Red State Stereotype (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:42:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Red State Stereotype (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Red State Stereotype  (Read 13923 times)
English

« on: November 17, 2004, 04:01:21 PM »

You're being rather unfair about France. Their is a lot of anti-semetism in France, but the culprits aren't French nationals, they're young muslim immigrants from Algeria and Tunisia. Most French Europeans are disgusted by such acts, indeed Chirac has clamped down heavily. He's even banned muslims from wearing headscarves in schools etc!
English

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 05:55:08 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is off topic, but I need to ask. I was watching a session of Parliament and I noticed that many, maybe all, were wearing a red badge, for lack of a better term, on the left side of their lapels. When Tony Blair was in Washington he had one on as well. Forgive my ignorance, but what does that represent?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As Al pointed out it is for Remberance Day/Armistice day/Veterans day/November 11th.  Red poppies are worn to remember those lost in WWI

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe red poppies grew in abundance in the fields of flanders soon after WW1 ended. Something to do with the severe disturbance of the soil and whatnot. Poppies were the first plants to recolonise the area around the trenches. I think that's why poppies are used to remember the dead.
English

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 05:44:10 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe red poppies grew in abundance in the fields of flanders soon after WW1 ended. Something to do with the severe disturbance of the soil and whatnot. Poppies were the first plants to recolonise the area around the trenches. I think that's why poppies are used to remember the dead.

That's it

I thought the Labour party wears some sort of red flower as well?

They do, it's a Red Rose. They used to have the Red Flag, however they ditched it in the early 1980's due to it's links to communism, although back in the 79-83 period the Red Flag was probably more appropriate! Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies