Wednesday, December 7, 2011
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:56:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Wednesday, December 7, 2011
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wednesday, December 7, 2011  (Read 1800 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »

Tomorrow is the 70th Anniversary of the attacks on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.  If you see a World War II veteran in the next few days, please tell him or her thank you for serving this country.

In case you were wondering, that's what my user name is all about.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:27:38 PM »

Amen...always remember

Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »

Horrible day in American history.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 11:43:30 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2011, 11:45:42 PM by Politico »

If you see a World War II veteran in the next few days

It used to be we would see them all of the time. They have become far too scarce these days Sad

In fact, George H.W. Bush is the only one I know who is still alive...

They truly are the Greatest Generation...

On a somewhat unrelated note, there is only one known living veteran of World War I: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_veterans_of_World_War_I
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:28:26 AM »

In fact, George H.W. Bush is the only one I know who is still alive...

Do you literally know George H.W. Bush, or do you just have next-to-no knowledge of famous people?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 01:32:40 AM »

That horrible movie is on the History Channel right now.  What a waste.  How can you spend that much on a WWII movie and end up with such a giant turd?  And it's not like I hate Ben Affleck.  He likes to screw girls in a very uncomfortable place....like the back of a Volkswagen.  2 bonus points for getting the reference.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:34:38 AM »

Tomorrow is the 70th Anniversary of the attacks on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.  If you see a World War II veteran in the next few days, please tell him or her thank you for serving this country.

That's what I mean when I talk about worship of the military. Of course it's right to remember and honor their service during true moments of crisis, as in WWII, but we're supposed to just randomly thank any veteran on the 70th anniversary? What purpose does it serve? If you take something too far it becomes to appear almost artificial. It's a lot like American patriotism (in practice) in general.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You've been focusing on this for several weeks now? Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »

That's what I mean when I talk about worship of the military. Of course it's right to remember and honor their service during true moments of crisis, as in WWII, but we're supposed to just randomly thank any veteran on the 70th anniversary? What purpose does it serve? If you take something too far it becomes to appear almost artificial. It's a lot like American patriotism (in practice) in general.
Indeed.  Like the faded yellow ribbons on SUVs.  Which reminds me of a great song.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »

It's sad how there are fewer and fewer WWII survivors. My Grandfather served in during the war, and was a POW. I miss him dearly, but I feel honored and certainly privilaged to have been able to hear his stories before his passing, and be able to have known someone of quite possibly one of the greatest generations.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 12:49:22 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2011, 12:56:40 PM by For the few survivors »

There's plenty of noteable living ww2 veterans.

Also, the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association is shutting down.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »

"...a day that shall live in infamy!" 

I still can't say that without using that uptight, early 20th-Century, Ivy league fratboy inflection.

My son's school flag was half-masted today.  Glad it was, actually, as I'd pointed out to him over breakfast how it was the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor and he was likely to see flag at half staff today.  Mostly I did it for the benefit of my wife, who is a native of Nanjing and absolutely abhors Japan and all things Japanese.  Not that I encourage bigotry, but there are very few points of politics on which she and I agree, and the hot revenge--although it usually is best served cold--which Uncle Sam bestowed upon the Great Empire of Japan and its people is one of those few points.

Elvis rocks.  Long live the king.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 07:31:01 PM »

Stopped by Legion and VFW... was glad to see several WWII veterans at each

Long live the Greatest Generation!
God Bless America!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 01:40:17 AM »

"...a day that shall live in infamy!" 

I still can't say that without using that uptight, early 20th-Century, Ivy league fratboy inflection.

My son's school flag was half-masted today.  Glad it was, actually, as I'd pointed out to him over breakfast how it was the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor and he was likely to see flag at half staff today.  Mostly I did it for the benefit of my wife, who is a native of Nanjing and absolutely abhors Japan and all things Japanese.  Not that I encourage bigotry, but there are very few points of politics on which she and I agree, and the hot revenge--although it usually is best served cold--which Uncle Sam bestowed upon the Great Empire of Japan and its people is one of those few points.

Elvis rocks.  Long live the king.

"date" not "day"
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 09:42:45 AM »

I was wondering about that as I typed it.  Actually, I was wondering if it should have been will rather than shall, but in any case I expected somebody to come along and save me the trouble of having to look up that quote.  

I probably mess up the Elvis quote as well.  In my mind it's "Ther' oughtta be a memorial here so the people can honor the dead."  (In that magnificent Elvis twang, of course.)  

It's the thought that counts.  Well, that and the dollars he raised for the memorial.

I guess if they could find a non-intrusive way to clean up that oil slick from the years of seepage it would be good too.  Every time I've been there I saw a colorful sheen on the water.  It can't be good for the local ecology.  You'd think they could throw in some enzymes to hasten the cell division of oil-eating bacteria species, like they did in Alaska.  But maybe those microbes also eat the metal hulls of ships so they don't do that.  I'm not sure how that works.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »

Probably the biggest mistake Japan ever made. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »

I was wondering about that as I typed it.  Actually, I was wondering if it should have been will rather than shall, but in any case I expected somebody to come along and save me the trouble of having to look up that quote.  

I probably mess up the Elvis quote as well.  In my mind it's "Ther' oughtta be a memorial here so the people can honor the dead."  (In that magnificent Elvis twang, of course.)  

It's the thought that counts.  Well, that and the dollars he raised for the memorial.

I guess if they could find a non-intrusive way to clean up that oil slick from the years of seepage it would be good too.  Every time I've been there I saw a colorful sheen on the water.  It can't be good for the local ecology.  You'd think they could throw in some enzymes to hasten the cell division of oil-eating bacteria species, like they did in Alaska.  But maybe those microbes also eat the metal hulls of ships so they don't do that.  I'm not sure how that works.

It's "will".  Although, it's also "which" not "that".
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »

FDR's December 8, 1941 speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uCGxk-v-Mc
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »

The legend is that the oil will stop leaking when the last Pearl veteran dies.  The leaking oil has taken on symbolism for many.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »

"Anyone know what happened seventy years ago today? Nobody? Well, Pearl Harbor was attacked."
-My History Teacher on December 6th, 2011
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »

The legend is that the oil will stop leaking when the last Pearl veteran dies.  The leaking oil has taken on symbolism for many.

Ah, didn't know that.  It may at one time have been part of the speech that the 1st class petty officer gives as he guides tourists around.  Last time I was there Elvis figured in pretty heavily in his speech, but not the legend of the leaking oil.  Then again, he had a pretty thick drawl, and for all I know he may have hailed from the general vicinity of Tupelo as well, and was proud to speak of a fellow Son of the Hospitality State.  Glad to know about the oil legend, though.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies