Free trade, western farmers and Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:49:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Free trade, western farmers and Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Free trade, western farmers and Republicans  (Read 1026 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2010, 10:54:28 AM »

One thing which has always kind of confused me is the long-standing support for Republicans in the Plain States; notably NE, KS or the Dakotas.

Where I'm coming from is that I've always thought of farmers as supportive of free trade and low tariffs to sell their produce. In Canada, in the 20s and before, western farmers usually supported free trade and voted for pro-free trade parties like the Liberals and Progressives. In the US, with notable exceptions, it seems that farmers traditionally supported the Republicans, which were protectionist and pro-tariff (and the party of the industrialist interests). Why did farmers, who I would think would support free trade and low tariffs, support the GOP?

Is/was American farming more protectionist and/or different economically from Canadian farming?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »

Is it anything to do with a lack of large metro areas? I mean, as we all should know, Omaha voted for Obama.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 04:53:01 PM »

In general Republicans are more free trade than the Dems. There is serious overlap, but, in general, Unions are the Dem electorate.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 04:57:30 PM »

In general Republicans are more free trade than the Dems. There is serious overlap, but, in general, Unions are the Dem electorate.

I think he means historically.

Anyway there were pro free trade farmers in the South and it may likely have had to do with the particular crops they harvested.

The South easily had a comparative advantage over any Western country in cotton etc and since the South has a long coastline it is easy to export.

The food grown in the plains states were likely used for domestic consumption since they are too far from any port to keep transport costs low.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 07:08:33 PM »

It's actually the Canadian farmers who were unusual. Agriculture and Protection were closely associated in most white countries/dominions/etc at that point. I suspect that Rocket has given you the answer though; farmers in Western Canada shipped out vast quantities of wheat at a lower price than British farmers could compete with (and, actually, at a quality far higher than most British farms were biologically capable of producing). Farmers in the American West were not in nearly so fortunate a position.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »

It should also be noted that the solid Republican west is a fairly recent phenomenon. Bryant, Wilson and Truman all did great in that region and it was perhaps during an era where trade issues and such were more prominent?

The gold standard battles were certainly farmers v industry to a great extent.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies