Andrew Jackson Commeration Dinner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:25:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Andrew Jackson Commeration Dinner
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Andrew Jackson Commeration Dinner  (Read 407 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2004, 10:06:45 PM »

I don't run my own newspaper, mostly because I would never be able to be bothered to report election results, or basically anything that didn't involve me, so most of the time I just submit any comments about how Ernest is a secessionist traitor to Private Eye and let Al put it in with the other stuff he prints. This however is not the sort of thing that the Eye prints, so I'm going to give it in the form of a speech. This may be considered to be my first public speech since the nullification crisis and as Attorney General. I might do more if I feel the need arises.

------------

Venue: Annual President Jackson Commeration Dinner
Keynote Speaker: Peter Bell, Attorney General

Good Evening,

The subject of my speech is rather topical this evening: our federal Union has recently suffered something of a crisis thanks to the ruling of the Supreme Court in Fritz v. Ernest. I do not wish to rehash the arguments that lead to decision this evening, but instead will discuss the response by the government and our citizens to it. They have shown amazing resolve in fighting to preserve our glorious Union and its strength has once again been demonstrated in our will to preserve it. The Senate quickly passed two amendments I submitted to them for their attention, and I thank them for that; These amendments are passing by wide margins according to early indications and they are the first step in repairing the Constitution so that once again the Senate is able to exercise its rightful legislative functions. The Senate is moving forward with the amendment procedure to enumerate the Senate powers and as soon as this is complete, hopefully Constitutional order will be restored.

This crisis came about as a result of Ernest's nullification of the Death Penalty Abolition Act, and whilst obviously President Jackson would have condemned any South Carolinan trying to nullify federal laws, and whilst his belief in regional rights is one I do not share, he is without doubt the finest legal mind in the forum and will undoubtedly one day take his rightful place on the Supreme Court. Whilst on the on the subject of the Supreme Court, it is clear that the Court is now condemned to days of mediocrity having lost its original giant of Migrendel and is now condemned to a pairing that can only be described as the absent Justice and the lawless Justice.

Justice Demrepdan is rarely active on the forums and if the Federal Activity Act was still in force he would have actually lost his seat by now; This is actually not a problem though since the Supreme Court rarely has to hear cases, it is however sad to see so little of a former prominent member of the Court. Justice King on the other hand is nigh on atrocious: His persistent desire to interfere in the legislative process is astounding and consistent attempts to decide what the rules of the Senate are meant to mean without a case before him is even worse. Through his actions he has demonstrated a prejudice that is unparalleled in the judicial world - he makes up his mind before cases are even brought, without knowing the particulars of a case that might be brought and then argues the toss about points of law in the Senate. In arguing these points of law he shows himself to lack any deep understanding of either Common Law or our Constitution and therefore one must ask if he is really fit for judicial service. Fortunately, his prejudicial actions mean he will have to recuse himself on any cases of this sort that come before the court, so we are safe for now. If there is something that an otherwise distinguished Vice President will be remembered for, it is his appoinment of this Justice to the Court.

I will leave the Hall with a light-hearted thought: Earlier this week a member of my staff asked me how I would have reacted had the nullificiation crisis deepened further. My thoughts instantly turned to the words of President Jackson when he was similarly asked what he would have done with Calhoun and the other nullifers if they persisted in their instransigence. "Hung them, sir, as high as Haman" was the immediate reply. "Posterity would have considered it the greatest act of my life."
*Peter smiles wryly*
I couldn't agree more.

Good Night and May Dave Bless Our Forum
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 10:24:53 PM »

Government bastard Smiley
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 10:29:34 PM »

Good speech.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 10:39:01 PM »

Sorry Peter. After being an Interim Senator for a few months, I kind of got used to submitting my own opinion ahead of time. I will try to keep an open mind from now on.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 11:21:54 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2004, 09:28:05 AM by SE Gov. Ernest »

I appreciate the kind words of the Attorney General concerning my future, and while they may prove true, I have no intention of doing so at any time soon.  Even once the current constitutional crisis is resolved, there is still much that I hope to accomplish as Governor should the people of the Southeast see fit to retain me in that office.  As for his quote of Jackson that concluded his remarks, I think that the quote of Calhoun's response to Jackson in a different situation that is presently in my signature is the most approporiate reply I can make.

“The Union, next to our liberty, most dear.”
John Kramer Calhoun
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 08:20:34 AM »

*Averts eyes from image of nullifying secessionist traitor*

I pretty much thought that would be your response, but hopefully the time will one day come when you feel your work to secede* the Southeast is complete and then you will be able to help secede* the other regions of the Forum on the Supreme Court.

* Unfortunately in producing this statement a typographical error was made on the part of the Office of the Attorney General that replaced the word "improve" with "secede". This may have lead to a regrettable change in the interpretation of how commited to our federal Union the SE Governor is and we regret any confusion caused.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies