Red State Stereotype (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:05:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Red State Stereotype (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Red State Stereotype  (Read 13955 times)
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« on: November 16, 2004, 01:07:50 AM »

Am I a red stater? I voted for Bush, so I must be. However, I keep hearing all these stereotypes regarding those in red states who voted for Bush. They usually consist of:

Religious Jesus nuts, uneducated, homophobes, hicks, inbred rednecks and so on.

My question is how do I fit this stereotype?
First, I am a first generation American who lives in Texas and I am a Jew. We vote overwhemingly for democrats. My father is a holocaust survivor form Poznan, Poland and I am originally from Bronx, NY. I received my undergrad degree from Brown University in Economics with concentrations in International Relations. I live in Austin, TX and I'm currently working on my MBA at The University of Texas. Both schools are very liberal schools and Austin is a liberal town. Here I have met my wife and here is where I would like to spend the rest of my life.
Personally, I don't care about gay marriage. Abortion for me is a touchy topic. I despise it, but I don't believe that government has the right to tell a woman what she can do with her body.
I was first eligible to vote in 1976 and I voted for Carter.
I voted for Reagan in 1980 and 1984.
I voted for Bush in 1988 and Clinton in 1996.
I voted for Bush in 2000 and Bush in 2004.
The main reason I didn't vote for Kerry was because he appears to be very friendly with the U.N. and Western Europe. Both seem to be anti-semitic and that scares me. Chirac is a good example. In France and Germany swastikas were spray painted on Jewish headstones in Jewish cemeteries and neither country appeared to be in a hurry to put an end to it. So I'm not impressed with receiving support and "permission" from the U.N. our our "allies". That was one of the main reasons I voted for Bush.

So other then voting Bush, how am I a "red stater"?
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 04:51:01 PM »

The main reason I didn't vote for Kerry was because he appears to be very friendly with the U.N. and Western Europe. Both seem to be anti-semitic and that scares me. Chirac is a good example. In France and Germany swastikas were spray painted on Jewish headstones in Jewish cemeteries and neither country appeared to be in a hurry to put an end to it. So I'm not impressed with receiving support and "permission" from the U.N. our our "allies". That was one of the main reasons I voted for Bush.
That is a very poor main reason to vote for a candidate. It's not like Clinton WASN'T friendly with the U.N....

Have you ever been to France? I am Jewish as well, and I lived in France for three months. I was just there for two weeks this summer. I'm sure you hear a lot about "French anti-semitism" from your conservative buddies, but honestly, it's not that much of a problem. It mostly stems from young Muslim immigrants of North Africa who dislike the large Jewish community in France. The French themselves abhor these acts - but there's really no way to prevent them.

Also, Germany has extremely strict laws against anti-semitism, which is why most of these acts are committed in France. So you're left with... France.

Ooops! I forgot 1992. I voted for Bush.

Cashcow,

Your right about Germany. They do have many laws aimed at preventing anti-semitic crimes. I probably should not have mentioned them, but I still have some hard feelings towards them for what they did to my father and his family. That is something I've been working on all my life. They are building a memorial in Berlin for those victims of the holocaust. So, in hindsight, I should not have been so harsh on the Germans.
   I received the information on the swastikas from CNN and the BBC. Not necessarily my "conservative buddies", and yes it was all in France. I haven't been to France in years, mid-80's, but I just get this feeling that the French government is very anti-Israel. I don't believe the French people as a large collective whole feel this way. I lived in Israel in the early 80's for three years and I wish I could go back and visit but it is too dangerous now, so I guess my views are based on the experience that received there.

Hey Democratic Hawk,

This is off topic, but I need to ask. I was watching a session of Parliament and I noticed that many, maybe all, were wearing a red badge, for lack of a better term, on the left side of their lapels. When Tony Blair was in Washington he had one on as well. Forgive my ignorance, but what does that represent?

TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 06:13:22 PM »

Your right about the change in Germany. They have gone from one extreme form of government to another with regards to East Germany. Like I said, it is something that I have had to work at for years. My father, understandably, still hates Germany. He even refuses to speak German and will scorn me if I speak it around him. I've seen the camps in Germany, so I get emotional when I speak of these things. Cashcow, my regards to you and your family. We may have different political views but we have a common bond.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 07:28:34 PM »

Thanks for all the infomation about Rememberance Day. I'm glad that I know that now. I have always had a since of admiration for the British. I was always a fan of Sir Winston Churchill.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies