Doctor Who Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:55:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Doctor Who Thread  (Read 32276 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2011, 11:20:11 AM »

Sorry, I'll clarify: The Shadow Line is slow and boring. Nowt wrong with slow. Plenty wrong with boring.

It's not boring, it's art, you philistine. Tongue

Though you could easily play a drinking game based around spotting the Godfather references.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »

Ok, so I'll have to avoid reading this thread for almost one year... Grin
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »

River is actually the Master.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2011, 12:53:29 PM »

River is actually the Master.
'

No, she's the Rani in a Paul McGann costume. Cheesy
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »

Sorry, I'll clarify: The Shadow Line is slow and boring. Nowt wrong with slow. Plenty wrong with boring.

Though you could easily play a drinking game based around spotting the Godfather references.

I couldn't - I've never seen The Godfather...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »

Really? Now that does come as a surprise; but if at any point you decide to watch any of them (even if only for the sake of it), I would strongly recommend missing the last of the three. Everyone says its bad, but it's actually much worse than that.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »

Really? Now that does come as a surprise; but if at any point you decide to watch any of them (even if only for the sake of it), I would strongly recommend missing the last of the three. Everyone says its bad, but it's actually much worse than that.

Do they? It has a rating of 7.6/10 on IMDb, and a 68% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2011, 07:16:44 PM »

Well, I found out you can do a sort of six degrees of separation to connect Jerry Brown with Doctor Who. Smiley

Jerry Brown had his gubernatorial portrait painted by Don Bachardy, who was in a relationship with Christopher Isherwood for thirty three years. The BBC aired a biography-type drama a few months ago, titled Christopher and His Kind, with Matt Smith playing Christopher Isherwood. Matt Smith, of course, plays the eleventh doctor in Doctor Who. Smiley

Well, more like five degrees, but good enough. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2011, 02:37:32 AM »

BTW, forgot to say I've also fallen in love with the show's soundtrack. Murray Gold is really a great artist.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2011, 03:52:29 PM »

BTW, forgot to say I've also fallen in love with the show's soundtrack. Murray Gold is really a great artist.

I totally agree; the CDs are available to buy on good online stockists.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2011, 06:24:02 PM »

Right Smiley

Two episodes in to the return of Series 6. Thoughts?

I am really enjoying this. What I am also enjoying is retreading old ground.

Who knew for example, that 'The Silence' big grey aliens appeared in the last series; their mechanical purr was heard, followed by a period of shock then bemusement. Or last weeks episode; '32 minutes', Always '32 minutes'; The Doctors Death we know is at 5.02, the invitations received in the first episode were to meet at 4.30 - 32 minutes before.

Good fun Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2011, 06:43:08 PM »

Having watched the newer stuff some more, I realized something; I just don't like Moffat. It seems that anything resembling seriousness (or logical continuity) has gone out the window.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2011, 06:51:48 PM »

Right Smiley

Two episodes in to the return of Series 6. Thoughts?

So far, so good; very much at the upper end of potential for television with a dual appeal to children and the rest of us (obviously its no Box of Delights, but then what is?), hoping it stays that way.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2011, 09:16:58 AM »

Let's Kill Hitler was okay, but the episode after it was crap (which, since it was written by Mark Gatiss, is no surprise).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »

I'll need to dig out the YouTube clip, but there are two definites (the 'look' and the 'purr' are in both) the first is when a figure walks in front of Amy in the Beast Below, the second in The Lodger when Amy is in the TARDIS.

There are also some who say (and I can't quite dismiss it after hearing it myself) that the voice of Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor is heard in one of the distress cubes in this years The Doctor's Wife

Moffat has been setting the scene for a few years now; it wouldn't suprise me if he's planting ideas/clues for next series or the 50th Anniversary. He also says there is something blindingly obvious but very relevant in the first 11th Doctor episode, The Eleventh Hour that we are all missing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2011, 05:44:15 PM »

The Girl Who Waited

Another corker. Wonderful 'old' style story focusing on Amy and Rory. One of the best this series.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »

Yeah, that was good. Very much in the tradition of the better sort of British sci-fi telly (that is, dark and surreal). Nice to see no pulling of punches or lazy happy endings.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »

So, The God Complex

Again another good episode, this time dealing in an interesting way with faith and belief with the Doctor questioning the nature of himself; whether he saves or in fact destroys. Probably my favourite this series.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2011, 06:42:20 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2011, 06:44:01 PM by Sibboleth »

Aesthetically pleasing (a 1980s hotel as a form of prison; lol), well acted and generally well done in general. Bit of a major plot hole lurking around there (if you extend the concept of 'faith' to include any strong/guiding belief in anything - as was explicitly done - then in no plausible universe will you find anyone lacking in any. I should note that I'm not entirely sure if it's a good idea to do that) but entirely forgivable, oddly enough. I do like how the show deals with issues like that (and, bluntly, on other issues, quite different, as well) in a more mature way than it did under it's previous overlord.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »

Oh, and on a slightly more highbrow level, I did like the use of the Minotaur myth. When that kind of thing is placed in a sci-fi context it usually ends pretty badly, but it worked quite well in this case.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2011, 08:57:06 PM »

The past two episodes have been quite good, really.  Both have shown the fallacy of the Doctor as a hero, and have really brought out the performances in both of the (former) companions.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »

So yeah; Closing Time

An enjoyable episode which is the first of the New Who not to have been the start of a two-parter. Though we did get a cliffhanger. Steven Moffat isn't Captain Obvious, so there is likely to be alot of twists and turns in the final episode.

I like Craig and I like his 'mate' status with the Doctor rather than being a travelling companion. It's been a good batch of episodes recently Smiley
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2011, 04:18:17 PM »

Oh, and on a slightly more highbrow level, I did like the use of the Minotaur myth. When that kind of thing is placed in a sci-fi context it usually ends pretty badly, but it worked quite well in this case.

It's not the first time it's actually been used on this show - it featured in the highly camp Season 17 story "The Horns of Nimon".
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2011, 04:21:51 PM »

It's not the first time it's actually been used on this show - it featured in the highly camp Season 17 story "The Horns of Nimon".

As soon as I heard that there was a minotaur in 'The God Complex' I knew that it would be doing at least something right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-8np3aw-Cw
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:54 AM »

Bump ! Smiley

First four episodes of season 6 were aired yesterday in France. And... wow ! Cheesy I didn't expect it to get so thrilling from the very beginning. Generally the first three episodes are reasonably quiet... I guess that Moffat is starting to develop his own style different from Davies. Anyways, as usual with Moffat, we get a formidably genial (and frightening) concept. A creature you forget about as soon as you stop seeing it... yep, this is awesomely creepy. Tongue As for the whole astronaut/Amy-doctor daughter/Doctor's death stuff, I have renounced to come with any theory. I just hope we'll get the answer at the end of the season and not 15 years later !

Just a little qualm I have with this new Moffat style : I feel like everything goes a bit too fast. I doesn't let you the time to fully feel the angst, the perplexity, the stupor, the fascination as much as I think we did in the Davies era. What is surprising is that the episodes written by Moffat in this period were masterpieces regarding the management of time (just remember the Empty Child, or the Library...). This time, I feel like everything becomes clear a bit too fast, and thus it makes it seem less important. Even the revelation that the Silences are basically controlling humanity since prehistory is made in a way that makes it seem like a detail. I have the feeling that too much time was given to action scenes as opposed to reflection moments (these are the best in Doctor Who).

Still, great episodes and I long for the next ones !
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies