Doctor Who Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:58:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Doctor Who Thread  (Read 32465 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« on: November 23, 2010, 10:09:42 AM »

Hey, I was wondering if besides ArchangelZero, there were other Doctor Who fans around here. Smiley

Thanks for singling me out.Sad
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »

Hey, I was wondering if besides ArchangelZero, there were other Doctor Who fans around here. Smiley

Thanks for singling me out.Sad

What did you understand ? What I meant is just that I already knew you were a Dr Who fan. Wink

I even intended to PM you if you hadn't noticed the thread. Smiley

Lol, I'm just joking with you man.  But yes, Doctor Who is teh awesome.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »

Sadly, I've never seen an episode of the old series, but I think I'm gonna dowload a few episodes one day to see how they were.

Also, let's talk about the actors. I've enjoyed the ninth doctor, Christopher Eccleston, and was very sad to see him written out so early in the show. I was a bit disappointed by David Tennant at his beginnings (I found his "humour" too childish and less witty than Eccleston's), but I think his performance improved in season 3 and 4 (I also probably gradually got more used to his acting). As I've never seen season 5 I don't know Matt Smith, though what I've seen in this thread makes me quite worried.

On the contrary, I've found Matt Smith to be quite the great Doctor.

I loved Tennant, but his time was up.  Besides, the die-hard fans were starting to rage because of the Tenth Doctor's angst and moodiness.Tongue

The Eleventh Doctor is all about having fun, whether it's kicking ass or it's exploring a new world.  Very rarely does he get angry - although the one time he did it was rather sad.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2010, 09:39:06 PM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

Well that's true, but the Time War was a crucible that honestly held his character back a little.  I loved Tennant, as well as the angst the such, but it was starting to become too much.

I'll lay it simply as this:  The old RTD era was about the characters, the new Moffat era is about the story.

That being said, you should really watch Series 5.  It is very good, the only issue being that some characters seem flat.

Well, basically what made me skeptical about the early Tennant was his kind of "hey, let's just have fun !" attitude. Of course episodes like The Satan Pit made me fully change my mind, and if we had any doubt about the maturity of the tenth doctor, the Season 3's finale definitely cleared them all. I actually think "angst and moodiness" are also an important part of the doctor's personality : he is and will remain a lonely, tormented and unsure being. Anyways, that did never prevent him from being a master regarding humour (the way the 9th doctor wielded irony and sarcasm was just epic). I think the best doctor should be able to embrace the character's formidable ambiguity.

Given some of the things in the Doctor's past, for him to not be angst-ridden & moody would be quite bizarre. Indeed, that's what I liked so much about the Tenth Doctor, especially later on. He managed to balance angst with the Doctor's typical eccentricity.

Well true, but the fans started to scream "WHEN THE HELL IS HE GONNA GET OVER IT" lol.

Here's a good sample of Smith's work from the first episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCCMg-rcCQk&feature=related

And sadly an extra scene that should've been added to the season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiCvx5it8tU
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »

Well true, but the fans started to scream "WHEN THE HELL IS HE GONNA GET OVER IT" lol.

Well, just try to immagine the USA suddenly disappearing with all its inhabitant except you : I think it would be pretty hard to get over it. Tongue Anyways, fans will always have something to complain about : that's pretty much what they we are for. Grin

Well yeah, but it was his fault....twice.Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »

Antonio, if you think Episode 2 was heartbreaking, just wait until you watch Episode 8 (Vincent and the Doctor), or even A Christmas Carol (this year's Christmas Special).  Those are the two most emotional stories I've seen since Matt Smith took the helm.

Also, you'll love Episodes 4 and 5.  And always remember, you can skip ahead, all of it is on Sidereel (albeit in English).Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 05:48:22 PM »

As for Amy, I like her a lot. She's had her detractors, but she's a great addition to the TARDIS.

Amy is quite interesting as she's a rather polarizing character.  Fans either flat out hate her or love her, there's rarely any middle ground.

Personally though she may come off as flat at times, I loved her character.  And I also think Karen Gillan is quite attractive. Cheesy
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:39:27 PM »

Any thoughts on the identity of River Song? Wink
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »

Wait, River Song will be back ? Shocked

From what I've seen in "silence in the library", the Doctor and her are passionately in love. Whether or not they are married is not that important. Tongue

River will be back for sure.  Twice these season, alluding to something quite interesting (she will be in the Weeping Angel episodes coming up for you guys.)

Next season will be the big reveal of her identity, and hopefully we can put that plot point to rest (it's the one thing I was hoping Moffat would end sooner rather than later).

As for the idea of her being his wife....it may be true, but still, it does seem a rather tad obvious, no?  And if Moffat has anything to do with it, it's never obvious.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »

Yeah, I'd say that Army of Ghosts/Doomsday was my second favorite season finale (after Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords). It brought back the Daleks as they normally do, but at least we got to see them take on the Cybermen in an epic showdown. Tongue

I would actually rate The Parting of the Ways as the best new series finale mainly due to the fact that it was well built up and it didn't disappoint (well not as much as it could have).

The Series 3 finale (the Master trilogy) would have been the best had they not ****ed with the ending of Last of the Time Lords.  I mean, seriously?  Psychic energy?  Come on RTD, at least come up with something that's a little more gritty.

However, this is discounting the Series 5 finale which I personally loved, mainly due to it's timey-wimey wackiness.    And that it probably delivered one of the most awesome speeches in the new series so far (The Doctor at Stonehenge yelling at this enemies).  Of course, I don't really see it as a finale as it's not truly the end of the storyline....just a climax to one part of it.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »

I have the last 3 episodes of season 5 still to watch. Christmas special not coming before... next Christmas. Sad

Watch it online, trust me, it's worth it.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 07:38:48 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2011, 07:44:14 PM by Governor (The) Doctor »

General question: how do I get into Dr. Who?  Where is the starting point for new viewers that doesn't entail watching 50 years of reruns?

You can easily start with the new series and skip the old one (which I've never watched). However, you will have to wait until "Dalek" (6th episode) in order to have a good idea of what Doctor Who really is, and until "The empty child/The Doctor dances" (8/9) to realize how great this series is.

So you mean until Moffat starts writing?

Tongue Wink

That said, my favourite quote from the new trailer:

Glowing Green Monster Thing:  "Fear me, I've killed hundreds of Time Lords."

The Doctor:  "Fear me, I've killed all of them."

It's Gaiman's episode too....EPIC!!! Cheesy
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »

RIP Liz Sladen aka Sarah Jane Smith. Cry
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »

I really hope the BBC has the decency to give a small moment for both her and Nicholas Courtney at the beginning or the end of The Impossible Astronaut.

And I just realized something....what's going to happen to the next season of SJA?  Half of it has already been filmed...Sad
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »

Anyways, the one today was good and very promising. Hopefully the second half doesn't disappoint, because there's some much that's... you know.

So nice to see a non-fluffy opener.

Yeah, Steven pulled out a really solid two-parter, managed to pack the charm, the laughter and the drama all into it.  Matt's acting was brilliant, especially in the questioning scene - he would do well as both the goofy kid and the shadow-y manipulator the Doctor has been.

Oh, and the music was great.  Nice and subtle, fit well with the story.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »

So, to those who watched the newest episode, one question to pose -

Who's kid is that?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »

Who's kid is that?

Amy was talking about thinking she was pregnant and was worried what traveling in the TARDIS would do to a fetus. Then the Doctor scanned Amy and it turns out she *is* pregnant. Then we see a mysterious child who can regenerate. This is either blatant foreshadowing or a blatant misdirection.

Season 6 is already better than season 5. I don't hate Matt Smith so much, and I really think River Song needs her own spinoff series.

Don't you mean is/is not pregnant? Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »

Who's kid is that?

Amy was talking about thinking she was pregnant and was worried what traveling in the TARDIS would do to a fetus. Then the Doctor scanned Amy and it turns out she *is* pregnant. Then we see a mysterious child who can regenerate. This is either blatant foreshadowing or a blatant misdirection.

Season 6 is already better than season 5. I don't hate Matt Smith so much, and I really think River Song needs her own spinoff series.

She said she wasn't but she thought she was at one point.

Oh, I was referring to the scanner saying positive and negative at the same time.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 08:15:25 PM »

Who's kid is that?

She said she wasn't but she thought she was at one point.

Oh, I was referring to the scanner saying positive and negative at the same time.

I didn't see that, I just saw it say positive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwQTBTAKiyg

Right after it stops on "Positive", it fluctuates.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »

Wow.  Just wow.

Also, my mind is blown from the trailer for next week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_NLjHUKEro&feature=feedu
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »

Why is Matthew Graham allowed to write for television without someone holding his hand?

Because Life On Mars kept up on viewer ratings.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »

The tenth and eleventh doctors appear to be quite the hotties. I've never seen any of the episodes, but I'm intrigued. Considering there's a sh**tload and most of the earlier ones don't even exist anymore, series 1 is a good place to start? Or are there any particular parts in the earlier series that I should start at, or just read summaries of important events?

The old series would give you a grasp at the basic mythology of the show.  In any case, starting at Series 1 is a good idea for anyone who is starting to watch the show.  Well, at least the modern version of it.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 12:56:08 AM »

Yeah, people are calling it: she'll probably be the next companion.

Otherwise, that last episode was awful. Made no sense and was just a mish-mash of bad ideas.

I don't see how it was so confusing.  She lied - a lot, she said she does that.  And she died in FOTD because she told the Doctor that saving the library would burn out both hearts.  So it all falls in place.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 12:53:29 PM »

Ok, so I'll have to avoid reading this thread for almost one year... Grin

River is actually the Master.
'

No, she's the Rani in a Paul McGann costume. Cheesy
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 08:57:06 PM »

The past two episodes have been quite good, really.  Both have shown the fallacy of the Doctor as a hero, and have really brought out the performances in both of the (former) companions.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies