Foreign Policy Reform Act of 2010 (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:24:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Foreign Policy Reform Act of 2010 (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Foreign Policy Reform Act of 2010 (Law'd)  (Read 4270 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: November 23, 2010, 06:08:38 PM »
« edited: December 04, 2010, 11:28:39 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »

I see no problem with this other than that it should probably be edited to make it gender-neutral.  We won't attract women to Atlasia by assuming every elected or appointed government official is a male.  Wink

You can offer that as a friendly  amendment you know. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:02:08 PM »

I think Hash and Kal are right about this. As much as I think flexibility is a good thing, in this case, we need some hard deadlines. The situation in Foreign Affairs activity has reached a critical state and we need some serious changes to try and reverse that trend.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 12:57:30 AM »

I agree the GM's activity is a key part of this bill. Which perhaps means the GM could've/should've been consulted for his input on the measure, no?

"Critical State"? In the long term, perhaps. Like I said, and agree 100%, foreign affairs have long been ignored in Atlasia. GMs simply haven't put great emphasis on it. Even a great GM like PS had his New Mexico crisis, Chinese navel maneuvers near Taiwanese claimed islands and, well that's about it IIRC. Reversing that trend is a firm goal of mine as GM. It WILL be done.

But mandated events twice a month? Quantity vs. quality. This is not the way to go. I urge the Senate to give new direction from the GM's Office an opportunity before turning foreign policy storylines into the storyline equivalent of fast food.

Who says quality has to suffer? It can, but that doesn't mean it definately will.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »

Scary portent of the future, I am the only Senator who has posted in this thread so far. Angry I think the Senate needs "structure" and "standards" far more but its like getting a group of crooks to vote to establish firmer penalties for theft.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 07:24:35 PM »

Amendment offered and accepted as friendly.

Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 08:46:52 PM »

Badger, I think once per month is a fine compromise that will be accepted by the authors of this bill; namely my Veep and SoEA.  You have suggested bi-monthly, but you also say that you intend to exceed that minimum.  If you're going to do better than every two months anyways, what is the harm of writing it into the bill?

Let's please not forget Kal's equally important suggestion that a monthly foreign policy event may be a continuation or update of an event rather than a new storyline altogether. I strongly feel that needs to be addressed in the legislation as well.

I'm still not a fan of mandating GM activity for exactly the reasons given by Purple State, the Patron Saint of Game Moderators. Grin However, with the expansion of mandated time frames to at least a month, and the caveat Kal proposed, well, I can live with that.

Well I have heard you have complained about having no input, and that you want a certain item to it.

So why don't we kill two birds with one stone. You write up an amendment, that way it suits your fancy, and you can say "I made a difference" in that bill. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »

Badger, I think once per month is a fine compromise that will be accepted by the authors of this bill; namely my Veep and SoEA.  You have suggested bi-monthly, but you also say that you intend to exceed that minimum.  If you're going to do better than every two months anyways, what is the harm of writing it into the bill?

Let's please not forget Kal's equally important suggestion that a monthly foreign policy event may be a continuation or update of an event rather than a new storyline altogether. I strongly feel that needs to be addressed in the legislation as well.

I'm still not a fan of mandating GM activity for exactly the reasons given by Purple State, the Patron Saint of Game Moderators. Grin However, with the expansion of mandated time frames to at least a month, and the caveat Kal proposed, well, I can live with that.

For the record, I included
Well I have heard you have complained about having no input, and that you want a certain item to it.

So why don't we kill two birds with one stone. You write up an amendment, that way it suits your fancy, and you can say "I made a difference" in that bill. Wink

Done

Amendment offered and accepted as friendly.

Senators have 24 hours to object.

For the record, I included the President "or" SoEA language instead of "and" for one reason: What if at some point the SoEA or President should obtain information that, for whatever reason, they may wish to keep from the other? "Plausible deniability"?, mistrust on a particular issue? "national security"? And then what if despite such secrecy the GM determined info of such stonewalling reached the other, or even became public? Wouldn't that be insanely juicy and fun to play? Cheesy

Now, I seriously doubt that's going to happen. A wise SoEA and President will trust the other and work together. But international diplomacy isn't always pretty, so "what if"?

Not that I expect that'll happen in this Administration. Not after Fritz already ripped Hash a new one about those payments in Krugerrands....
But I've said too much...Grin

There is this guy named Darrell on the phone, he says he wants you to "testify" about this disturbing piece of information, you have revealed. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 02:10:20 AM »

"I would love to. But. I. Misspoke. SoEA Hashamite is beyond approach" ouch! Sorry! I can't read your handwriting! "beyond reproach". Help me! He's got a gun!! "Any insinuation of bribery or Cayman Island accounts are utterly false" Dear god someone help me!!!

hmmm Caymen Island accounts? This is getting more intested with each passing moment.

And as for the little issue of the gun, well, we'll be sure to hang him high if he does anything stupid.

Oh wait you idiots got rid of the death penalty. Tongue  Looks like your screwed. Been nice knowing you. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 03:49:37 PM »

Probably as you all noticed, from time to time I'm grossly overreacting. This is not justification, but that usually happens when I have very bad RL day.

Badger, I'm sorry for the tone, but I'm insisting once again, that the bill is not representing any value without section 1. Because without GM involvement, there can't be an active foreign policy. Period.

I can personally accept one month compromise, but if this idea is totally stricken, I'm disavowing this project.

I will oppose any attempt to strike the requirement entirely.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »

Is it just me or are Badger and Kal talking around one another?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 07:25:52 PM »

Don't tell Keystone Phil, but we were so serious in this thread, no one remembered to actually introduce Badger's amendment. Tongue  Its partially Badger's fault because he quoted the whole text of my post with the previous amendment including the "Senators have 24 hours to object" line. Tongue

Amendment introduced and excepted as friendly. Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 11:12:15 PM »

The amendment has passed by the way.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2010, 06:28:29 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

A final vote is now open on this bill, Senators please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain?

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 01:58:40 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2010, 06:32:50 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Aye (7): ahduke99, AndrewCT, Bacon King, HappyWarrior, Libertas, NC Yankee, and Snowguy
Nay (1): Eraserhead
Abstained (0):

Abstained by not voting (2): Barnes, and bgwah

This bill has enough votes to pass, Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »

THis bill has passed and is presented to the President for his signature.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies