Senate candidacy announcement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:43:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate candidacy announcement
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate candidacy announcement  (Read 770 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2004, 05:07:33 PM »

After much thought and consideration, I've decided to throw my hat into the ring and declare my candidacy for Senate seat 5B.

I look forward to a good campaign with StevenNick and any others who may come along later. Smiley

I'll take any questions here.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 05:15:41 PM »

Good luck!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 05:19:41 PM »

Excellent :-)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 05:44:31 PM »

Thank you. Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 07:46:17 PM »

Gabu, I really hope you win, although it all depends on the re-districting.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 09:44:46 PM »

Good luck, I endorse you Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 11:07:30 PM »

Gabu, I really hope you win, although it all depends on the re-districting.

Sort of; I haven't seen any redistricting plans that would dramatically alter the setup, though I suppose plans K and K1 might.

On another note, nobody has any questions?  C'mon, you know you want to interrogate someone. Smiley
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 11:17:44 PM »

Under Plan K, D5 gains IA and MO and loses ND and NM.
Under Plan K1, D5 gains MN and loses NM.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 04:16:49 AM »

Go Gabu!
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 06:50:48 AM »

Gabu, what is your opinion on missile defense?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 03:19:59 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2004, 03:25:19 PM by Gabu »

I'm currently undecided on this issue.  Obviously, it would be good to be able not to die if another nation launched a nuclear missile at us, and due to that the idea certainly has merit.

However, the main reason that the Cold War was able to end without any large-scale conflicts with massive casualties equalling or even exceeding those of World War II was because of the concept of MAD: mutually assured destruction.  If anyone launched a nuclear missile, everyone would die, so nobody did.  With a missile defense system, however, it would be possible not to have MAD in a nuclear war, which could lead to the use of nuclear weapons against another nation for the purposes of conquest or any number of other things, which could lead to all sorts of tragic consequences.

Of course, if every nation had a missile defense system, this would nullify this effect, but currently I don't know of any other nation planning such a thing.

I have also heard some news articles of people testifying that the defense system is largely ineffectual and costly, although I'm not sure regarding the reliability of such testimony.

As it currently stands, I would say to leave everything as it is.  If we find out that another nation has started to build a missile defense system, then I would say that we should build our own, but I feel that having a missile defense system at the current time could disrupt the balance that resulted from the Cold War, and I feel that that problem would outweigh the potential benefits of a missile defense system at this time.

This isn't set in stone, however.  If someone could prove to me that its benefits outweighed the potential risks stated above, then I could support it.  I simply have not seen proof of this yet.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 03:31:44 PM »

I'm currently undecided on this issue.  Obviously, it would be good to be able not to die if another nation launched a nuclear missile at us, and due to that the idea certainly has merit.

However, the main reason that the Cold War was able to end without any large-scale conflicts with massive casualties equalling or even exceeding those of World War II was because of the concept of MAD: mutually assured destruction.  If anyone launched a nuclear missile, everyone would die, so nobody did.  With a missile defense system, however, it would be possible not to have MAD in a nuclear war, which could lead to the use of nuclear weapons against another nation for the purposes of conquest or any number of other things, which could lead to all sorts of tragic consequences.

Of course, if every nation had a missile defense system, this would nullify this effect, but currently I don't know of any other nation planning such a thing.

I have also heard some news articles of people testifying that the defense system is largely ineffectual and costly, although I'm not sure regarding the reliability of such testimony.

As it currently stands, I would say to leave everything as it is.  If we find out that another nation has started to build a missile defense system, then I would say that we should build our own, but I feel that having a missile defense system at the current time could disrupt the balance that resulted from the Cold War, and I feel that that problem would outweigh the potential benefits of a missile defense system at this time.

This isn't set in stone, however.  If someone could prove to me that its benefits outweighed the potential risks stated above, then I could support it.  I simply have not seen proof of this yet.

Good position.

Siege
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 08:50:54 PM »

Best of luck Gabu
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length