World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:18:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Poll
Question: Which sites would you like to see selected to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups? Please pick one of the first four options for 2018 and one of the last five for 2022.
Belgium and The Netherlands

England

Spain and Portugal

Russia

Australia

Japan

Qatar

South Korea

United States

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection  (Read 31340 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2011, 02:42:20 PM »

Why, by the way, was the 2022 site selected more than a decade in advance to begin with?

I think this was the first time they selected multiple tournaments at one meeting. I guess their reason was to save time.
I guess their reason was to increase the probability that bought executive members stay bought...

Pretty sure it wasn't the first time they selected multiple tournaments, but a return to long past bad form, though.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »

Chances Qatar loses its hosting rights after the latest scandal?
< 1%

Even if they decide to do a revote, they are likely to reconfirm Qatar, and n the unlikely event they don't, it will go to another AFC nation.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2011, 01:32:15 AM »

Why, by the way, was the 2022 site selected more than a decade in advance to begin with?

I think this was the first time they selected multiple tournaments at one meeting. I guess their reason was to save time.

No, Blatter wanted to the fill his pockets twice. He's out the door in 2015 and he wanted to milk it as much as possible before he hands over to Platini.

They won't take the tournament from Qatar. Doing so would just confirm all the corruption accusations. They'll just do what the IOC did with Salt Lake City - do a half hearted investigation, cover it up, introduce some reforms and hope everybody forgets.

The most astonishing thing here is not FIFA's implosion or the fact they're willing to tear each other apart. It's that they had the balls to do this in the first place. At least there was some merit in giving the 2002 Winter Olympics to Utah. But the World Cup in Qatar? In June???

FIFA grew too much too fast.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2011, 03:26:18 AM »

Obviously, Australians are even more peeved than we were.

If it was a free and fair election, we might still have lost - but we'd have gotten more than one vote, and I believe we'd have had every chance of winning. After all, we had the best bid.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »

C'mon, Qatar obviously loves football:

...30 millions of euros per year during 5 years, which becomes the biggest sponsoring ever in football...

...and big money very big money entered in French football...

With 80 millions of euros and 40 for one player only, PSG makes the biggest recruiting ever in French football, and Pastore, 40 millions for him alone also becomes the most expensive player ever in French football...

lol, given that the deficit of all our L1 clubs together was equivalent to the deficit of Manchester City last year, Qatar might be able to buy the whole French championship...

Well, having to face +40°C will get Westerners used to global warming (or it will just give them a decent summer, that is not 20° and rain during 2 months like here this year Tongue), and they could also figure out what it is to be a minority amongst a majority of Arabs, and, having something like this in such an unusual place is not unpleasant, and I find the stadiums (yeah, I don't say stadia Tongue) they propose quite fancy.

Then, beside the stupidity to give something more than 10 years before, if only given the geopolitical context of the area, and beside the eventual bribing stuff which seems to be almost a normal thing in FIFA, the only thing that actually bothers and disturbs me in Qatar having this precisely is the social conditions with which those fancy stadiums will be built, unless they would propose strong guarantees on that realm, for this only I wouldn't have given it to them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2011, 12:26:46 PM »

This really had to be bumped to horribly remind us that Qatar will get to host the tournament? Ugh.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2011, 12:35:28 PM »

This really had to be bumped to horribly remind us that Qatar will get to host the tournament? Ugh.

accumulation of notifications in the mailbox Tongue, and to answer the question, well apparently yes...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2011, 09:41:18 PM »

It still sickens me.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #183 on: September 30, 2011, 12:07:56 PM »

[/Qatar 'loves' football, you will have to get used with it]

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2011/09/qatars_football_dreams.html

For French eyes:

http://www.slateafrique.com/46197/football-africain-fait-rever-qatar
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »

France Football is claiming they have proof of what we all knew: two members votes were bought for $1.5 million each and Sarkozy and Platini were involved. Sarkozy asked Platini to support the bid for "geopolitical reasons" then the two allegedly met with the Qatari Crown Prince to discuss his country's investment in French football. A year later, the Paris Saint-Germain tookover occured.

Evidence will be submitted to FIFA. Let's not hold our breath that that tournament will be re-awarded though.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2013, 02:52:01 PM »

I for one am shocked.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »

While I would like to see both WCs revoked and reassigned from racist Russia and nonentity Qatar, I do not want it at the expense of the name of Nicolas Sarkozy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2013, 04:10:06 PM »

The U.S. should be given the hosting spot immediately.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »

The U.S. should be given the hosting spot immediately.

Agree.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2013, 04:58:59 AM »

*cough*

But yeah, anyone but Qatar works.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »

I watched your bid video the other day. That alone should prevent Australia from ever hosting.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #191 on: January 31, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »

Ideally, the UK should have bid for 2022. That way the WC could have coincided with the Queen's platinum jubilee.

But yes, give us the games.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #192 on: January 31, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »

FYI - 2018 was Europe's turn to host and England submitted their (disastrous) bid for that year so 2022 was never going to happen for them.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #193 on: August 27, 2013, 11:20:56 AM »

Blatter wants it in Winter:

'We won't play in Summer'

He didn't say how he wanted the Middle-East to be in 2022 though...

What an odd decision this has been...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #194 on: August 27, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »

Blatter wants it in Winter:

'We won't play in Summer'

He didn't say how he wanted the Middle-East to be in 2022 though...

What an odd decision this has been...

Yeah, he and others have been saying this for awhile. It's going to destroy domestic leagues for a year, not to mention Champions/Europe League play. Just an all around idiotic decision with serious consequences.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2013, 12:25:45 PM »

An article from yesterday - [url]http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/fifa-president-sepp-blatter-expects-2022-world-cup-to-move-from-summer-due-to-climate-concerns-082513[/quote]

This article suggests May which would absolutely be do-able. They'd just have to start all of the major leagues a month earlier in the previous year so that everything would end in April (including the Champions League Final).

The issue is that having it in May doesn't solve the heat problem so I don't understand why there is speculation around May. The average high is still 100 degrees as opposed to 106 in June/July. The November suggestion makes more sense climate-wise (a "cool" 84 degrees) but that would ruin league play.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2013, 12:42:51 PM »

Eh, plenty of leagues are messed up when the World Cup is held in June: most of the Southern hemisphere leagues, the MLS, the Scandinavian leagues, etc. They seem to get by fine. Why are the Western European leagues unable to adapt to a winter world cup?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2013, 01:07:19 PM »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »

Someone claim to Blatter that we won't watch - or rather, that tv won't pay in winter.

It's probably not entirely untrue, anyways.
Icehand Gino
Rookie
France

« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »

This article suggests May which would absolutely be do-able. They'd just have to start all of the major leagues a month earlier in the previous year so that everything would end in April (including the Champions League Final).

The issue is that having it in May doesn't solve the heat problem so I don't understand why there is speculation around May. The average high is still 100 degrees as opposed to 106 in June/July. The November suggestion makes more sense climate-wise (a "cool" 84 degrees) but that would ruin league play.

Another issue with a May tournament would be a shortened preparation (leagues would probably do everything they can to be the nearest to usual schedule) just like in 2002. And as much as underdog stories are enjoyables, it's still a huge loss for football to not see some of the best teams at their maximum.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies