Bush Name No Longer a Hinderance for Jeb?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:43:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Bush Name No Longer a Hinderance for Jeb?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bush Name No Longer a Hinderance for Jeb?  (Read 3173 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 11:21:46 AM »
« edited: December 01, 2010, 11:46:25 AM by pbrower2a »

Even if GWB would increase in popularity, I think Gramps is right.  We're not a monarchy.

Can you think of any other Republican who can win in 2012?  I know the old saying about presidential popularity being the ceiling for voting support, but how did that work out for Harry Reid?  Assuming any Republican wins because Obama will be unpopular doesn't hold water with me.

Mitt Romney - Can't connect with voters and failed in 2008
Tim Pawlenty - Possible, but a real snoozer
Sarah Palin  - Only if all Democrats and Independents die before 2012
Mike Huckabee - He's limited to the Bible belt
Rick Santorum - Is this guy that stupid?
John Bolten - Got milk?
Newt - Too divisive
Haley Barbour - Possible, but he's foghorn leghorn
John Thune - Possible, but tough to win the early primaries
Mitch Daniels - Needs a charisma injection, but possible
Bobby Jindal - Running in 2011 hurts any run in 2012
Chris Christie - Interesting, but has said it ain't happening in 2012
Jon Huntsman - Interesting, but too moderate for some

I know the knock against Jeb is his last name, but the others I mentioned have real problems.  Obama, from my perspective, looks to be in great shape because the field for Republicans is so awful.

Let me introduce you to Iowa. Tongue

South Dakota isn't Iowa.  South Dakota hasn't voted for a Democratic nominee for President in any non-blow-out election since 1916. Iowa voted for Dukakis in 1988.

There have been efforts to "rehabilitate" Dubya and his Administration in an attempt to show his Presidency as a sort of Golden Age of prosperity and political competence.  It might work among the gullible, but America has more than its share of political naifs -- the sorts who blame Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barack Obama for shattering the confidence in the Bush economy. (Never mind that the housing bubble founded upon predatory lending and contradicted by falling real pay was unsustainable!)

If Sarah Palin can put out best sellers, then what does that say about the effectiveness of the Hard Right in pulling the wool over people's eyes?
Whacker77

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »

Jeb basically said this morning on Morning Joe he's not running......

This quote came from US News and World Report today.

"Bush has said he isn't interested in running for president, but close associates say that he hasn't totally ruled a race out, though he first wants to make sure his family is set financially before taking on another political race. Often called the "smart Bush" who's presidential chances seemed to die with the unpopularity of his brother, the former president, public dissatisfaction with Obama has some in the party cheering his candidacy on."

albaleman
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.77, S: -4.52

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 02:43:46 PM »

I think America will be smart enough stay out of the Bushes this time.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 03:34:51 PM »

If it wasn't for the current mess that Dubya left and Obama is being a moderate hero about, the Bushes would have the 3 worst Presidential terms for job growth since Hoover. Enough said.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »

Jeb basically said this morning on Morning Joe he's not running......

This quote came from US News and World Report today.

"Bush has said he isn't interested in running for president, but close associates say that he hasn't totally ruled a race out, though he first wants to make sure his family is set financially before taking on another political race.

Indeed you're right.  Here's the story:

http://politics.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2010/11/30/jeb-bush-says-sarah-palin-is-fantastic
jacob_101

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »

Jeb would be 5 times better than his bumbling brother.  I think by 2012 dislike of the Bush family will drop dramatically from what it is now.  He's also a good debater.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 05:41:09 PM »

Jeb would be 5 times better than his bumbling brother. 

I know!  Look at all the bumbling in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEtU3OEg0KM&feature=related
milhouse24
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »

I've been Promoting Jeb for the past year, gimme some credit!!!

His signs will all say "JEB" (John Ellis Bush) so he will hide the "Bush" name. 

He will win Florida and Ohio.  He will easily win the primary, the liberal media will have a field day but they can screw themselves because the heartland voters will prefer Jeb and his large campaign chest. 

No one will remember Jorge Dubya.  Jeb will win the Latino-Hispanic-Catholic vote.  He will be the first Catholic GOP president. 

Jeb will wait until September to announce because he has the money and can raise it quickly.  The voters will already line up to vote for him in Iowa, NH, and SC.  It is written.
Whacker77

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 12:04:47 PM »

I've been Promoting Jeb for the past year, gimme some credit!!!

His signs will all say "JEB" (John Ellis Bush) so he will hide the "Bush" name. 

He will win Florida and Ohio.  He will easily win the primary, the liberal media will have a field day but they can screw themselves because the heartland voters will prefer Jeb and his large campaign chest. 

No one will remember Jorge Dubya.  Jeb will win the Latino-Hispanic-Catholic vote.  He will be the first Catholic GOP president. 

Jeb will wait until September to announce because he has the money and can raise it quickly.  The voters will already line up to vote for him in Iowa, NH, and SC.  It is written.

I agree with what you have written and I think it's clear Jeb is setting the stage for a run.  He has visibly raised his profile in the last month or so and I don't think it's a coincidence.  Commenting on education and immigration haven't been done haphazardly.  He's doing it for a purpose.  He also knows the map is in his favor thanks to Florida.

US News and World Report said last week Florida associates of Jeb say he has not ruled out a run despite his public pronouncements.  I too agree he will wait to announce, but I think he wants to see how the field shapes out.  If Romney, Gingrich, and Huckabee can't stop Palin and someone like Pence can't catch fire, I think he gets in to prevent the party from being "stuck" with Palin.  Better to make her earn the nomination.  Watching the other flame out in 2011 doesn't do that.

As much as I think Palin is the prohibitive favorite, I think a lot is in flux.  I don't think Huckabee runs.  Mitt looks dead in the water with primary voters.  Gingrich just doesn't seem like a serious choice because of his past problems.  All that argues for Palin in a romp, but maybe she doesn't run.  Who knows how that affects Jeb.  Maybe he gets in right away, or maybe he decides not to run if Palin doesn't run.  He might only like the contrast of himself vs. Palin.

Regardless, I think Jeb wants to be president and waiting could end any hope of that.  Obama is very beatable, and should a Republican win, that pushes Jeb off to 2020.  That's another ten years and he would be in his late 60's.  I think he runs this time as a late entry "white knight" who can heal the divide between the establishment and the Tea Party.  Palin and the others only appeal to a certain portion of either group.
milhouse24
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2010, 02:55:38 PM »

The liberal media hates Dubya Bush so they will jump on JEB unfairly, therefore he will wait to announce, sometime in the summer perhaps. 

Palin may be the nominee because she is telegenic, but the more winners will either be Thune or Barbour in Iowa and SC.  I see Thune stepping aside for Jeb.  Barbour is a commanding presence and he really wants to be president at this time.  He will give Palin a very good fight for the Christian Conservatives.  Thune is more of a VP at this point in his career. 

Basically it will come to Palin vs. Barbour - who wins???

But JEB will beat them all.
Whacker77

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »

I think Palin, regardless of any poll right now, is extremely tough to beat in Iowa.  The caucuses are passion based and that's what Sarah supporters are, passionate.  I think the idea that Thune or Pawlenty could play well in Iowa is not likely.  Gephardt was an Iowan and still lost the caucuses in 2004.  Proximity doesn't seem to be important.

A big win in Iowa catapults Palin towards South Carolina and Haley's probable endorsement.  That all but seals the deal for her and that's what concerns so many Republicans.  It's for this reason, I see Bush as a likely entrant.  If Obama's fortunes improve over the next year or so, look for Jeb to skip and Palin to become the sacrificial Goldwater style lamb.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »

I think Palin, regardless of any poll right now, is extremely tough to beat in Iowa.  The caucuses are passion based and that's what Sarah supporters are, passionate.  I think the idea that Thune or Pawlenty could play well in Iowa is not likely.  Gephardt was an Iowan and still lost the caucuses in 2004.  Proximity doesn't seem to be important.

A big win in Iowa catapults Palin towards South Carolina and Haley's probable endorsement.  That all but seals the deal for her and that's what concerns so many Republicans.  It's for this reason, I see Bush as a likely entrant.  If Obama's fortunes improve over the next year or so, look for Jeb to skip and Palin to become the sacrificial Goldwater style lamb.
Actually, Gephardt was from Missouri, not Iowa.
Whacker77

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 10:45:58 AM »

My mistake on Gephardt.  Knew that didn't sound right.
milhouse24
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 04:54:05 PM »

My mistake on Gephardt.  Knew that didn't sound right.
You meant Vilsack

JEB may announce earlier, if only to prevent Romney, Thune, and a few others from claiming the anti-Palin voters.  It will be interesting if the Christian Conservatives will still vote for a converted Catholic like JEB, but I'm sure Dubya/Rove would convince the Falwells and others to support Jeb.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies