NE 1: Safe Walking Act - Defeated
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:17:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE 1: Safe Walking Act - Defeated
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE 1: Safe Walking Act - Defeated  (Read 829 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:23:07 PM »
« edited: August 15, 2012, 11:10:15 PM by OBAMA = NIXON II »

SAFE WALKING ACT

In order to decrease incidents of accidents, injury, and death caused by people walking while paying attention to electronic instruments, i.e. texting and reading on smart phones and tablets, known as distracted walking, such practices that distract people from paying attention to what is going on around them shall be prohibited by law.

The fines for being convicted of distracted walking shall be first offence $50.00, 2nd offence $100.00, 3rd offence $200.00.    

Sponsor:  Winfield

Debate time:  72 hours
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »

Since I am the sponsor of this bill, I will start off debate. 

We are all familiar with the dangers of distracted driving.  But with the ever increasing usage of technological devices, this has become a safety issue and a problem with pedestrians as well.

Statistics show an increasing number of injuries due to distracted walking amongst the population. 

I believe it is imperative that this trend is reversed for the safety of our citizens.  That is the purpose of this bill.   

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/07/distracted-walking-handhelds-send-more-and-more-to-emergency-room/

One woman walked off a pier while texting.  Another strolled into a water fountain.  Americans continue to flirt with death as their love affair with smartphones and other electronic devices flourishes, a government agency says.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 1,150 people — a number that has quadrupled in the last seven years — were treated in emergency rooms last year after accidents with handhelds.

“I think people aren’t quite aware of how dangerous distracted walking can be,” Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency room physician at New York’s Lenox Hill Hospital, told ABC News today. “Keeping your head down while walking and not looking ahead of you can lead to a significant incident of injuries.”

There are some interesting statistics in this article.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1234043--distracted-walking-causing-more-pain-at-a-hospital-near-you

On city streets, in suburban parking lots and in shopping centres, there is usually someone strolling while talking on a phone, texting with his head down, listening to music or playing a video game. The problem isn’t as widely discussed as distracted driving, but the danger is real.

Reports of injuries to distracted walkers treated at hospital emergency rooms in the U.S. have more than quadrupled in the past seven years and are almost certainly underreported. There has been a spike in pedestrians killed and injured in traffic accidents, but there is no reliable data on how many were distracted by electronics.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »

Isn't the injury punishment enough? I'm inclined to vote nay on this, for the same reason as on your other proposal, Mr. Speaker.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »

So that means I won't be able to listen to my iPod when I go jogging, anymore?  Dang. Sad
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 11:38:42 PM »

I can't support this bill. Way too much government overreach. The people will not stand for it.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 08:03:19 AM »

This bill addresses a legitimate problem, but outlawing "distracted walking" seems too draconian a solution to me.

It is a legitimate problem, I admit.  However, I doubt I can support this bill even if amended.  As mondale has already mentioned, the first word that comes to mind, is overreach.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »

Debate has now ended.

Voting is now open on this bill.

Voting will last for the next 24 hours or until all members have voted.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 07:29:43 PM »

Aye
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 07:37:01 PM »