Doctor Who Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:35:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Doctor Who Thread  (Read 32462 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: November 24, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »

Myself and Chris are huge fans.

While I loved Tennant, Matt Smith has been great - the stories and plots are tighter.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:12:59 PM »

Amy is amazing. What I like about this relationship (and part of the reason why I liked Catherine Tate as Donna) is that her and the Doctor are friends. No romantic tension; they are just 'mates.'
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:19:52 AM »

New series trailer looks amazing...and those shadowy figures....
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 06:24:02 PM »

Right Smiley

Two episodes in to the return of Series 6. Thoughts?

I am really enjoying this. What I am also enjoying is retreading old ground.

Who knew for example, that 'The Silence' big grey aliens appeared in the last series; their mechanical purr was heard, followed by a period of shock then bemusement. Or last weeks episode; '32 minutes', Always '32 minutes'; The Doctors Death we know is at 5.02, the invitations received in the first episode were to meet at 4.30 - 32 minutes before.

Good fun Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »

I'll need to dig out the YouTube clip, but there are two definites (the 'look' and the 'purr' are in both) the first is when a figure walks in front of Amy in the Beast Below, the second in The Lodger when Amy is in the TARDIS.

There are also some who say (and I can't quite dismiss it after hearing it myself) that the voice of Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor is heard in one of the distress cubes in this years The Doctor's Wife

Moffat has been setting the scene for a few years now; it wouldn't suprise me if he's planting ideas/clues for next series or the 50th Anniversary. He also says there is something blindingly obvious but very relevant in the first 11th Doctor episode, The Eleventh Hour that we are all missing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 05:44:15 PM »

The Girl Who Waited

Another corker. Wonderful 'old' style story focusing on Amy and Rory. One of the best this series.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »

So, The God Complex

Again another good episode, this time dealing in an interesting way with faith and belief with the Doctor questioning the nature of himself; whether he saves or in fact destroys. Probably my favourite this series.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »

So yeah; Closing Time

An enjoyable episode which is the first of the New Who not to have been the start of a two-parter. Though we did get a cliffhanger. Steven Moffat isn't Captain Obvious, so there is likely to be alot of twists and turns in the final episode.

I like Craig and I like his 'mate' status with the Doctor rather than being a travelling companion. It's been a good batch of episodes recently Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:32:43 AM »

Moffat did rush his ark. He's been sandwiched in by circumstance; the next series (which may be this August, post Olympics) is the lead on to the 50th anniversary. I liked this series; there are alot of good standout episodes you will enjoy.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »

I'll play Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »

Well that was good Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »

David Bradley (who needs to be in larger parts on the telly more often; he's great) was a properly nasty villain this week, something that's actually surprisingly unusual in Doctor Who. Interesting decision to place such a character in what would otherwise have been a 'silly' episode; I quite liked that, but can see why others might not.

I thought that too. He wasn't a villain who ran away or was 'defeated by love' or anything else but was sent away to certain death. He was a good villain because he was greedy, uncompromising and human. I know alot of people didn't like the episode but I thought it was well paced. Unsuprisingly those who claimed they couldn't follow last series' 'arc' are now complaining because this one doesn't have one.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 06:53:44 AM »

Seriously looking at gender in post-2005 Doctor Who (and a lot of pre-2005, but not all) is, indeed, more often than not an absolute misery.

I think that's a little harsh. Pre-2005 Who was generally awful, with alot of companions essentially being nothing more than 'damsels' who usually need saving after making a mess of something. We've since had a variety of strong male and female characters displaying just about every facet of personality. In this Christmas episode we have a interspecies lesbian relationship and no one bats an eyelid. Looking at British TV on a whole, Doctor Who is probably the most diverse and honest show out there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies