Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 08:05:23 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, The Mikado, Badger)
| | |-+  Doctor Who Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who Thread  (Read 11995 times)
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2010, 07:32:11 am »
Ignore

Hey, I was wondering if besides ArchangelZero, there were other Doctor Who fans around here. Smiley

Personally, I've discovered this series last summer and I like it more and more season after season. It's rarely seen a series combining action, sci-fi, suspense and humour (and what a clever british humour ! Cheesy). I'm usually not fond of this kind of things, but Doctor Who is something unique.

I've seen the seasons 1, 2, 3 and 4 entirely, but still not season 5 (as it still hasn't begun in France), so I'd ask you to avoid spoilers if you can. Wink

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It really is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
Volatilesaff
MATCHU[D]
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:04:17 am »
Ignore

I quite enjoy Doctor Who, though the current Doctor I'm just not feeling. David Tennant needs to return ASAP.

Warren '16!
London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:01:39 am »
Ignore

Hey, I was wondering if besides ArchangelZero, there were other Doctor Who fans around here. Smiley

Yes, I'm one.

An appropriate day to ask; the show is 47 today.

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:09:42 am »
Ignore

Thanks for singling me out.Sad

"Human beings are not much. But they may still be much more."
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 11:34:27 am »
Ignore

I've been a fan since about 1982.  Smiley  The first Doctor I've seen was Tom Baker. 

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 05:21:13 pm »
Ignore

Yes, I'm one.

An appropriate day to ask; the show is 47 today.

Oh, really. LOL, I didn't even know that ! Tongue

What did you understand ? What I meant is just that I already knew you were a Dr Who fan. Wink

I even intended to PM you if you hadn't noticed the thread. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:22:48 pm by Antonio V »Logged

22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It really is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:26:40 pm »
Ignore

Have something of a love-hate relationship. It can sometimes be dreadful. But normally it is  better than most things on television and is occasionally excellent. The recent series managed to avoid any dreadful episodes and wasn't so... problematic... at times, which was a nice change.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 06:50:21 pm »
Ignore

What did you understand ? What I meant is just that I already knew you were a Dr Who fan. Wink

I even intended to PM you if you hadn't noticed the thread. Smiley

Lol, I'm just joking with you man.  But yes, Doctor Who is teh awesome.

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 09:40:39 pm »
Ignore

I've only just watched the new Doctor Who series and I am a big fan.  There are usually a few episodes a year that are great.  Blink would rank as my favorite episode.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 09:43:26 pm »
Ignore

Blink would rank as my favorite episode.

Probably the best Doctor Who episode ever.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
IDS Judicial Overlord PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 10:12:13 pm »
Ignore

I quite enjoy Doctor Who, though the current Doctor I'm just not feeling. David Tennant needs to return ASAP.

Agreed, David Tennant suited the role perfectly. I was quite sad when he left.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 12:57:38 am »
Ignore

I recall making fun a friend's older brother when I was a teenager (many many moons ago) who watched the original show.  I still find the first run of it to be a little too corny for my liking.  My wife watches the current run of it and so I've seen a lot of episodes (many of them multiple times...the Library and the one where The Master tries and to take over the world...what with the shaky heads and stuff).  It's nowhere near the worst thing she watches (that would be anything with Gordon Ramsey or some of the lamer SciFy shows...I'm looking at you Sanctuary), but I've never been much of a SciFi guy (other than Star Wars of course...and SG-1 I guess).  The kids seem to like it too...not as much as The Walking Dead or South Park mind you, but they do enjoy it.

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 09:32:51 am »
Ignore

Sadly, I've never seen an episode of the old series, but I think I'm gonna dowload a few episodes one day to see how they were.

Also, let's talk about the actors. I've enjoyed the ninth doctor, Christopher Eccleston, and was very sad to see him written out so early in the show. I was a bit disappointed by David Tennant at his beginnings (I found his "humour" too childish and less witty than Eccleston's), but I think his performance improved in season 3 and 4 (I also probably gradually got more used to his acting). As I've never seen season 5 I don't know Matt Smith, though what I've seen in this thread makes me quite worried.

It really is.

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 11:09:00 am »
Ignore

Sadly, I've never seen an episode of the old series, but I think I'm gonna dowload a few episodes one day to see how they were.

Also, let's talk about the actors. I've enjoyed the ninth doctor, Christopher Eccleston, and was very sad to see him written out so early in the show. I was a bit disappointed by David Tennant at his beginnings (I found his "humour" too childish and less witty than Eccleston's), but I think his performance improved in season 3 and 4 (I also probably gradually got more used to his acting). As I've never seen season 5 I don't know Matt Smith, though what I've seen in this thread makes me quite worried.

On the contrary, I've found Matt Smith to be quite the great Doctor.

I loved Tennant, but his time was up.  Besides, the die-hard fans were starting to rage because of the Tenth Doctor's angst and moodiness.Tongue

The Eleventh Doctor is all about having fun, whether it's kicking ass or it's exploring a new world.  Very rarely does he get angry - although the one time he did it was rather sad.

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 04:00:27 pm »
Ignore

Well, basically what made me skeptical about the early Tennant was his kind of "hey, let's just have fun !" attitude. Of course episodes like The Satan Pit made me fully change my mind, and if we had any doubt about the maturity of the tenth doctor, the Season 3's finale definitely cleared them all. I actually think "angst and moodiness" are also an important part of the doctor's personality : he is and will remain a lonely, tormented and unsure being. Anyways, that did never prevent him from being a master regarding humour (the way the 9th doctor wielded irony and sarcasm was just epic). I think the best doctor should be able to embrace the character's formidable ambiguity.

It really is.

PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 04:08:04 pm »
Ignore

Well, basically what made me skeptical about the early Tennant was his kind of "hey, let's just have fun !" attitude. Of course episodes like The Satan Pit made me fully change my mind, and if we had any doubt about the maturity of the tenth doctor, the Season 3's finale definitely cleared them all. I actually think "angst and moodiness" are also an important part of the doctor's personality : he is and will remain a lonely, tormented and unsure being. Anyways, that did never prevent him from being a master regarding humour (the way the 9th doctor wielded irony and sarcasm was just epic). I think the best doctor should be able to embrace the character's formidable ambiguity.

Given some of the things in the Doctor's past, for him to not be angst-ridden & moody would be quite bizarre. Indeed, that's what I liked so much about the Tenth Doctor, especially later on. He managed to balance angst with the Doctor's typical eccentricity.

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 04:37:05 pm »
Ignore

Myself and Chris are huge fans.

While I loved Tennant, Matt Smith has been great - the stories and plots are tighter.
JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 09:18:01 pm »
Ignore

I grew up watching the original Doctor Who on Maryland Public Television.

I've really enjoyed the new series, except for the last season. I can't stand Matt Smith.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 09:22:38 pm »
Ignore

Well that's true, but the Time War was a crucible that honestly held his character back a little.  I loved Tennant, as well as the angst the such, but it was starting to become too much.

I'll lay it simply as this:  The old RTD era was about the characters, the new Moffat era is about the story.

That being said, you should really watch Series 5.  It is very good, the only issue being that some characters seem flat.

Given some of the things in the Doctor's past, for him to not be angst-ridden & moody would be quite bizarre. Indeed, that's what I liked so much about the Tenth Doctor, especially later on. He managed to balance angst with the Doctor's typical eccentricity.

Well true, but the fans started to scream "WHEN THE HELL IS HE GONNA GET OVER IT" lol.

Here's a good sample of Smith's work from the first episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCCMg-rcCQk&feature=related

And sadly an extra scene that should've been added to the season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiCvx5it8tU
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:39:06 pm by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »Logged

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 01:26:09 pm »
Ignore

Well true, but the fans started to scream "WHEN THE HELL IS HE GONNA GET OVER IT" lol.

Well, just try to immagine the USA suddenly disappearing with all its inhabitant except you : I think it would be pretty hard to get over it. Tongue Anyways, fans will always have something to complain about : that's pretty much what they we are for. Grin

Also, what about the doctor's companions ? They are of course very important in the telefilm, maybe almost as much as the doctor himself.
I've never really liked Rose (depressingly predictable, occasionally very naive and stupid), but I hated her since it started to look like the doctor was kind of falling in love of her. Really guy, wake up ! Her mother was hilarious though, and I loved when the doctor makes fun of "Rickey". Anyways, Rose needs to finally stay in her little useless parallel universe and never come back.
Martha Jones was awesome, she was definitely the best of the first 3 (don't know of Amy). She was clever, energetic, sensitive... in one word, worthy of the place she occupied. Too bad the doctor was still thinking to the useless blonde and didn't give a sh*t about her.
Donna Noble looked far too lunatic/erratic for my tastes, so I was kind of disappointed at the beginning (especially after Martha). But I eventually got used to her "original" style and found her endearing. And the way she ended up made me so sad... Sad
Well, there's also Jack Harckness. While in "the empty child" I was thinking "who the hell is this idiot", he revealed to be an epic character and I missed him after season 1. He was still great in the season 3 finale, as "Mr Die Hard", but in season 4's he became a bit irrelevant between all the other guys.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 01:29:09 pm by Antonio V »Logged

It really is.

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 02:14:08 pm »
Ignore

Well, just try to immagine the USA suddenly disappearing with all its inhabitant except you : I think it would be pretty hard to get over it. Tongue Anyways, fans will always have something to complain about : that's pretty much what they we are for. Grin

Well yeah, but it was his fault....twice.Tongue

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 09:03:59 am »
Ignore

His fault, how so ? Huh (did I miss something ? Shocked)

It really is.

PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 02:55:50 pm »
Ignore

You didn't watch The End Of Time, did you? Tongue

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 03:49:42 pm »
Ignore

You didn't watch The End Of Time, did you? Tongue

No, I didnt, so PLEASE SHUT UP EVERYBODY !!! Angry

It really is.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 03:53:15 pm »
Ignore

I would recommend not watching it, actually. Some astonishingly shoddy writing, unfortunately.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout