World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:18:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which sites would you like to see selected to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups? Please pick one of the first four options for 2018 and one of the last five for 2022.
Belgium and The Netherlands

England

Spain and Portugal

Russia

Australia

Japan

Qatar

South Korea

United States

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection  (Read 31362 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 01, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »

Chances Qatar loses its hosting rights after the latest scandal?
< 1%

Even if they decide to do a revote, they are likely to reconfirm Qatar, and n the unlikely event they don't, it will go to another AFC nation.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 06:15:35 PM »

Also the AFC would go batsh**t if it was stripped from Qatar, and doubly batsh**t if it was taken outside of Western Asia and triply batsh**t if it was taken outside of the AFC.

Who cares? Literally one AFC member has made it to a World Cup semifinal, and they were hosting!

"...and they were hosting/cheating!" is what you meant.

Sadly, this won't be reversed. Listen, we all know the U.S. is the country that deserves to host the 2022 tournament but it just isn't going to happen at this point.

What did we ever do to deserve having that foisted on us again so soon?  As it is we'll probably get stuck with 2026.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:04:06 AM »

Isn't the FIFA alternating between Europe and the Rest of the World? That would put Europe up for 2026 (it has been quite a while since the last WC in the UK or in Scandinavia). North America might have a go for 2030, but my feeling is - unless Qatar becomes a complete disaster, which can't be ruled out - that they envisage Africa for 2030 (Morocco?). 2034 is probably Turkey, unless they get the Olympics before...

FIFA has a rule now that a confederation can't host more than every third time.  Since Russia has 2018, a UEFA member can't host until 2030, tho Uruguay will argue for the centennial World Cup to be held where it all began.  2030 certainly will go to either Europe or an Uruguayan bid.  If North America doesn't get it in 2026, we'll likely have to wait until 2034.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:49:15 AM »

Well, I hope they keep stalling. The longer it takes them IMO, the more likely the United States becomes the best candidate to host.

The World may need the US to host the Cup, but the US does not need to host the World Cup.  It's like the Olympics.  I'm perfectly happy to let some other country have the bother and expense of hosting such an event.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »

How about Cuba?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 12:25:41 AM »

I wonder if the US gov't would give the players a travel waiver/immunity.  if I were pres. I would stay silent on the issue and then prosecute the entire team upon their return.

The players, yes.  The fans, there's the rub.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies