What is considered a 'Safe' popular vote win? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:57:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process
  Polling (Moderator: muon2)
  What is considered a 'Safe' popular vote win? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is considered a 'Safe' popular vote win?  (Read 16801 times)
GOPhound
Rookie

« on: March 19, 2004, 03:26:41 PM »

I was thinking about some of these state polls and how the one to really keep an eye on are the national head-to-head polls.  In almost every election, the popular vote winner has also won the electoral college vote.  I would think that these national polls are a more important indicatior of who will win the election.

We saw in 2000 how Gore won the popular vote by .5% but lost the electoral college by the slimmest of margins.  Going by that, would it be safe to assume that any popular vote victory over .5% would guarantee an electoral victory?  Basically that means that if one candidate won by .5% or more, a majority of the electoral votes from the close states like NM,IA,FL,OH would end up voting for the winner.

I'm not a statistician, but I think the odds of a candidate winning the popular vote by let say 1.5%, yet losing the electoral college would be pretty slim.  Therefore I think I'm going to focus on the national polls, especially those by reputable organizations like Zogby.

GOPhound
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 07:26:42 AM »

I might argue the point on Zogby...

There are several much better polling firms...

Regarding a "safe" margin...

In 2000, if Gore had 1% more popular vote in every state (and Bush 1% less) the electoral college would have been. 296/242 for Gore.

A shift of 1.0% for Bush would have made it 327/211 for Bush

A shift of 3% for Gore would have made it also 327/211 - except this time for Gore

A shift of 3% towards Bush would have made it 366/172 for Bush

a gap of 3% or more it is almost inconcievable that the EV and popular vote would  not agree

Didn't Zogby come closet in the past 2 presidential elections?  I visited his site during the Dem primaries and he basically seemed to nail those too, with a few exceptions.  Which firms would you consider better?

So going by what you say, a Gore PV win of 1.5% would have given him a 296-242 win in the EV?  It would seem to me, just based on intuition, that it would be extremely unlikely for someone to win the PV by over 2% yet lose the EV.  From 1-2%, I think with the right combination of states, it is possible but not probable.  Under 1% it's quite probable.

I have a feeling that in both the EV and PV this election isn't going to be as close as 2000.  The problem is I'm just not sure who's going to be ahead.  

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies