US House Redistricting: Maryland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:10:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Maryland
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Maryland  (Read 66364 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: October 25, 2011, 09:29:40 PM »

Historical Maryland districts are available here.

Here's MD-03 from the 90s:

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #301 on: October 25, 2011, 10:19:06 PM »

I think the Democrats just made it as ugly as possible so Ehlrich would have nowhere to flee. It  might've backfired on them a bit once he was elected Governor, but they ousted him four years later and still hold it, so I doubt they mind too much.

The fact that Baltimore County has three of the reps when it only has the population for one district and they all live so close is interesting but also largely by accident, MD-01 was obviously not designed to be a Baltimore County district and MD-03 once Cardin left could've just as easily elected someone from Howard County or Annapolis.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #302 on: October 26, 2011, 03:31:09 AM »

Wow, that second district was fairly bizarre already. Who drew that map? Bipartisan incumbent protection gerry (with Morella non-gerrymandered since hers was a special case)?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #303 on: October 26, 2011, 06:50:28 AM »

I believe it was drawn by William Donald Schaefer, who used the map to screw over his political enemies (regardless of party) and give out favors to friends.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #304 on: October 26, 2011, 08:26:11 AM »

I believe it was drawn by William Donald Schaefer, who used the map to screw over his political enemies (regardless of party) and give out favors to friends.

Ah, yeah. What a guy.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #305 on: October 26, 2011, 08:30:21 PM »

The other interesting thing from JohnnyLongtorso's link is that MD-7 in 1990 was 70+% Black, which would obviously not happen with the kind of "unpacking" in vogue today.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #306 on: December 07, 2011, 07:01:30 PM »

DKE has the Obama/McCain numbers on the new districts:

MD-01 - 59.6 McCain, 38.4 Obama
MD-02 - 60.6 Obama, 37.5 McCain
MD-03 - 60.1 Obama, 38.0 McCain
MD-04 - 77.3 Obama, 21.8 McCain
MD-05 - 65.1 Obama, 33.6 McCain
MD-06 - 56.3 Obama, 42.0 McCain
MD-07 - 76.2 Obama, 22.4 McCain
MD-08 - 62.8 Obama, 35.6 McCain
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #307 on: December 07, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »

The other interesting thing from JohnnyLongtorso's link is that MD-7 in 1990 was 70+% Black, which would obviously not happen with the kind of "unpacking" in vogue today.

A good question would be what the breakdown was in 1982.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #308 on: December 08, 2011, 04:22:05 AM »

Does anyone know how the lawsuit is going to overturn the maps? I heard Republicans had a good shot of getting them thrown out.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #309 on: December 08, 2011, 07:51:22 AM »

Does anyone know how the lawsuit is going to overturn the maps? I heard Republicans had a good shot of getting them thrown out.

On what basis?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #310 on: December 08, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »

On what basis?

Presumably Ohio style referendum business.

The referendum petition against an Act or part of an Act passed by the General Assembly, shall be sufficient if signed by three percent of the qualified voters of the State of Maryland, calculated upon the whole number of votes cast for Governor at the last preceding Gubernatorial election, of whom not more than half are residents of Baltimore City, or of any one County. However, any Public Local Law for any one County or the City of Baltimore, shall be referred by the Secretary of State only to the people of the County or City of Baltimore, upon a referendum petition of ten percent of the qualified voters of the County or City of Baltimore, as the case may be, calculated upon the whole number of votes cast respectively for Governor at the last preceding Gubernatorial election.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #311 on: December 08, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »

On what basis?

He asked about a lawsuit...
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #312 on: December 08, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »

On what basis?

Didn't the Democrats pass the maps with 2/3rds?  That would be sufficient to avoid a referendum in Ohio.  I don't know if Maryland's law is the same.  If it is, they have 2/3rds and can just pass the maps again with some minor changes to appease the nth legislator (who would be a Democrat).

The referendum petition against an Act or part of an Act passed by the General Assembly, shall be sufficient if signed by three percent of the qualified voters of the State of Maryland, calculated upon the whole number of votes cast for Governor at the last preceding Gubernatorial election, of whom not more than half are residents of Baltimore City, or of any one County. However, any Public Local Law for any one County or the City of Baltimore, shall be referred by the Secretary of State only to the people of the County or City of Baltimore, upon a referendum petition of ten percent of the qualified voters of the County or City of Baltimore, as the case may be, calculated upon the whole number of votes cast respectively for Governor at the last preceding Gubernatorial election.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #313 on: December 08, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »

BTW, what made MD-2 and MD-3 (marginally) more Democratic?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #314 on: December 08, 2011, 07:49:52 PM »

BTW, what made MD-2 and MD-3 (marginally) more Democratic?

For MD-03, it was really liberal parts of Montgomery County.  For MD-02, the new MD-01 soaked up more McCain voters to the north and east.

They really should have done 60.8% Obama in MD-08 and 58.3% Obama in MD-06, though, given how ugly they made things already!
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #315 on: December 09, 2011, 05:09:49 AM »

On what basis?

Blatant racial gerrymandering so Democrats could pick up Bartlett's district. Census numbers entitled another minority majority district in the state.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #316 on: December 09, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »

It wasn't racial gerrymandering, just standard partisan gerrymandering, drawing another black district isn't possible without actual racial gerrymandering and groups are never "entitled" to a seat under the law.
timothyinMD

« Reply #317 on: December 09, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2011, 03:26:35 PM by timothyinMD »

On what basis?

Blatant racial gerrymandering so Democrats could pick up Bartlett's district. Census numbers entitled another minority majority district in the state.

Maryland's congressional map absolutely should be thrown out, but not because of any racial gerrymandering bull crap.

It should be tossed because it is so egregiously gerrymandered.  Worst map of the whole cycle
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #318 on: December 09, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »

Alas, that sadly is not a legally valid argument. Sad
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #319 on: December 09, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »

On what basis?

Maryland's congressional map absolutely should be thrown out, but not because of any racial gerrymandering bull crap.

It should be tossed because it is so egregiously gerrymandered.  Worst map of the whole cycle

Umm, are you forgetting NC-04 and NC-12?  As far as I can tell, MD doesn't use any touch-point contiguity.  Several of the NC districts do.  NC and OH balance out MD and IL in terms of ugliness (in IL, you could even argue from the Obama numbers that a fair map should have 11-12 Democrats).  Both parties do it when they can.   
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2011, 05:53:53 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2011, 12:29:43 PM by Torie »

On what basis?

And I bet the Dem controlled League of Women Voters is not complaining about the MD map either. They only like to bitch about Pubbie gerrymanders. Tongue
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2011, 08:37:25 PM »

On what basis?

And I bet the Dem controlled League of Women Voters is not complaining about the MD map either. They only like to bitch about Pubbie gerrymanders. Tongue

I can't speak for the League of Women Voters, but a bunch of traditionally Democratic civil rights organizations are parties to the suit to force a 2nd Hispanic opportunity district in Illinois.  That's a pretty strong response to the hypocrisy arguments.
timothyinMD

« Reply #322 on: December 10, 2011, 02:54:29 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2011, 02:56:40 AM by timothyinMD »

On what basis?

Umm, are you forgetting NC-04 and NC-12?  As far as I can tell, MD doesn't use any touch-point contiguity.  Several of the NC districts do.  NC and OH balance out MD and IL in terms of ugliness (in IL, you could even argue from the Obama numbers that a fair map should have 11-12 Democrats).  Both parties do it when they can.    

Democrats created snake-like NC 12

MD doesn't use "touch point contiguity,"  it uses "no point contiguity."   Are you f---ing blind?

Districts 2 and 3. Hello?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #323 on: December 10, 2011, 01:23:10 PM »

On what basis?

Umm, are you forgetting NC-04 and NC-12?  As far as I can tell, MD doesn't use any touch-point contiguity.  Several of the NC districts do.  NC and OH balance out MD and IL in terms of ugliness (in IL, you could even argue from the Obama numbers that a fair map should have 11-12 Democrats).  Both parties do it when they can.    

MD doesn't use "touch point contiguity,"  it uses "no point contiguity."   Are you f---ing blind?

The sad thing is the Dems could have created an quite clean 7-1 map were it not for Ruppersburger and Sarbanes insisting on keeping their inconvenient residences.  Basically, eliminate the snaky arm into Towson for Sarbanes and give him a compact HoCo-Annapolis district instead.
timothyinMD

« Reply #324 on: December 10, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »

On what basis?

The sad thing is the Dems could have created an quite clean 7-1 map were it not for Ruppersburger and Sarbanes insisting on keeping their inconvenient residences.  Basically, eliminate the snaky arm into Towson for Sarbanes and give him a compact HoCo-Annapolis district instead.

The sad thing is that Democrats ripped the state to shreds.

And spare me the outrage over Texas, Ohio and North Carolina.  I have disparaged those maps just as much and posted my clean, much better alternatives to all of those on their respective threads.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies