World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:59:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Poll
Question: Which sites would you like to see selected to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups? Please pick one of the first four options for 2018 and one of the last five for 2022.
Belgium and The Netherlands

England

Spain and Portugal

Russia

Australia

Japan

Qatar

South Korea

United States

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection  (Read 31319 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »

Any chance of European/Western countries boycotting and holding a separate event altogether in the summer, ala the 1984 Friendship Games?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »

Any chance of European/Western countries boycotting and holding a separate event altogether in the summer, ala the 1984 Friendship Games?

Doubtful, especially with Platini in charge.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »

UEFA is not going to wait until 2034 for the next world cup. Especially as that will mean 28 years without a WC in Western Europe. Not happening.

Oh, it's laughable that FIFA have 'rules' for hosting. A brief look at history would show that they make them up as they go along.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2014, 01:20:46 AM »

It absolutely was appropriate for Asia to get the world cup, but Qatar was such a horrible choice.

It's why I was supporting Istanbul for the 2020 Olympics, btw - if Istanbul had gotten the games, it would have shut the door on Doha for at least a couple of decades.

Other than the awful match times, Australia as a host would be fine. Qatar was obviously a godawful choice.

Well and it being another Winter World Cup. I really don't like that.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2014, 01:53:00 AM »

Sydney is hardly Joburg. Average July temp is mid to high teens for pretty much every Australian city, I think? Bit higher in Perth and Brisbane, maybe, and cold nights in Canberra. Still, that's an Irish summer.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2014, 05:38:18 AM »

Sydney is hardly Joburg. Average July temp is mid to high teens for pretty much every Australian city, I think? Bit higher in Perth and Brisbane, maybe, and cold nights in Canberra. Still, that's an Irish summer.
Darwin and Townsville are mid to high 20's, if they count as cities Tongue

Hobart and Canberra (because of the altitude) would be low teens you'd think.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #256 on: March 07, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »

This crisis in Ukraine may provide the opportunity to get the 2018 World Cup moved. Senators Kirk and Coats have written a letter to Blatter, urging him to strip Russia of hosting rights - http://www.beinsports.tv/news/article/s1oji2fyne6a195txu97ob7df/title/us-senators-sepp-blatter-fifa-world-cup-2014-2018
Icehand Gino
Rookie
France

« Reply #257 on: March 08, 2014, 04:22:22 AM »

FIFA did not strip Argentina from hosting rights in 1978.
FIFA awarded 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

It would be pretty naive to think they will move the World Cup this time.

The only comparable instance was exclusion of Yugoslavia from Euro 1992 but it was under United Nations Security Council Resolution 757 and we all know that Russia will never be punished by Security Council for obvious reasons.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #258 on: March 08, 2014, 06:10:27 AM »

I actually have no real problem with Russia hosting the 2018 World Cup.

Just fricking Qatar.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #259 on: March 08, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »

Colombia was stripped of the 1986 World Cup eight full years after receiving it, so there is precedent.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »

Colombia was stripped of the 1986 World Cup eight full years after receiving it, so there is precedent.

They weren't stripped, they voluntarily pulled out IIRC.

Of course, it's highly unlikely that Russia will be stripped of hosting. At the bare minimum they aren't using literal slave labor in stadium construction.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #261 on: March 08, 2014, 07:02:59 PM »

They weren't stripped, they voluntarily pulled out IIRC.

If only another Colombian had done the same...
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #262 on: June 01, 2014, 11:53:05 AM »

So, Anything new going on with this?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »

So, Anything new going on with this?

Funny you ask that since there was this news today, posted elsewhere - http://m.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27654587
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2014, 06:35:15 PM »

the low countries and South Korea get my vote. Low countries have good football history and current status (both Belgium and Holland are good teams with good fanbases), plus it's in the center of Europe which brings in the English,French, German, Italian and other fans. Additionally their economies and such are stable.

South Korea did a good job in 2002 co hosting and Asian football is growing (South Korea being one of the better Asian teams), Japan has the overpopulation and Fukashima radiation issues along with economy stagnant and Australia doesn't seem to be enough of a footballing nation yet to host (though they would be my second choice).

USA is generic and boring, England same thing, Spain is broke, Russia and Qatar are awful and corrupt and that would be rewarding despots and bribery.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #265 on: June 01, 2014, 10:24:07 PM »

Australia is the obvious choice. Same confederation, hasn't hosted before, and would only have to build one stadium and upgrade two to three. Has the hotel rooms, heaps of experience hosting large international sporting events, and has qualified for the world cup for three in a row and there's every reason to assume we'll qualify for 2018 as well, so while soccer isn't our primary sport we do have enough strength to not be too much of a WTF choice.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #266 on: June 02, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »

Anything is going to be refreshing after Qatar.  I'm..... not a fan of the Middle East or anything about that wretched corner of the globe. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #267 on: June 03, 2014, 06:25:18 PM »

Also the AFC would go batsh**t if it was stripped from Qatar, and doubly batsh**t if it was taken outside of Western Asia and triply batsh**t if it was taken outside of the AFC.

Who cares? Literally one AFC member has made it to a World Cup semifinal, and they were hosting!

"...and they were hosting/cheating!" is what you meant.

Sadly, this won't be reversed. Listen, we all know the U.S. is the country that deserves to host the 2022 tournament but it just isn't going to happen at this point.

What did we ever do to deserve having that foisted on us again so soon?  As it is we'll probably get stuck with 2026.

Oh, little things like having world class stadiums have a little something to do with it.

Ever since getting screwed over for 2022, I've been pessimistic/paranoid about 2026. You watch: they'll somehow award it to Mexico or, more realistically, Canada. Just watch.
In the spirit of 2022, they should go for the Caymans.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #268 on: June 03, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »

I doubt that FIFA in current standards will give it to Belgium and Netherlands. People in that countries can have a similar reaction, like in Brazil. They wouldn't like to deal with Blatter and Valcke. 2026 would be good to be in North America (USA or Mexico). 2030, centennial cup would be good placed on a comeback to Africa, maybe in Morocco or in a post-El Sisi's democratical Egypt. If in Europe, England would make a great choice. In 2034, go back to Asia, on China or India.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #269 on: June 04, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »

In the spirit of 2022, they should go for the Caymans.

Followed by one in the Channel Islands, perhaps? Maybe as part of a joint bid with Monaco and the Isle of Man.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #270 on: June 04, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »

The Channel Islands (and Isle of Man) already have their own international football tournament, thank you very much: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_Island_Games
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #271 on: July 10, 2014, 07:15:04 PM »

It's being reported that, as I predicted and feared, Canada will bid for the 2026 World Cup.

And something I realized just the other day: the U.S. will be in the midst of our 250th birthday celebration when the Quarters or Semis are taking place unless the time frame for the tournament is adjusted. I originally thought that could help our bid but it might be seen as way too much of a distraction.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #272 on: July 21, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »

How likely is it that Russia loses the World Cup at this point due to international sanctions?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #273 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »

FIFA won't take it away. Russia might have to concede it if they can't afford it, though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #274 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »

It's being reported that, as I predicted and feared, Canada will bid for the 2026 World Cup.

And something I realized just the other day: the U.S. will be in the midst of our 250th birthday celebration when the Quarters or Semis are taking place unless the time frame for the tournament is adjusted. I originally thought that could help our bid but it might be seen as way too much of a distraction.

Hey, it's the only way we can qualify!

I think next year's Women's World Cup will be critical to our chances. Any time we've hosted a FIFA tournament, it has been a great success, so it it makes sense for Canada to host on that front.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies