US House Redistricting: Colorado (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:40:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Colorado (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Colorado  (Read 26843 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: April 09, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »

Yes, I think you pretty much nailed it. At least in the Denver area.

Part of the problem I had with this is that nobody wants to be attached to the Denver district and be ~100k forgotten residents. Once you figure out who the unlucky souls are the rest of the map is fairly obvious.

That's why giving North West Aurora to them is the best choice. They are reasonably dem

And fairly minority too.  I assume that counts for something since Colorado still doesn't have a VRA district

Doesn't legally count for anything, since no minority in Colorado passes the Gingles threshold. Not that it won't be considered by the mapmakers, though, if they want to do it for community of interest reasons or what-not.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »

Did the court have to pick one map or the other, rather than drawing its own?  If not, this is pretty shocking that a court would find a map drawn by a party the most appropriate.

I've looked this up; it appears that Colorado courts are allowed to pick between plans OR make a new map entirely, but I think there may be some sort of limit, either statutory or maybe just through precedent, regarding when a judge can throw out existing plans.

Looking at the cases from the last few decades, the only time the CO courts didn't just pick between plans was in 1992, when the State Supreme Court appointed a special master to make a plan when the Democratic Governor kept vetoing the GOP legislature's proposals.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »

That's a really competitive map! (sarcasm) Welcome to Colofornia, looks like I'm moving out of Denver (LA east) in a couple of years. Enough of this crap the state has become.

It's a bit silly to move out of a state just because its congressional delegation isn't what you'd prefer, no?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 02:04:06 PM »

Colorado high court rejects the new map for legislative districts. Back to the drawing boards.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19342272

One would hope this silences conservatives' cries that the Colorado courts are biased towards the Democrats with stuff like this; only two of the five Democratic appointees on the court dissented.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies