2011 Governor's Races in LA, MS, and KY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:34:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2011 Governor's Races in LA, MS, and KY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Which of the following states will have a Republican Governor-elect by early November 2011?
Louisiana

Mississippi

Kentucky

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: 2011 Governor's Races in LA, MS, and KY  (Read 22398 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »

Caldwell is not running in Louisiana. No Democrat is willing to be a political kamikaze, and Caldwell has been too close an ally to Jindal to make a credible run. Most likely they'll write off that race and focus on the down-ticket ones.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 04:51:23 PM »

I think we can take KY, though it will be a battle. But I believe there's a good enough storm of the candidate is right.
politicalchick20
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 10:58:07 PM »

I know Jindal will (MUCH more than likely) be reelected, but if there's anyone who would make a respectable sacrificial lamb (even though he just he did it last year), it would be Charlie Melancon. I can't help it--anyone who is willing to take on David Vitter is good in my book (same goes with his reaction to the oil spill).

But alas, a sacrificial lamb he would remain.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 12:15:06 PM »

Melancon hasn't shown an interest, and the Louisiana Democratic Party is defunct for all practical purposes. Louisiana papers have not once mentioned him or the Landrieus (who are also not interested in kamikaze missions, especially Mary in a KBH-ing) as potential candidates.

Blanco: 'Nuff said.
Campbell/Boasso: retread trolls from 2007.
Fayard: the best option. At least it would be a clear contrast (a socially liberal Clintonista, not a Blue Dog like 99% of LA Dems) and a civil discourse. Still a blowout somewhere in the 60s no matter how you spin it, perhaps higher if the Dems are reduced to white liberals and blacks, to be crude about it.
Jim Shaw: not running, he's made noises before and has his own ethical issues.

I don't expect any announcements until after SOTS or even the spring, depending on how Balkanized the field gets.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »

I know Jindal will (MUCH more than likely) be reelected, but if there's anyone who would make a respectable sacrificial lamb (even though he just he did it last year), it would be Charlie Melancon. I can't help it--anyone who is willing to take on David Vitter is good in my book (same goes with his reaction to the oil spill).

Melancon wasn't a sacrificial lamb last year. He went into the race thinking he'd be competitive due to Vitter's personal problems; he didn't foresee the GOP wave either. If it were a normal state, Melancon would have defeteated Vitter. Unfortunatly, due to the GOP wave, Vitter got a free pass on his scandals, so Mealncon didn't have much to run against. I don't think he'd challenge Jindal.
albaleman
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.77, S: -4.52

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 03:01:07 PM »

Unfortunately, he's damaged goods.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 03:23:34 PM »

Edwin Edwards has been released from prison today.

If Buddy Roemer can be president than Edwin Edwards can be governor. Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 05:31:18 PM »

LA fundraising report: Jindal raised $3.6 million last year for a total of $9.2 million in the bank. As the VP would say, this is a BFD due to the dirt-cheapness of media buys. Don't expect the sacrificial lamb (s) to appear before SOTS.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 06:07:58 PM »

Just like in MS and LA the GOP is safe in those states due to the population dipping in the most predominately black perishes that were affected by katrina safe GOP holds.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »

Just like in MS and LA the GOP is safe in those states due to the population dipping in the most predominately black perishes that were affected by katrina safe GOP holds.

The GOP wouldn't be safe in MS if Gene Taylor ran...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:54 AM »

That's actually an intriguing idea....
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »

That's actually an intriguing idea....

He's probably the only Democrat who could win there.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »

I expect Blanco or Fayard to be the Dem's sacrificial lamb in LA. In KY, the GOP will probably nominate Williams, while in MS Bryant will win unless someone like Gene Taylor runs.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 10:52:24 AM »

I expect Blanco or Fayard to be the Dem's sacrificial lamb in LA. In KY, the GOP will probably nominate Williams, while in MS Bryant will win unless someone like Gene Taylor runs.
even if Taylor runs, Bryant wins easily.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 01:47:46 PM »

even if Taylor runs, Bryant wins easily.

I don't think so.
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »

I stumbled across this and thought I'd stop in long enough to input on our gubernatorial race. This race is Phil Bryant's to lose. Should Dave Dennis pull off the upset in the primary, it will be his to lose.

I don't think there is any Democrat - any Democrat - who can win the race. And, yes, that includes Gene Taylor. The race won't be close, either.

After the 1999 elections in which Ronnie Musgrove was elected as Governor, Democrats held 7 of 8 Statewide elected offices (Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, State Treasurer, Attorney General, State Auditor, Commissioner of Agriculture, and Commissioner of Insurance). But, after the 2007 elections, the numbers were reversed. Republicans now hold all of these offices except Attorney General.

Mississippi isn't a State that throws out incumbents often, and yet Haley Barbour defeated Ronnie Musgrove by 7 points in 2003, and we just threw out two incumbent Representatives - including Gene Taylor, I might add.

Long story short, Mississippi is no longer a Democrat State in State elections. The possibility of the GOP taking control of the State House for the first time since reconstruction is very real now. This would have been unthinkable until the last couple of years.

I'll throw this in about Attorney General Jim Hood, too. Don't discount the idea that the Dickie Scruggs trial may have done some not insignificant damage to his political standing. His name popped up a lot during that ordeal.

Is a Dem win impossible? No, nothing is impossible in politics, but I'll believe it when I see it and not before.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »

Nothing but a pipe dream that dems will win MS.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 02:24:37 PM »

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »

Louisiana and Mississippi, maybe Kentucky too.

The Republicans are safe in Mississippi (it's only semi-competitive if Taylor runs), and they're safe in Louisiana. As far as Melancon running, as Miles said, he only ran for Senate because he thought he'd be competitive against Vitter (which I'm sure he was, until the wave). Without that, he wouldn't have ran for Senate. I don't think he challenges Jindal, so I'm marking him as safe too.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2011, 02:20:55 AM »

Wave or no wave, Melancon was never going to be competitive against Vitter.

Also, with La. losing a congressional seat, Melancon felt his chances of being in Congress Jan. 13 were higher running against Vitter than staying in the house. Jeff Landry who won the seat is probably on his way out.

I don't see any major Dem's running against Jindal. Maybe a few term limited state legislatures will run.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »

Wave or no wave, Melancon was never going to be competitive against Vitter.

If Vitter were up in 2008 Melancon would have been very competitive; the prostitute scandal would have been more fresh back then.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »

Jindal's first ads on the air. Half the white Dems in the legislature are in swing seats, redistricting and the fact that their tacit concession might well be backed up by not running a candidate, makes for an all-but-dead Democratic Party. Somewhere in the 60s...

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/03/gov_bobby_jindal_launches_firs.html
BillyW
Rookie
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2011, 11:23:54 AM »

I am betting they would be. Taylor showed remarkable skill at getting re-elected continually in a GOP district. Alas, for him, the clock finally struck midnight in 2010 and he has no glass slipper
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2011, 04:18:10 PM »

LA is safe GOP. Mitch Landrieu is basically the only candidate that could possibly face Jindal, and he'd rather wait till 2015 and face Jay Dardenne or whoever for the open seat.

I don't see any D winning in Mississippi, barring something crazy happening.

I'd assume Beshears hangs on in Kentucky but I dunno much about the state.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »

Any more news on a possible candidate against Jindal? Not even a high profile one but any at all?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies