoR then it will be voted. after that, it will go to the senate for debate and another approval before being sent to the governor's desk

That's a good idea too.

It kind of looks like we skipped the timeline of debate Truman made, though, so I think we should be talking about the Senate elections now.

Sorry Truman Tongue

several
Governor RGN (Fed-NY)
RGN08
YaBB God
Philippines

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Today at 08:39:50 am »
Ignore

That's a good idea too.

It kind of looks like we skipped the timeline of debate Truman made, though, so I think we should be talking about the Senate elections now.

Sorry Truman Tongue
I think we should make districts, just like the one proposed. Three districts. One senator per district then two house seats each for the top two most populous district then one house seat for the least populous district. Hahaha. This is just preliminary discussion I guess
Senator Blair
Blair2015
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Today at 09:21:49 am »
Ignore

I'd really not support having a bicameral chamber- the whole point of the concon was to reduce the number of offices, and make the process much cleaner. The problem with a two chamber system is A.) it's harder to maintain B.) Slows legislation

Governor RGN (Fed-NY)
RGN08
YaBB God
Philippines

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Today at 09:38:32 am »
Ignore

I'd really not support having a bicameral chamber- the whole point of the concon was to reduce the number of offices, and make the process much cleaner. The problem with a two chamber system is A.) it's harder to maintain B.) Slows legislation
It will indeed slow legislation, but it will ensure a thorough review of the bills. If one can say that the regional legislatures are avenues for trivial bills/issues, I think it won't hamper the activity. However, the legislation as I say will slow down a little bit. It won't pose a big problem. If the national government did it, why won't we do it?
͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔
darthebearnc
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: Today at 09:43:57 am »
Ignore

I think the point Blair brings up is good. Considering the nature of the game, I'd say legislative expediency is probably more important than thorough review at this point.

I'd like to reiterate the suggestion of a unicameral seven-member legislature with either three regional and four at-large representatives or four regional and three-at large representatives. One member of the legislature would be elected among his peers as head of government, with a separate public election for nominal head of state also being held.

several
Governor RGN (Fed-NY)
RGN08
YaBB God
Philippines

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Today at 09:50:20 am »
Ignore

I think the point Blair brings up is good. Considering the nature of the game, I'd say legislative expediency is probably more important than thorough review at this point.

I'd like to reiterate the suggestion of a unicameral seven-member legislature with either three regional and four at-large representatives or four regional and three-at large representatives. One member of the legislature would be elected among his peers as head of government, with a separate public election for nominal head of state also being held.
Fast tracking legislations isn't good. although I'm not saying that is similar to the expediency of the legislation. This will ensure that a bill is worthy of passing if it was approved by both chambers. A three man senate and a five man HoR (or even three) will reduce the offices a little bit. If you're talking about seperating the powers of the current governor, the head of government will be picked by a joint session of the two chambers
͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔
darthebearnc
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: Today at 10:07:50 am »
Ignore

Fast tracking legislations isn't good. although I'm not saying that is similar to the expediency of the legislation. This will ensure that a bill is worthy of passing if it was approved by both chambers. A three man senate and a five man HoR (or even three) will reduce the offices a little bit. If you're talking about seperating the powers of the current governor, the head of government will be picked by a joint session of the two chambers

Just looking at what we've seen over the past few years, I sincerely doubt legislative fast tracking will be too much of a problem. If we wanted to introduce a system of checks and balances (which I very much recommend), the head of state could have veto power over passed legislation, though the head of government would still be elected by the legislature.

I'd like to see what the rest of the committee thinks regarding a unicameral vs. bicameral system, but once more, I think Truman said we should get to discussing the Senate elections first.

several
cinyc
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Today at 11:48:00 am »
Ignore

Increasing the number of offices isn't a good idea.  At least one of the old "regions" was taken over by expansion in the number of Nyman offices.  So the supposed increase in regional size isn't as big as it first looks.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout