GOP down to one member in Hawaii Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:51:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP down to one member in Hawaii Senate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GOP down to one member in Hawaii Senate  (Read 2473 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 04:19:47 PM »

I think one of the questions of this all, is why the hell is Hawaii so Democratic and liberal. I mean given it's Demographics, geography etc. I figure it would at least be a swing state?

Lots of Asians, and the whites who live there are demographically liberal.
Dgov
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 11:49:24 PM »

I think one of the questions of this all, is why the hell is Hawaii so Democratic and liberal. I mean given it's Demographics, geography etc. I figure it would at least be a swing state?

It was a Staunch Republican state (back when Alaska was a Staunch Democratic state), but basically followed the Same path as the rest of the West Coast over the last few decades.

Demographically, Oregon and Washington should be swing states.  However they have considerably more Liberal Whites than the rest of the country, and so are not.
Nichlemn

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 12:15:26 AM »

It was a Staunch Republican state (back when Alaska was a Staunch Democratic state), but basically followed the Same path as the rest of the West Coast over the last few decades.

Demographically, Oregon and Washington should be swing states.  However they have considerably more Liberal Whites than the rest of the country, and so are not.

No, not really, both started out as swing states (see the 1960 Presidential election in which both states were very close).
Nichlemn

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 12:17:16 AM »

This begs the questions: why are Asians so Democratic? They didn't use to be (see the 1992 Presidential election in which Bush won a majority of Asians). How much of it is due to changes in the GOP (more anti-immigrant, Southern conservative) and how much of it is due to changes in Asians (new immigrants, new generations that don't remember the Japanese internment)?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »

This begs the questions: why are Asians so Democratic? They didn't use to be (see the 1992 Presidential election in which Bush won a majority of Asians). How much of it is due to changes in the GOP (more anti-immigrant, Southern conservative) and how much of it is due to changes in Asians (new immigrants, new generations that don't remember the Japanese internment)?

1. End of Communism as a serious threat, and also changing generations.
2. Change in the Republican Party to prefer social conservatism.

Japanese internment hasn't had a political influence in many decades; Japanese have been the most Democratic Asian group since at least the 1970s (partially because they were the only Asian group to come to the US at that time who didn't have a relationship to communism).
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »

That raises an interesting question. Was internment ever seen as a partisan issue among Asian-Americans in the west after the war?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies