US House Redistricting: Colorado (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:14:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Colorado (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Colorado  (Read 26835 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« on: March 05, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »

My first attempt; minimal changes.

I basically pulled CD-4 out of Boulder County, gave CD-7 what I thought were some Dem territories, and left CD-3 the same.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »

Yes, I think you pretty much nailed it. At least in the Denver area.

Part of the problem I had with this is that nobody wants to be attached to the Denver district and be ~100k forgotten residents. Once you figure out who the unlucky souls are the rest of the map is fairly obvious.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »

Yes, I think you pretty much nailed it. At least in the Denver area.

Part of the problem I had with this is that nobody wants to be attached to the Denver district and be ~100k forgotten residents. Once you figure out who the unlucky souls are the rest of the map is fairly obvious.

That's why giving North West Aurora to them is the best choice. They are resonably dem

Yep. Colorado is one state where I'd hope that both sides could come to an agreement; a 3-3-1 plan seems quite reasonable given the last decade of electoral history.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »

Democrats trying to cram CD-5 and CD-6 together. Republicans basically keeping the current map.

http://coloradopols.com/diary/15532/redistricting-dday
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:07:12 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2011, 06:13:15 PM by krazen1211 »

How much of CO-2 is in the Front Range south of Boulder? Is that area populated enough to make the district swingy?

Given how liberal Boulder is, probably not.

This is the equivalent 'compromise' GOP map. I believe it is quite a bit closer to the current map.

Permutter's residence kind of stinks here. Adams probably belongs with Arapahoe while Douglas belongs with Jefferson. Boulder County/2nd district is obviously the problem point between the maps.

The 3rd, 5th, 1st, and 4th look very similar between both maps. The GOP is trying to cede 2 and 7 while claiming 6, while the Democrats seem to want all 3.

http://coloradopols.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=15639

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:43:47 AM »

Yeah, sticking all of Jefferson County into the 7th while taking out Aurora would make it more Republican.

Especially since you're putting most of Douglas county into CO-2, which means that under that map I think CO-7 is actually more Republican than CO-6.  Kind of a weird choice if you ask me.

Good point. I just eyeballed it, saw that it had a bunch of Adams, and wrote it off, but I guess on the GOP map the areas around Boulder are cut out.

I'm honestly surprised they don't just shore up the 4th and 7th and call it a day. On the Dem map it looks like you can draw a very small line through 4 districts right near Highlands Ranch.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 06:18:50 AM »

Here's what I think makes most sense from a court/neutral perspective:

Very GOP favored. And Coffman lives in Highlands Ranch now, so you can't really drawn him out of his district.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 10:08:20 PM »

Unfortunate but not surprising.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »

FWIW, Wasserman is skeptical about how much of a win for the Democrats the adopted map is.

I agree. I don't see it as a terribly great map.

The first Democratic map split Colorado Springs and combined the GOP section with Highlands Ranch. By comparison, this map is not terrible.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »

Colorado redistricting discriminates against women! OMG!

http://www.coloradopeakpolitics.com/

If the Colorado Supreme Court upholds the maps they will be endorsing a destruction of the hard fought gains Republican women have made in legislative representation. They will be, effectively, endorsing the disenfranchisement of conservative women in Colorado.

The maps purposefully put the highest ranking Republican women in the Legislature into the same districts as fellow Republicans, setting up a scenario that could see a significant reduction not only in GOP women legislators, but the seniority of incumbent female legislators.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies