Petreaus defeats Obama 52-48
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:48:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Petreaus defeats Obama 52-48
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Petreaus defeats Obama 52-48  (Read 866 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/David-Petreaus-newsmax-poll/2010/11/08/id/376397?s=al&promo_code=B120-1

General Petreaus: 52%
President Obama: 48%
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:13:12 PM »

No undecideds?

lol
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »

...and is Petreaus running?

No? move on...

Generals ALWAYS do well in hypothetical match-ups, even against popular presidents.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 05:58:41 PM »

NewsMax -- no credibility on its own.

American history typically shows that generals win their wars before winning an election following the term of the last President under whom he serves during a war.  Petraeus 2016 makes far more sense.

Hardly anyone knows the strengths or weaknesses of General Petraeus, but we generally know the strengths and weaknesses of Barack Obama.  It's the unknown against the known.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 07:28:10 PM »

If Obama is only losing by four points to the nation's most popular general, I'd consider that a good sign for his reelection prospects.
Whacker77

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 07:49:45 PM »

Sadly for my party, Patreaus is a better option than any of the announced duds and I don't even know what he believes.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »

I find it surprising that there are no undecideds.

But Petreaus would indeed be a good choice for the GOP. Too bad he isn't going to run.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 09:12:38 PM »

Sadly for my party, Patreaus is a better option than any of the announced duds and I don't even know what he believes.
I find it surprising that there are no undecideds.

But Petreaus would indeed be a good choice for the GOP. Too bad he isn't going to run.

The transition from soldier to politician isn't an easy one. One can learn much from military life for use in civilian life, but much that one learns has to be tested for relevance.

Dwight Eisenhower did not run against Harry Truman. He chose to wait until Truman was intensely unpopular and wasn't running.  He chose to pick his political battle, running for the Presidency when it had an open seat -- which it will have in 2016 if  Barack Obama is re-elected. Should Barack Obama be re-elected, any Democrat will be much weaker than he was in 2012 -- in 2016. 

Since 1900, eight of thirteen incumbents running for re-election have been re-elected. 2016 offers better odds.  As a military man, he might not be as much an ideologue as most of the GOP  (or really, Democrats) is today. Not being an ideologue might be a virtue in 2016 if the Democrats are seen likely to hold both Houses of Congress. Split government has its virtues. He could get away with being the definitive moderate after moderates have been largely swept from the political scene.

Not being a partisan hack and not having overt ties to the special interests that now own the GOP could make him seem fresh -- and useful -- in American politics.  American political life has been casting off moderates in recent years; that could change when Americans want something other than canned ideology and pervasive shrillness.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 08:35:41 AM »

Generals ALWAYS do well in hypothetical match-ups, even against popular presidents.

Well, I remember some matchups with Wesley Clark, for example.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 09:15:05 AM »

PetrEAus and PAtraeus will soon become as famous as GUIliani or KB HutchiNson.

The historical influence of Dubya may well be far bigger than initially thought !
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies