Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 05:17:32 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  New Hampshire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: New Hampshire  (Read 14230 times)
NHPolitico
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2004, 04:30:15 pm »
Ignore

Well, if New Hampshire truly does support fiscal responsibility and smaller government, I can't see how Bush would be popular there. Rather, it seems that New Hamsphire likes tax cuts, period.

It's like David Brooks has said, the modern Republican Party has basicly declared defeat on things like Social Security, Medicare, Welfare, Medicaid, the Dept of Education, etc.  The GOP now stands for trying to bring some free marketism to these programs, but they don't disagree with these programs' right to exist.  GOP voters here in NH and across the country don't expect Bush to shut down these programs and departments.  

Of the $209B three-year discretionary increase under Bush, 76% of that increase ($159B) has been for defense and domestic security.

During that same period, spending for all remaining discretionary programs has grown from $331B to $381B. That's 15%, or 5% a year.

Yes, spending could have been cut even less than 5% per year, but Bush wanted to give prescription drug coverage to the elderly, subsidies to farmers, etc. (the compassionate part of his agenda, I guess). Voters can tell him in November if they disagree with spending on these programs.

"I like to help old ladies across the street. Sometimes they don't want to be helped. It's terrible." -- Barry Seinfeld
Don't tell me we can't change.
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2004, 07:53:55 pm »
Ignore

I will say that social conservatism isn't a big factor here.  New England believes in Frost's "good fences make good neighbors" statement. New Hampshire pretty much does, too.  There are far fewer churches in the region-- even in Republican New Hampshire-- than in Southern states. The churches we do have are dry and non-controversial. Even Yankee catholic churches aren't as strict as varieties elsewhere.

So, on social issues, NH would be in the middle of the pack nationally on abortion, gay rights, Iraqi war, etc.?

Would Democrats be competitive if they ran as a fiscal conservative and a social liberal?

Also, isn't it true that NH is the only state that doesn't require a car driver or passenger to wear a seatbelt?

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

NHPolitico
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2004, 09:39:28 am »
Ignore

I will say that social conservatism isn't a big factor here.  New England believes in Frost's "good fences make good neighbors" statement. New Hampshire pretty much does, too.  There are far fewer churches in the region-- even in Republican New Hampshire-- than in Southern states. The churches we do have are dry and non-controversial. Even Yankee catholic churches aren't as strict as varieties elsewhere.

So, on social issues, NH would be in the middle of the pack nationally on abortion, gay rights, Iraqi war, etc.?

Would Democrats be competitive if they ran as a fiscal conservative and a social liberal?

Also, isn't it true that NH is the only state that doesn't require a car driver or passenger to wear a seatbelt?

It's true that we don't have adult seatbelt laws, yes.

Culturally, the state is libertarian.  They support the war, though, and support some limits on abortion access.

"I like to help old ladies across the street. Sometimes they don't want to be helped. It's terrible." -- Barry Seinfeld
Don't tell me we can't change.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout